1 (edited by Tiptoe the rat 2022-02-10 09:14 PM)

Topic: Helmet paint???

Many of you know this about me, but I paint model cars and I'm pretty good at it.   Seeing as its time to get a new brain bucket I figured I might try my hand at custom paint job for my new helmet.   Nothing too crazy, just match my suit and gloves I figure.  That being said, what sort of paint should I use on said helmet??  What type, brand, etc??  Should I do any prep work??  Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Re: Helmet paint???

- Practice on an old helmet first.
- Don't paint over any certification stickers.
- Water-based acrylics
- Clear coat intended for plastics

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:

- Practice on an old helmet first.
- Don't paint over any certification stickers.
- Water-based acrylics
- Clear coat intended for plastics

Yes, practice on an old helmet. However, you can use just about any paint on them. Testors model paint is a good low-cost alternative to automotive paint. Also some of the automotive touch up places such as paintscratch.com sell 2oz containers. I use shop line JC 630 on the ones I do.

As for prep scuff the helmet with a gray scothbrite pad, clean with some prep solvent then lay some color down!

If you get it panted and don't feel like you can or want to clear it LMK I can do it for you at a reasonable cost.

2k clearcoat is a really durable paint to protect it after you paint it.

A cheap harbor freight airbrush can lay down color really well with practice.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)