Topic: What is included in the $500 limit?

Hey guys! I’m sure this one is a really stupid question but what exactly is included in the $500 limit? I know safety isn’t included in that but I’ve been told that things like extra gauges or tires aren’t Included so we’re just a little confused. Again I’m very sorry if this is a stupid question

Re: What is included in the $500 limit?

Again, not stupid - you need to know this.

Tons of information already in this forum:

- Teams near you, if you notice sigs/profiles, and read threads.

- This question was asked 4 times in the 3 most recent pages of this Lemons Newcomers subsection.

I spent a year and a half lurking here before registering; yet I still have questions from time to time.

Welcome, and have fun!

3 (edited by chaase 2022-05-02 08:49 AM)

darthkartracer wrote:

Hey guys! I’m sure this one is a really stupid question but what exactly is included in the $500 limit? I know safety isn’t included in that but I’ve been told that things like extra gauges or tires aren’t Included so we’re just a little confused. Again I’m very sorry if this is a stupid question

Theme is exempt
Driver comfort/information is exempt
Spare parts are basically exempt unless you try and tech with one set of shocks and then install cheaty coil-overs before the green flag.

The judges looks for things that will make the car faster and/or more reliable but none of that matters if you bring a terrible car.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

darthkartracer wrote:

The rules outline this pretty clearly, but there are still grey areas they let slide. I think you posted that you have a civic? You'll be fine as long as you aren't upgrading anything outside of wheels/tires/brakes. Judges don't sweat hondas too much. If you're running an e30 or miata it's a good idea to have your paperwork and books in check since they'll argue with you for penalty laps almost every time, unless you roll into tech with rod knock. An old honda... unless you show up with a turbo and ohlins you won't have to show any documentation to avoid penalty laps.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

darthkartracer wrote:

Start by reading the RULES...

4.2.1     In addition to the items and processes listed in Section 3, the following are considered safety-related and are therefore exempt:

Wheels, tires, wheel bearings, ball joints, and brake components
Exhaust systems downstream of the header/exhaust manifold (NOTE: Turbos and related components are NOT exempt from the $500 limit. Nice try.)
Windshields and wipers
Driver comfort & information (steering wheel, shifter, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio)
All fuel hoses, fuel fittings, fuel filters, and related mounts; and
All fuel-system components upstream of the fuel pump, including fuel tanks, fuel cells, mounts, fillers, vents, etc. (NOTE: Fuel pumps, carburetors, injection pumps, computers, and individual injectors are NOT exempt from the $500 limit.)

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I’d suggest not overlooking reliability stuff like wheel bearings, ball joints, and the like.  We ran through all that stuff and either replaced or at least greased it as best we could.  Wound up being able to run all weekend for 2 races with with a 250k mile vehicle that I spent 2015-2020 mowing around. You will see wheels come off of cars, tie rods break, and hoses explode, which is fun but probably less fun if it’s your own car.

Glad you’ve chosen this as the method for separating yourself from your money, if you take the right approach you won’t regret it.

Have fun!

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10