Topic: What are you using for dash material?

Searched for this, I know it has to be answered somewhere but couldn’t find it. 

Factory dash removed (because yeah that 9 lbs was holding us back, not our 88hp engine).  Anyway, we have a dash bar, and we have our factory instrument cluster secured. I would mostly just like it to all look cleaner and maybe have a spot or two to put some other gauges like oil and trans temp.  So whatever it is can be lightweight and light duty, just easy to work with and won’t melt in the sun. What are you guys using and where are you buying it?

Thanks!

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

Re: What are you using for dash material?

Aluminum panel from the windshield cowl to the dash bar.

Or make a bracket off the dashbar to hold the cluster and they sell rollbar mounts for gauges.

Currently we have the gauges taped to the dashbar since we are going to be changing all of it in the somewhat near future.

Use Aluminum. I had some scrap stainless and attempted to make a dash bezel last night that ended in tears and drinking...

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Also, use self-etching primer spray paint on the cleaned aluminum and then flat black spray paint to finish. Flat black will cut out all the glare around the dashboard and make the gauges pop out for visibility.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

We bought large dark grey pillow cases that are affixed with binder clips and zip ties.  Keeps the worst of the glare off the windshield and the tangle of wiring hidden.

Jegs aluminum dash panel, spray painted flat black.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Factory dash with gauges and switches in aluminum panels.
We didn't need to delete the dash for the dash bar, just remove-cut-replace.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Hey look, another XR4Ti team! The fastest growing segment in 1980's Lemons technology...

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Factory dash with gauges and switches in aluminum panels.
We didn't need to delete the dash for the dash bar, just remove-cut-replace.

We went custom.

Pink foam from home depot (thin stuff, used as house wrap, comes in a fanfold sheet)
1/8" Hardboard
More Pink foam

All spray glued together in a nice sandwich.

It acts as padding, gives the gauges something to bite into, is flexible, cheap, and looks like dog shit. Matches the rest of the car. lol

Oh, and we just zip tied it to the dash bar.

I used a piece of leftover Lexan for our dash.

https://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/Team%20Super%20Westerfield%20Bros/20150125_140325_zpsgyanvftx.jpg

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!