Topic: Fire suppression - is Lifeline Zero 2020 enough?

The rules specifies:

3.6.3     Onboard Fire Suppression System. A fully charged, securely mounted SFI 17.1- or FIA 8865 Technical List 16- or Technical List 52-certified onboard fire-suppression system is mandatory. Minimum acceptable is a 4-liter or 2.25-kilo;

However, the 24hoursoflemons store is selling the Lifeline Zero 2020 3 Liter system (24hoursoflemons.myshopify.com/collections/safety/products/lifeline-zero-2020-fire-marshal-fia-fire-system-3-liter-mechanical).

What gives? Will the judges accept this system, even though it's smaller than 4 liters?

2 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2022-05-11 06:37 PM)

Re: Fire suppression - is Lifeline Zero 2020 enough?

If you read the description:

"... Passing FIA's latest Technical List 16 standard, the smaller 3 Liter bottle (generally accepted as a 5 lb system equivalent), ..."

then you do the kilo to pound calculation, and 5 lbs. Is a little more than 2.25 kilos (4.96...).

so it passes by either being:
1.  Tech List 16 compliant, or,
2. by being considered as a 5 lb. equivalent.

(good catch!)

Has anyone ran this system and passed tech inspection?

I don't want to buy it and find out the judges won't accept it!

Its what we have, no issues for tech.

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Just curious, what is your reason for not getting the 4L option? It's on their website and cheaper... that's what were running and we're happy with it.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

6 (edited by TrenchFoot 2022-05-31 10:28 AM)

I just ran into this as well. The only way to go with the 4L AFFF version is to buy the tank separately. John Pagel confirmed that their new 3L system is fine. It's even sold on the Lemons store:

https://24hoursoflemons.myshopify.com/c … mechanical

https://www.lifeline-fire.com/zero2020f … ystem.aspx

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

7 (edited by DirtyDuc 2022-07-01 09:39 PM)

I just tried to refill my Sparco AFFF system (albeit a month or two ago), and the store that was local to the race said that something about the extinguishant caused cancer in California so they weren't selling it anymore. (Sparco is a different supply chain problem, but that's apparently the deal). It seems there are still a few places that will do it, but I suspect that the technology has changed.

Ended up with a new Lifeline in the blue bottle and passed tech swimmingly.

That guy