Topic: Safety Car

Are there full course, safety car periods during the race, or do they just call red flags if the crash is bad enough?

Re: Safety Car

There are local yellows that exist just near an incident. There are full-course yellows if there are a few incidents at the same time, if the entire track surface has gotten covered in hooptie slime, etc. There is never a safety car, we are supposed to know to back off a little bit and not pass. There are red flags if the incident is bad enough like a rollover or a car on fire so emergency equipment can roll.

Also a full course black flag, which means everyone proceed to the pits.

Local yellow-No passing until you can see a clear corner worker station
Full Course yellow-No passing, follow the parade around the track
Red Flag-Stop where you are.
Black flags everywhere-no passing, head to the pits.

Bricoop wrote:

Local yellow-No passing until you can see a clear corner worker station

Technically,this is incorrect.....You are to maintain a slow(er) pace until you (safely) pass the incident....

From the 'rules"..
."On yellow, NO PASSING! There’s something dangerous ahead. Stop racing, pay attention to your surroundings and the situation ahead, and proceed in single file at a reasonable pace. BE SURE YOU’RE IN SINGLE FILE AND WELL BELOW RACING SPEED BY THE TIME YOU REACH THE STATION! Remain in single file at a reasonable pace until you are safely past the incident."

Sometimes passing will happen just as soon as you are past the 'incident',.If you wait till you see a clear station,you may get surprised by the SeriousRacerz® blowing by you on both sides.....only to find there is another 'incident' around the next corner...

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Bricoop wrote:

Red Flag-Stop where you are.

Some drivers have mistakenly interpreted this as literally "slam on the brakes in the middle of the track" so it's worth quoting the relevant part of Rule 6.7:

On red, come to a safe, controlled stop as soon as practical. Something has happened that requires all the track resources to resolve before racing can continue. Pull to the outside edge of the pavement in view of a flag station and wait for more instructions.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Good clarifications.  Especially not slamming on the brakes.  Seen that a few times with yellows.

Bricoop wrote:

Good clarifications.  Especially not slamming on the brakes.  Seen that a few times with yellows.

I've seen it with yellows. I've seen it with white flags. I've seen it with black flags. I saw it on a black flag on the last lap and the car that got the flag blew up their brakes and the first and second place cars crashed into each other going across the finish line. That was fun. I've seen it when the flagman removes a jacket. I've seen it with a bag blowing in the wind. There is a lot of standing on the brakes going on.