Topic: How is your car registered?

I'm assuming many of the heavily modded ones are PNO. Is that the case for most Lemons?

And what, if any, insurance do you have?

Re: How is your car registered?

All of mine have been street legal and registered -- the current two have collector plates.  I just carry liability insurance.

They are not "heavily" modified.  Both are relatively stock except for all the safety equipment.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Some are registered, but I bet most are not, and many have been purchased on just a bill of sale.  Lemons does not care about documentation status, they are a sanctuary organization for race cars.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I'm pretty sure my car has seen at least 4 owners through cash and handshake deals so the sky will turn orange before it ever gets registered and insured. I don't really think level of modification dictates whether or not it's registered.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Semi daily driven racecar here in Florida, I simply failed to mention anything more then "I want tags" when buying insurance and going to the tax collector.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I picked up my two-stroke '67 SAAB 96 in 2002 from the president of the local SAAB club who had dragged it home from a farmer's field before realizing that he didn't actually want it as a project. I got it running and used it as a daily driver for about a decade before turning it into a Lemons car all while continuing to use it as a daily driver. Heck, I drove it to (and from!) work today. It qualifies by age for collector plates but, given that I do use it far beyond my state's legal limits for those, it's on regular registration with the vanity plate 24H LEM.

It's got "normal" insurance, nothing collectible or otherwise special, with the usual mix of liability, personal injury, and uninsured/underinsured coverage. It's the same policy I've had on it from the beginning.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Ours is tagged as Historic in Maryland. No inspection and tags are 1/3rd the cost of normal, there are some driving restrictions, but it works for us. This allows us to test and tune the car w/o having to go to the track.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Ours is registered and insured, while not required it is nice being able to test drive it while we’re working on it.  Also on race weekends we drive it to gas station 5 min away to fill it up before sessions.  Registration and liability insurance for a 95 S10 costs approx 14 Rubles.

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

Ours is a class C car and is insured and registered. Being able to drive it and test it out for several hours on a road trip I find is very helpful. Plus, it just looks cool!

Cordoba

Our car didn't have a title when purchased (I checked VIN to make sure it wasn't stolen- it wasn't), it just had a salvage title and didn't get transferred once sold from the auctioneers/etc. Anyways, we registered it in Vermont (you can register a vehicle without a title if it is 15 years or older with a bill of sale, even if you live out of state). That gave us plates allowing us to drive on road. Lemons aint care- it's just good for us to do some test shakedowns/etc (we've also driven it to and from a race before- That takes balls if you don't have a backup plan to get it back from the race).

As for insurance, I can't recommend Hagerty Insurance enough. We have insurance on our car and they offer race car insurance. Hella good company, they are the best.

It turns out that another good reason to keep a Lemons race car registered and insured is that one never knows when it'll be necessary to strap a couple of sets of launch rails to the roof rack, hook up a porta-potty trailer, then drive out to be the Range Safety Officer at a high-power rocket launch. It's best to be prepared, just in case.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53279073650_a6d22436d6_b.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

BigJerm wrote:

I'm assuming many of the heavily modded ones are PNO. Is that the case for most Lemons?

And what, if any, insurance do you have?

We use Historic tags (Maryland) no inspection needed, but only gives you limited street use. I have insurance thru Erie. It's about $120/year.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I imagine it varies heavily by state.

Back in VA there is a yearly inspection so might be hard to stay registered

I here Cali has tight emissions and cops actually pull you over if they think your cars has no cat or is otherwise a problem

Here in Washington state nobody checks nothing, just go ask for tags and make sure all the lights work before driving (I also like having a muffler to keep harassment to a min.

We also store ours outside so it has all the glass.  Our paint job is pretty loud however but that's not illegal lol

Yeah, PNO is a Cali thing as far as I know. States with annual inspections seem to have alternate paths for "vintage" or "classic" cars, with definitions, restrictions, and enforcement apparently very variable.

That guy

None are registered.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I keep mine with valid tags -- keeps the department of neighborhood standards off my back when they're in the driveway.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Just ran into this with the Jag.  It has been street registered/insured in CA.  Still passes smog, etc.  My insurance company has a max limit of 7 cars so when we bought a new car I either needed to start a 2nd policy or drop a car.  I dropped the Jag and then ignored the registration request.  Months later I got a letter from DMV saying they were sending me to collections.  So I guess from now on I either need to PNO the car or say I sold it to some non-existent person.

But to answer the original question, the car was previously street registered and driven with normal liability car insurance.  I just continue that once it was converted.  In my experience, I've never been asked for an inspection or pictures with basic liability coverage so you probably can go that route.  I just wouldn't plan on being in a situation where you need to make or receive a claim.  In CA, they will suspend your registration if you don't have insurance.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)