Topic: Tube Bending Troubles

Hey everyone I'm currently working on a solar powered project car for my university's competition team. We already have the majority of the frame done but are stuck at the roll cage. The roll uses tubes that are 1.625 outer diameter chromoly steel with a wall thickness of 0.083. Does anyone happen to know somebody in Georgia ,preferably in the Marietta area, that has a two bender with 1- 5/8 inch size die, we can hire to bend the tubes for us. I've already contacted local machine shops and drag race shops but those places either want to sell me stock (we already have the stock when you bent), or have a turnaround time 6 weeks out.

Re: Tube Bending Troubles

question.... why are you looking for a die differently sized than your tube? Tube is measured by outer diameter.

If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Re: Tube Bending Troubles

zac.s.caldwell wrote:

question.... why are you looking for a die differently sized than your tube? Tube is measured by outer diameter.

1-5/8 = 1.625, their numbers are consistent.

To the OP, if you can't find someone with that Die size, they usually aren't overly expensive, the dies for a JDsquared Model 32 (i don't know what bender you have, so I picked a common one) are around $300,  don't know if that's something the university would cover for the project, or how strapped your team's budget is.

Most common roll cage sizes for Lemons/similar are 1-1/2 and 1-3/4, not as often 1-5/8. But hopefully someone can point you to a local shop or team that may have one to loan or bend for you.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice