Topic: B.F.E. GP '22 - Entry List & Tech Times!

Man, the Colorado races must be the best assembly of not-intended-for-racetrack stuff. Everyone else should step their shit up: Two Starlets, two Fieros, a Daewoo, a Vega, a Chevette, a TR7, a MTCOTY Malibu, a rental-spec Taurus, a 1950 Dodge Truck, and an Isuzu Impulse. AND Lemons FIRST CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE. Even the "good" cars have solidly stupid swaps: two Cadillac-swapped Miatas, a diesel-swapped Porsche 924, and even the 3000GT is swapped with an Eclipse turbo four-banger.

(Better-res version here. Excel version here.)

https://i.imgur.com/M4wm3ce.jpg

Tech times are on the event page or directly right here.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: B.F.E. GP '22 - Entry List & Tech Times!

The "lesser" caddy swapped Miata is in a frantic rush to try and make the race this weekend.  We found out that our engine block is cracked where the starter 'ought' to mount.  Thus the engine currently has no starter.  After reading the rules there appear to be no rules 'requiring' a starter...so plan B is to push start the car....again I can't find a rule against that....though it might make the people in front of us in the tech inspection line a little uncomfortable.  (though plan A is: jb weld, bubble gum and hope)

Also...the stock Miata rear brake calipers are jacked.  The world seems to be out of everything.  If any teams are going to HPR and have some stock NB rear brake calipers private message me.  If Plan A or Plan B works....Plan C would be to run front brakes only....?

Thrilled to hear we finally have a crossfire. I look forward to seeing how poorly it does.

I wonder if you could wire a removable starter like F1 or dragsters.

OR

weld a strong hex head to it and crank start it like a Model A.

If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

4 (edited by bspeed 2022-05-31 08:16 AM)

Lack of a starter and no rear brakes has to be the new ticket to guarantee Class C.....not saying...just sayin

I was actually looking at some things for a Harley project, and they sell bolt on kickstarters.

That would definitely get some notice.

If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

bspeed wrote:

Also...the stock Miata rear brake calipers are jacked.  The world seems to be out of everything.  If any teams are going to HPR and have some stock NB rear brake calipers private message me.  If Plan A or Plan B works....Plan C would be to run front brakes only....?

There are two Miatas at the Littleton U-Pull.  One is an NB (super-rough) and the other an NA.

I can check my stock of spares tonight.  Might be I have a set of rear brakes

I should have a set of stock NB rears at our shop, if Max doesn't have any I can take a look

You might check with Drew about the rear calipers you're looking for.  The NB Miata came in two flavors: sport (02-05) and non-sport (99-01 depending on the model).  We run the non-sport size on our car and I only keep non-sport calipers as spares.  If you're looking for the sport brakes you might also check the Colorado Miata group on FB.  It's a very active Miata community

bspeed wrote:

Lack of a starter and no rear brakes has to be the new ticket to guarantee Class C.....not saying...just sayin

Do you fuel in the hot pit? If so, it can be quite dangerous for people to regularly have to pop-start a car after each fueling

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Max wrote:

You might check with Drew about the rear calipers you're looking for.  The NB Miata came in two flavors: sport (02-05) and non-sport (99-01 depending on the model).  We run the non-sport size on our car and I only keep non-sport calipers as spares.  If you're looking for the sport brakes you might also check the Colorado Miata group on FB.  It's a very active Miata community

They are Sport size....so far as I can tell....thanks for all the help folks!  More pressing is finding a way to mount the starter....I think we have a solution to try tomorrow....nothing like waiting till the last minute.