Topic: $500 Miata my A$$....what would you do with it?

So, years ago we raced a Miata.  It was fun, easy.  Always broke during the race, but we were able to fix it every time and finish, never finished higher than mid pack.  The last 2 years we raced other marks and have yet to finish under our own power. 

About a year ago we started casually looking for a good deal on a Miata, or something otherwise more reliable.  Miata prices, along with all used cars are now through the roof. 

We found the posting for the following Miata 1 state away....and quickly grabbed it up.

https://ibb.co/3f9TXcz

What would you do with this car?  Read carefully....comment thoughtfully.

Re: $500 Miata my A$$....what would you do with it?

Cadillac 4.9 V8 swap will get you into Class C for total DOMINATION (Actually proven...)

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

egesledder wrote:

Cadillac 4.9 V8 swap will get you into Class C for total DOMINATION (Actually proven...)

You've cornered that market.....can't wait to see the 4.9L in the Crossfire!

Oh man, you got that deal?  The ad was written in a shady-way but it also looked like quite the bargain.  We tried to buy it but you were too quick for us!!!

Here's what I would recommend depending on your goals:

Track toy - install the hard dog roll bar, Xida coilovers, and turbo kit (just have to buy the intercooler per the ad).  Swap in the LSD diff.  Use one of the hard tops and uninstall the soft top hardware.  Keep the other hard top to supplement your 401K.  Install the Nardi wheel or not. Sell the DIN touch screen.  Keep the extra motor, transmission, and diff for spares.  Install new bushings as needed.  Have lots of fun at HPR and try not to blow up the motor (maybe do the coolant reroute and install a big radiator). 

Lemons car - sell the roll bar, turbo kit, Nardi wheel, DIN touch screen.  Depending on your build and cage design use or store a hard top.  Keep both or sell to help finance the cage and floor drop pan (a must).  Swap in the 5-speed transmission (I have both and prefer the 5-speed, probably doesn't matter much though).  Swap in the LSD diff.  Keep the other motor, transmission, and diff for spares.  Install the Xida coilovers (cheaty for sure but you have them so why not?).  Install new bushings as needed.  I'd probably install a coolant reroute kit and a shift light set below factory redline.  Make sure to have a spare hub and cam sensors (its a VVT thing) for race day.  Burn off the Federal 595s on test days.

That's a great purchase!

But just to let you know, there's a new rule for the rest of 2022 forward:

They are making any Miata or BMW start on lap number according to this equation:

1900 – Year built = lap number you start on.

;-)

6 (edited by duthehustle93 2022-05-16 11:19 AM)

Great deal and epic ad! You could easily sell the hardtop, Xidas, and misc bits for around $5-6k in todays market... I've been seeing Xidas sell for around $2000-2500 used, same as hardtops. I wouldn't run anything more than a DIY bilstein setup for Lemons. Spirit of the competition for one, but also Xidas have a 100 hour service interval... which is going to really add up for a budget endurance car.

We have a similar situation miata... was a champ car, sold off lots of bits, actually made a few bucks and ended up with a stock running/caged miata with no suspension. Tried finding some cheap OEM suspension, but I had parts in the shed to make 3.5/4th's of a DIY bilsten setup (I was missing one front damper). Found a damper for $60 and completed the DIY billie setup w/ DIY extended top hats. The whole suspension works great for $60 in, but we have to argue to avoid penalty laps every time we go into tech. I would sell everything of value on that car, more $ for beer and seat time, less hassle going through BS.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

7 (edited by bspeed 2022-05-16 02:25 PM)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

That's a great purchase!

They are making any Miata or BMW start on lap number according to this equation:

;-)

HA HA!!!!  We are well aware of this "RULE."   We have circumvented it by selling everything Miata from this car and replacing it with the Caddy that Zigs.  That's right....its a "Cadiquack"  It's no longer a zoom-zoom, but rather a zig-zig.

https://ibb.co/WWDZNzX

https://ibb.co/YtzPmB1

In order to meet the $500 rule we had to sell everything.  (2) engines, (2) diffs, (2) trans, Soft top, Hard Top, Turbo kit, Roll bar, interior, etc!  We have receipts for all the sales.....even some videos like Chris Fix of the parts being sold.  It'll be a legit, within budget, NON-miata, powered by a less reliable engine.

Only thing we kept was the suspension, stock fuel system, stock brakes.

We hope to only run this car this year and then replace it with the true $300 '83 Camaro we have been working on for 2 years.  Problem with the Camaro is that parts are difficult to find cheap. 

This Miata purchase demonstrates that you don't have to buy a $500 car....you just need to take advantage of a divorce or something....and make it a $500 car!

bspeed wrote:
Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

That's a great purchase!

;-)

HA HA!!!!  We are well aware of this "RULE."   We have circumvented it by selling everything Miata from this car and replacing it with the Caddy that Zigs.  That's right....its a "Cadiquack"  It's no longer a zoom-zoom, but rather a zig-zig.

https://ibb.co/WWDZNzX

https://ibb.co/YtzPmB1

In order to meet the $500 rule we had to sell everything.  (2) engines, (2) diffs, (2) trans, Soft top, Hard Top, Turbo kit, Roll bar, interior, etc!  We have receipts for all the sales.....even some videos like Chris Fix of the parts being sold.  It'll be a legit, within budget, NON-miata, powered by a less reliable engine.

Only thing we kept was the suspension, stock fuel system, stock brakes.

We hope to only run this car this year and then replace it with the true $300 '83 Camaro we have been working on for 2 years.  Problem with the Camaro is that parts are difficult to find cheap. 

This Miata purchase demonstrates that you don't have to buy a $500 car....you just need to take advantage of a divorce or something....and make it a $500 car!

You'd better not be teasing me with this. This is a fantastic swap and it's going to be the standard to which I hold all swapped Miatas from now on.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Max wrote:

Oh man, you got that deal?  The ad was written in a shady-way but it also looked like quite the bargain.  We tried to buy it but you were too quick for us!!!

Here's what I would recommend depending on your goals:

Track toy - install the hard dog roll bar, Xida coilovers, and turbo kit (just have to buy the intercooler per the ad).  Swap in the LSD diff.  Use one of the hard tops and uninstall the soft top hardware.  Keep the other hard top to supplement your 401K.  Install the Nardi wheel or not. Sell the DIN touch screen.  Keep the extra motor, transmission, and diff for spares.  Install new bushings as needed.  Have lots of fun at HPR and try not to blow up the motor (maybe do the coolant reroute and install a big radiator). 

Lemons car - sell the roll bar, turbo kit, Nardi wheel, DIN touch screen.  Depending on your build and cage design use or store a hard top.  Keep both or sell to help finance the cage and floor drop pan (a must).  Swap in the 5-speed transmission (I have both and prefer the 5-speed, probably doesn't matter much though).  Swap in the LSD diff.  Keep the other motor, transmission, and diff for spares.  Install the Xida coilovers (cheaty for sure but you have them so why not?).  Install new bushings as needed.  I'd probably install a coolant reroute kit and a shift light set below factory redline.  Make sure to have a spare hub and cam sensors (its a VVT thing) for race day.  Burn off the Federal 595s on test days.

You missed Ecotec Swap!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

therood wrote:

You'd better not be teasing me with this. This is a fantastic swap and it's going to be the standard to which I hold all swapped Miatas from now on.

He wasn't, and the car was very quick.  I forget which caddy v6 model it was, but it could beat our version of a cadillac powered miata on the straights.  It looks pretty cool too with the fastback.  Sounds like it needs some brakes and other upgrades, but it should be a pretty potent contender in the future.

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

I'm told it was a 3.6L V6 out of an SRX, which is decidedly not a Catera motor and considerably more lame (although there are surely some Lemons-grade SRXs out there that you could just run instead). At least make a Mary Kay version out of it.

A legit 54-degree Opel 3.0L is a Class C engine in just about any car I can imagine. There's a loophole you can drive right through there.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

12 (edited by bspeed 2022-06-07 08:02 AM)

Differential was out of a SRX....rest of the drive train is Catera Touring Sedan certified!!!!!!  Judge Phil said not to give out the mix of components to protect the trade secret!  I can say that it includes 2 different vintages of CTS (Catera), 1 Cadillac SRX, 1 chevy equinox, 1 99 miata, ford halfshafts and a Dell computer server.  We figured it paid enough homage to the Catera to justify the theme....  I mean we even made a duck tail for god sake.  The easy button would have been to just run the Miata with spares, but that would have been kinda lame.

Eric....we actually got a legit 54deg 3.0l lined up on Ebay....but it cost MORE than the 3.6l.  (mostly because GM put them in EVERYTHING for 2 decades.....they can be had all day for a few hundred $, in fact we have a back up 3.6l from an Impala)  Good 1.8L miata engines and 5 speed go for $2500 these days, so honestly if folks are looking for a Lemons friendly swap this engine is far better than a SBF or SBC.

As foreseen by Judge Phil, the car broke mid day Sunday with a multitude of issues...that coupled with one newbie driver that had some infractions put us well out of the hunt.  Mechanical issues included but not limited to: Overheating fuel vapor lock, Fuel supply issues, brakes sucking (all around), starter dropping voltage when hot and not wanting to turn, (apparently a known weakness) and a crack engine block not allowing for good grounding.

The race itself is short, the majority of our fun comes from building stuff.  We like to build a new car every year, so we will try to get this one sorted enough to finish then we will completely dominate with the 83 Camaro.....got a great Joker theme for it already in mind.

Had a great time though....lots of neat cars and friendly competition, which is what it is all about.  Right?

bspeed wrote:

Differential was out of a SRX....rest of the drive train is Catera Touring Sedan certified!!!!!!  Judge Phil said not to give out the mix of components to protect the trade secret!  I can say that it includes 2 different vintages of CTS (Catera), 1 Cadillac SRX, I chevy equinox, 1 99 miata, ford halfshafts and a Dell computer server.  We figured it paid enough homage to the Catera to justify the theme....  I mean we even made a duck tail for god sake.  The easy button would have been to just run the Miata with spares, but that would have been kinda lame.

Fair enough, it is an improvement.

bspeed wrote:

Eric....we actually got a legit 54deg 3.0l lined up on Ebay....but it cost MORE than the 3.6l.

It's just one of those engines that's weird enough we don't care about driveline budget at all, though I understand building on your own budget. If you can't find a Cadillac Catera, find yourself a Saturn L300 and you can run Class C all day.

bspeed wrote:

(mostly because GM put them in EVERYTHING for 2 decades.....they can be had all day for a few hundred $, where a good 1.8L miata and 5 speed go for $2500 these days.)  Honestly if folks are looking for a Lemons friendly swap this engine is far better than a SBF or SBC.

Yeah, the GM V6 swap is the worst-kept secret in the crapcan world.

- The 3800 works just as well as most V8s. From 1947 Plymouths to FC RX-7s, they're kind of the gold standard. They make enough torque and burn a reasonable amount of fuel. They're also pretty tough if you don't beat on them. Weak point seems usually to be the transmission.

- The LZ9 (3.9L) is the ultimate form of the 60-degree V6. 240/240 on the power numbers and requires only some minor modifications to drop into the holes meant for the anemic old 2.8L from the same block family.

- The LX9 (3.5L) is the "famous" "Uplander swap" that I've seen a couple of teams upgrade from the 2.8L or 3.1L, most notably the Buick Century that runs in the South and is absolutely crushing it.

Those are of course all purveyors of the GM SOUND OF POWER and also were put into millions of throwaway appliance-grade vehicles and therefore are tailor-made for Lemons.

The LFX is the modern generation and while they're not especially hard to find, I'd expect them to just get tossed into Class A unless they're in a FWD Impala or an SRX or something like that.

The oddballs are the Opel 54-degree V6—only had one that I know of—and the Oldsmobile Shortstar, which we've never had. CLASS C LOOPHOLES RIGHT HERE.

Useless Trivia:
At various times, GM sold V6s from at least four different families that displaced 2.8L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.3L , 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.6L, 3.7L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.1L, and 4.3L. There might be a 4.0L somewhere in that history, too. Most of those displacements have multiple engine families and generations for them.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

When you bring your $500 car to the race, can you replace parts from the pit with new parts, or do these replacement parts count toward the $500. I’ve read the rules but haven’t seen this question addressed. I watched the Chris Fix video in which he brought a replacement crate engine to the race, but didn’t need it. This engine would have exceeded the $500 spending limit. Thanks for your help.

mjohnston wrote:

When you bring your $500 car to the race, can you replace parts from the pit with new parts, or do these replacement parts count toward the $500. I’ve read the rules but haven’t seen this question addressed. I watched the Chris Fix video in which he brought a replacement crate engine to the race, but didn’t need it. This engine would have exceeded the $500 spending limit. Thanks for your help.

If you are doing it after tech to avoid BS then it is a violation of the rules, and if caught, you could get penalized. If something breaks during the race and you run out to buy new, replacement parts, that is fine since you just basically penalized yourself.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:
mjohnston wrote:

If you are doing it after tech to avoid BS then it is a violation of the rules, and if caught, you could get penalized. If something breaks during the race and you run out to buy new, replacement parts, that is fine since you just basically penalized yourself.

Thanks very much.