Topic: More Radio Drama!!!!

We have a standard Nascar Harness in the car and are attempting to get Baofeng radios to connect to the harness, To no avail. We seem to have all the correct harnesses and jumpers.
We have no audio or transmit in any headset.
We have tried multiple harnesses and radios, as well as head sets.
I'm sure we are missing something with either the programming or compatibility of the system.
HELP.....Please!!!!

Manny

2 (edited by TheEngineer 2022-04-13 06:12 AM)

Re: More Radio Drama!!!!

Assuming that the radios work fine with no headset plugged in, it won't be programming. Likely just wiring. I gave up on finding adapters and just made my own.

this is the pinout I made and follow for all my radio stuff, give me a minute to go remember what the nascar pinouts are.
You can largely ignore the left side of the diagram, the important part is the pinout of the 2.5/3.5mm that plugs into the radio. You should be able to use that to figure out an adapter. The resistor and cap values are also kind of dependant on the speakers/mic you use, I think in most cases you can just remove them, though it can help to put something inline with the mic if you find it's just blowing out the radio.
https://i.imgur.com/lDj1Uq7.png

Edit: This is a general pinout cheat sheet for the various headset pinouts

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0769/ … 3202757896

I'm 100% sure someone can point you at the right parts to buy, but if you want to just make your own let me know and I can send you some part numbers that make it easy.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36642

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

4 (edited by chaase 2022-04-13 09:07 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Assuming that the radios work fine with no headset plugged in, it won't be programming. Likely just wiring. I gave up on finding adapters and just made my own.

this is the pinout I made and follow for all my radio stuff, give me a minute to go remember what the nascar pinouts are.
You can largely ignore the left side of the diagram, the important part is the pinout of the 2.5/3.5mm that plugs into the radio. You should be able to use that to figure out an adapter. The resistor and cap values are also kind of dependant on the speakers/mic you use, I think in most cases you can just remove them, though it can help to put something inline with the mic if you find it's just blowing out the radio.
https://i.imgur.com/lDj1Uq7.png

Edit: This is a general pinout cheat sheet for the various headset pinouts

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0769/ … 3202757896

I'm 100% sure someone can point you at the right parts to buy, but if you want to just make your own let me know and I can send you some part numbers that make it easy.

We are pretty sure it is a wiring/connector issue as everything seems to work w/o the car harness attached. We don't know if the problem is before the male DIN connector or after the female DIN  connector. It may be something stupid like the dual plug from radio doesn't have the right male DIN connector wired correctly.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

We are pretty sure it is a wiring/connector issue as everything seems to work w/o the car harness attached. We don't know if the problem is before the male DIN connector or after the female DIN  connector. It may be something stupid like the dual plug from radio doesn't have the right male DIN connector wired correctly.

Can you probe the various pieces to get a pinout to see what you have? Start with the part that plugs into the radio, buzz it out with a multimeter to figure out where each pin on the DIN traces to on the radio connector?

If you can get a full pinout I can probably point you at which pieces might be getting crossed. Or a link to what pieces you bought?

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Mkotzias wrote:

We have a standard Nascar Harness in the car and are attempting to get Baofeng radios to connect to the harness, To no avail.

Assuming that the radios transmit and receive fine without the headsets....

It could be that your headsets are wired for OMTP and you harness is expecting CITA, vice versa. If so, there are cheap adapters on Amazon.

Otherwise, let's see your complete setup, what are the radios, connectors, harnesses and headsets?

For reference, here is my setup:

GMRS V1 Radio K1 connector ---- K1 connector PTT Button CITA connector ---- CITA Connector Adapter OMTP connector ------ OMTP connector Helmet Headset

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

7 (edited by chaase 2022-04-13 11:03 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:
chaase wrote:

Can you probe the various pieces to get a pinout to see what you have? Start with the part that plugs into the radio, buzz it out with a multimeter to figure out where each pin on the DIN traces to on the radio connector?

If you can get a full pinout I can probably point you at which pieces might be getting crossed. Or a link to what pieces you bought?

That's the likely next step. I am not sure of the exact model but its one like this. There is some connector that goes from the radio to the NASCAR harness mounted in the car.

https://baofengtech.com/product/uv-25x4/

The user manual here might have all the information we need since it has the pin outs for the RJ45 connector on the front and the TRSS output on the back. We can probably make it work since we know the NASCAR pin configuration.

EDIT: The manual is here and it shows the pin-outs of the connections to the radio.

https://baofengtech.com/wp-content/uplo … -Guide.pdf

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Oh, so not one of the handheld baofengs. So my diagram up there is not helpful at all.

Let me dig into the manual for a minute, never touched that style of radio or harnesses for them.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

9 (edited by chaase 2022-04-13 12:12 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Oh, so not one of the handheld baofengs. So my diagram up there is not helpful at all.

Let me dig into the manual for a minute, never touched that style of radio or harnesses for them.

The diagram above is helpful to a point. I think we have hand held units as well but we were working on the in-car units. If you read the manual there is an RJ45 plug for a hand-mic and I think a TRRS in the back. The wiring schematic is in their for both. If I understand it all correctly, it may just be a matter of creating a TRRS plug to NASCAR plug adapter. I just forget if we have male or female plugs in the helmet kits. I don't have one in front of me right now.

I think I would just make your own adapter based on that manual. It would be easy.

If you used the TRRS, grab something like this that has a nice molded connector with cable already on it:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det … 41/2350244

Then grab a TRS 6.35 (1/4) jack
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det … 0A/9486690

Or Plug if that's how you're setup
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det … 0A/9486687

Add the PTT between the two and you're good to go. I can draw or review a wiring diagram if it's helpful.

You could do the same with the RJ45 on the front. Grab a pre-made ethernet cable, cut, then wire up to the new jack and PTT.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

I think I would just make your own adapter based on that manual. It would be easy.

If you used the TRRS, grab something like this that has a nice molded connector with cable already on it:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det … 41/2350244

Then grab a TRS 6.35 (1/4) jack
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det … 0A/9486690

Or Plug if that's how you're setup
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det … 0A/9486687

Add the PTT between the two and you're good to go. I can draw or review a wiring diagram if it's helpful.

You could do the same with the RJ45 on the front. Grab a pre-made ethernet cable, cut, then wire up to the new jack and PTT.

That's what I think will be the best path.  We can order up a bunch of connectors/plugins and make one for each car + spares

This sounds really complicated.  I just call Troy and it works.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Thank You for the insight everyone.

VKZ24 wrote:

There are days I wish my brain worked this way, my life would be simpler. But I look at stuff like this and go "I need to know how it works". Turns out radio harnesses are straight forward if you can use a soldering iron, honestly easier than installing a kill switch in the race car. Totally respect those that just don't want to do it themselves and just want a think that works though.

Small insight into how my head works. My TIG welder stopped recognizing that a pedal was plugged in, only acted like the on/off finger switch. Could buy a new board for $135, but I decided to diagnose. Found that the cheap relay that activates when the pedal is plugged in died, so I pulled it off the board and installed a new one, fixed the welder for $1.50. Then I started looking at wireless TIG pedals thinking "That would be nice, but they're expensive". So now I'm halfway down the rabbit hole of designing my own. And the scary thing is it works. I'm waiting on some custom sheet metal and custom PCBs to arrive and I'll have my own pedal that can be used wired or wireless. Did I need to do this? No. Did I want to? Apparently.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

15 (edited by chaase 2022-04-14 10:50 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:

That might have been an option initially but we've sunk a fair amount of money into this setup so we need to try and get that working

chaase wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

That might have been an option initially but we've sunk a fair amount of money into this setup so we need to try and get that working

Troy will help you anyway if he can, because he's a fellow Lemons racer, and a super nice guy.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

17 (edited by Troy 2022-05-22 08:49 AM)

Mkotzias wrote:

We have a standard Nascar Harness in the car and are attempting to get Baofeng radios to connect to the harness, To no avail. We seem to have all the correct harnesses and jumpers.
We have no audio or transmit in any headset.
We have tried multiple harnesses and radios, as well as head sets.
I'm sure we are missing something with either the programming or compatibility of the system.
HELP.....Please!!!!

Manny

The standard NASCAR harness does not work with Baofeng/Kenwood.
Your radio jumper is for IMSA.

What model Baofeng did you buy?
Some have case interference issues.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

UV-25X2, UV-25X4, UV-50X2 is what is on the manual. I don't have the radio in front of me to check the actual numbers.
my research got me to the point of a correction adaptor that changes the bottom 2 connections on the plug. I have them but haven't tested them yet.
Thank You Troy!
Manny

Manny those are all Btech Mobile radios.

Btech = Baofeng Tech = US Baofeng Distributor

I do not think there is a jumper for that radio to a traditional NASCAR harness either.

When is your next race?

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

I do not think there is a jumper for that radio to a traditional NASCAR harness either.

When is your next race?

We just ran NJMP and the radios seemed to be working for once. Did you and Manny ever catch up?

21 (edited by Troy 2022-06-13 03:00 PM)

chaase wrote:
Troy wrote:

When is your next race?

We just ran NJMP and the radios seemed to be working for once. Did you and Manny ever catch up?

Manny bought 3 car harnesses from me.

He sent me a message this morning saying the radios worked great and their cars did well.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
chaase wrote:
Troy wrote:

When is your next race?

Many bought 3 car harnesses from me.

He sent me a message this morning saying the radios worked great and their cars did well.

I am his co-captain so I can confirm.