51 (edited by hkerekes 2022-03-22 08:01 PM)

Re: CYBERFUKD Sonoma March 2022 Wrapup

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

I'm pretty sure he gets it, I think he's just venting. And I think it was only 13 points.

I think a change to a "black flag could result in: change the driver" protocol to remind drivers "the series sets the rules", and: "this ain't 'SIM' racing, humans are involved, so don't be an asshat, and don't f'n hit things" is a reasonable response to 'generally worse asshattery', until the asshattery subsides.

I also think an implied "let someone else turn some laps for a while, and you go talk over what just happened with your team's (other) experienced members" is a quite reasonable result for the driver and the team.

i wasnt even driving that car, on that team, or at Sonoma, and havent been yanked regardless.    Everyone i guess is assuming that?       Either way, im not mad at anyone and would like some consistency, thats all.    Im still going to races and still having fun doing it.

1. I understood that - I read the whole thread, and I think several others also understood that as well.

2. [snip]  Consistency is good.

3. Good to know! This is the _best_ result.

mharrell wrote:
That_Noise_Is_Normal wrote:

How about tracking black flags by driver, and if they go the weekend without one they get a “I wasn’t a jackwagon at ____ racetrack 2022” sticker to put on their helmet.  Personally, I if I’m  getting in for my last stint and have no flags so far, I’m gonna be trying to get that 5 cent sticker.

Thus begins the Great Helmet Swapping Scandal of the 2023 Season...

Ha!  I guess the sticker might become the equivalent of those “I donated to the sheriff’s fundraiser” stickers that you used to see  :-)

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

Well now that the penalty fairness angle is thoroughly beaten to death. 

I've been wondering about that strip of extra sticky asphalt.  I was at Sonoma in December and it messed with me.  I was lucky, I didn't spin, I but I did lockup front tire that was on the old asphalt and I got a little out of shape but lucky again no flat spot.  After that I always made sure I was either to the left of the right of that strip. And I warned my team mates about it.

Does anyone know the backstory on that?  Did some yahoo plow up 200 yards of asphalt with their front brakes after loosing a wheel? 

There is a similar strip of asphalt at the bottom of the carousel, that one also has more grip than the surrounding asphalt.

ukemike wrote:

Well now that the penalty fairness angle is thoroughly beaten to death. 

I've been wondering about that strip of extra sticky asphalt.  I was at Sonoma in December and it messed with me.  I was lucky, I didn't spin, I but I did lockup front tire that was on the old asphalt and I got a little out of shape but lucky again no flat spot.  After that I always made sure I was either to the left of the right of that strip. And I warned my team mates about it.

Does anyone know the backstory on that?  Did some yahoo plow up 200 yards of asphalt with their front brakes after loosing a wheel? 

There is a similar strip of asphalt at the bottom of the carousel, that one also has more grip than the surrounding asphalt.

I believe there used to be a seam that allowed water to percolate up.

cheseroo wrote:
hkerekes wrote:

....They penalized the entire team because of someones feelings.

Yup, and I'm happy they did.  Nothing against the cybertruck people at all.  They weren't the only ones this happened to.  If a race starts out going south with the very first 40 minutes under yellow with constant driver fuckups, I wholeheartedly agree with HQ pulling drivers until it stops.  What about the other 100+ teams that can't race because people can't stop spinning?  The many are getting penalized because of the few.  Lastly, we won class in this very race last year after having a driver pulled early on so it's not a death sentance.

I'm really glad someone mentioned the teams that did nothing wrong.  I was out there for the first stint Saturday and my entire hour and half stint I got 10 green laps.  It's zero fun driving around in a parade.  10 green laps sure makes it tough to make it feel like all the effort that goes into getting a car and team ready to race is even worth it.  Thankfully Sunday was much better and I got a ton of green.  Saturday was the worst I've ever seen though.  I had a mercedes spin right across my hood and HARD into the wall coming out of the esses.  Who spins out there with no contact?  I had never seen that before.  At any rate...hoping for a much cleaner start at Buttonwillow.

e8r23i80c wrote:
cheseroo wrote:
hkerekes wrote:

....They penalized the entire team because of someones feelings.

Yup, and I'm happy they did.  Nothing against the cybertruck people at all.  They weren't the only ones this happened to.  If a race starts out going south with the very first 40 minutes under yellow with constant driver fuckups, I wholeheartedly agree with HQ pulling drivers until it stops.  What about the other 100+ teams that can't race because people can't stop spinning?  The many are getting penalized because of the few.  Lastly, we won class in this very race last year after having a driver pulled early on so it's not a death sentance.

I'm really glad someone mentioned the teams that did nothing wrong.  I was out there for the first stint Saturday and my entire hour and half stint I got 10 green laps.  It's zero fun driving around in a parade.  10 green laps sure makes it tough to make it feel like all the effort that goes into getting a car and team ready to race is even worth it.  Thankfully Sunday was much better and I got a ton of green.  Saturday was the worst I've ever seen though.  I had a mercedes spin right across my hood and HARD into the wall coming out of the esses.  Who spins out there with no contact?  I had never seen that before.  At any rate...hoping for a much cleaner start at Buttonwillow.

My gut tells me 140 cars is a lot for this track.  It was the same situation in December 2021.  The visibility at Buttonwillow is far better and it's 30% longer than Sonoma.

Bricoop wrote:

My gut tells me 140 cars is a lot for this track.  It was the same situation in December 2021.

I think this is a big part of what makes Lemons so fun.  So many opportunities to pass so many challenges to work through.  One minute you've got 5 cars in front, 2 are slower but two are race leaders and one is an close match, you have to find a way through unscathed.  A minute later you're reeling in one evenly matched car looking for a mistake or a chance to out brake, A few minutes later you're stuck behind a slow group that's filling the whole track while getting pressure from behind from that car you finally just got around.  Then you get 5 more challenges on the next lap.

My team is rarely are anywhere near contention, but last Dec at Sonoma I went from 50th to 13th in an hour and a half on saturday 2nd stint, and it was so soooo much fun.  No way I could have done anything like that if there weren't 140 cars in the race.  Think about this: we get more experience at traffic than many of the pros.  About the only time F1 is as bunched up as a normal Lemons at Sonoma is on the start or on restarts and half the time they blow it.  Our races are like an F1 restart lap for 500 miles.  I love it.

ukemike wrote:
Bricoop wrote:

My gut tells me 140 cars is a lot for this track.  It was the same situation in December 2021.

I think this is a big part of what makes Lemons so fun.  So many opportunities to pass so many challenges to work through.  One minute you've got 5 cars in front, 2 are slower but two are race leaders and one is an close match, you have to find a way through unscathed.  A minute later you're reeling in one evenly matched car looking for a mistake or a chance to out brake, A few minutes later you're stuck behind a slow group that's filling the whole track while getting pressure from behind from that car you finally just got around.  Then you get 5 more challenges on the next lap.

My team is rarely are anywhere near contention, but last Dec at Sonoma I went from 50th to 13th in an hour and a half on saturday 2nd stint, and it was so soooo much fun.  No way I could have done anything like that if there weren't 140 cars in the race.  Think about this: we get more experience at traffic than many of the pros.  About the only time F1 is as bunched up as a normal Lemons at Sonoma is on the start or on restarts and half the time they blow it.  Our races are like an F1 restart lap for 500 miles.  I love it.

Absolutely, It's a freaking blast.  Nothing more fun than wheel to wheel racing with cars all around you, figuring out how to make runs and time your passes, etc, etc.    On the other hand coming up to a line of stopped cars before ever seeing a yellow because the flagger hasn't been notified there's a 50 car backup around the next turn isn't very fun.

You going to Thunderhill, Mike?

ukemike wrote:

...I think this is a big part of what makes Lemons so fun.  So many opportunities to pass so many challenges to work through.  One minute you've got 5 cars in front, 2 are slower but two are race leaders and one is an close match, you have to find a way through unscathed.  A minute later you're reeling in one evenly matched car looking for a mistake or a chance to out brake, A few minutes later you're stuck behind a slow group that's filling the whole track while getting pressure from behind from that car you finally just got around.  Then you get 5 more challenges on the next lap.

I could not agree more, the challenging race action in Lemons is one of the best parts.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

My first Lemons race was 2014 at Sonoma. We had 186 cars on track and I was driving a Ford Pinto. It was Chaos and I loved every second of it.   For the most part, driving isn't too agro and people give space, point by's and don't shove their cars in spots they shouldn't. We are all human and sometimes do dumb things but it doesn't seem to be the norm. Also everyone is so helpful to each other and don't take themselves too seriously.
This is why I choose Lemons over other race series.

Sorry For Party Racing, Ran When Parked Racing. #3 eLSS Camino, #21 TWAP Solstice.
WAP Pontiac Solstice (RIP)2007-2023