Re: Dual fuel Chevy Express weirdness

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Final situation:
10.2 gge CNG capacity; around 100 miles around town to be safe

The onboard gas tank is junk, and has been removed.

I think my maximum fill so far has been 7.6(?) gge's when the needle is on the red mark on the gauge. That gives me a nominal 40 mi. buffer after "empty".

So you have 2 or 1 onboard cng tank ? I think max it ever came as dedicated CNG would have been 30gge and like 4 tanks or even 5.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Yes - 10.2 between the two tanks in the rear.

About where a spare tire would normally be hung, and yet also interfering with where a hitch receiver would normally go, dammit.

In the "War and Peace"-length thesis that was my first post:

"Apparently the van _could_ have had another _large_ tank midship, and there was a possibility of a fourth, mounted inside and upright in a rear corner; but this has only the two CNG tanks."

That midship tank was HUGE - took the place of a standard 30+ gal. fuel tank.

I can't find the drawing of the layout of the dedicated CNG vehicle right now. I saw it before first posting the question; I'm describing what i saw.

LOVING the CNG discount: around 15% at the closest pump I can use.

I haven't checked the one about 40 miles away recently. 

Two weeks ago, that was at $2.36 / gge - I had business in that area.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Yes - 10.2 between the two tanks in the rear.

About where a spare tire would normally be hung, and yet also interfering with where a hitch receiver would normally go, dammit.

In the "War and Peace"-length thesis that was my first post:

"Apparently the van _could_ have had another _large_ tank midship, and there was a possibility of a fourth, mounted inside and upright in a rear corner; but this has only the two CNG tanks."

That midship tank was HUGE - took the place of a standard 30+ gal. fuel tank.

I can't find the drawing of the layout of the dedicated CNG vehicle right now. I saw it before first posting the question; I'm describing what i saw.

LOVING the CNG discount: around 15% at the closest pump I can use.

I haven't checked the one about 40 miles away recently. 

Two weeks ago, that was at $2.36 / gge - I had business in that area.

Might be good idea to get that mid ship tank. that would have been the dedicated cng gmc van from my googling. Yours probably was a short haul van and to save some cash they just took out the gasoline bits.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

I'm considering something like that; but a tank large enough to be useful and which would take up the space of the removed gasoline tank would be about triple the original cost to me of the whole vehicle - just for the tank.

Then there's the fact no local dealer has any interest in CNG, or the characteristics of the vehicle, or presumably servicing it. And 3600 psi is nothing to play with. Training helps.

On the other hand, only 60k miles on it. Though also s lot of rust underneath. '01, from MA.

There's also the residual odor of the rodent nest ... I hope it's just residual odor of a nest, instead of a carcass hidden somewhere behind the plastic. I haven't yet stripped the whole interior, but I'll get to it soon - summer is coming!

If by 'short haul' you mean something that would be used in one area local to a CNG pump, then, yes: the property the vehicle was (presumably exclusively) used at had a pump less than 13 miles away. When they ran it on property, it would run pretty clean. I don't know if they had an on-property CNG pump; that could make running something like this incredibly cheap.

I don't know what the "dual-fuel delete" code resulted in changing on the vehicle. Again, no local dealer's service advisors want anything to do with this - they're not interested in doing any research to learn about an outdated vehicle. And yet, the 31 gal. gasoline tank was still there; go figure.

I still haven't pulled the dog box. I'm interested in seeing if there actually are two injection rails. Eventually I'll look to see what's missing with regard to running it on gasoline, just to know what that 'delete' meant.

But that's more because all the disinterested service advisors have made me tired. I've been told I can be a little too particular.

But for now, it's time to replace the 'seeping' brake line before it starts squirting, or even completely ruptures. That's the one section that looks original.

Fun times ahead!