Topic: Indiana Guys looking for team

Myself and a few of my buddies (me and 2 others)  have been long time fans of Lemons and want to get a taste of what it’s like to be on a team. We are all college students at Purdue University, some Indiana locals and some not, meaning we don’t really have a home base. We’re wanting to see if any teams are near us and would be willing to give us a Lemons racing experience. Some of us are more mechanically inclined than others, and some of use like organizational stuff. If anyone is willing to take pity on us rookies and take us in, please reach out!

Thanks,

Ethan B

2 (edited by OnkelUdo 2022-05-17 04:50 PM)

Re: Indiana Guys looking for team

We have brought many newbie into the fold over the years.  We do our build days in far South Chicago suburbs (garagemahal) or within spitting distance of the great Metropolis of Gary (my swampy piece of heaven).  We have teammates in Indy, Fort Wayne and various locations in IL.

We are full up for Gingerman in June, already raced Barber, Joliet is unknown but at least our primary car is going to be our only not-newbie approved car.  Gingerman Fall is starting to look like we will need a second car so some opennings there potentially.

Either way, come to Gingerman the weekend of June 25th...preferable Friday by noon'ish so you can get a taste of BS, Tech and hopefully we will have the Potluck that night which gets pretty excellent if it is not storming.  WE are running two cars soI will be hopping about a bit but happy to show you around...half the teammates that weekend are serious Lemons veterans and one is even flying in from California just to drive our stupid cars including a new one this race.https://www.facebook.com/BadDecisionsRacing

Yes, definitely come see a race and talk to some teams, it’s a good time and will motivate you more to do it. Plus you’ll meet people like me and think “well if HE can do it then we definitely can.”

We’re not the team to learn from as it’s only our 2nd year, but we are within an hour of you in Pittsboro.  I’m a Purdue grad (not engineering, so our car is still slow)

If you ever want to stop by I’d be happy to show you how a bunch of hacks took a piece of garbage out of the weeds in my backyard and turned it into a Lemons-legal piece of garbage.

As far as drivers we are unfortunately creeping into 2 car territory as we now have 6 drivers.

Good luck!

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

Thank you both for reaching out!! To That_Noise_Is_Normal, I’d love to visit y’all down at Pittsboro this summer. My email is buck38@purdue.edu if you want to talk details for a visit.

Unfortunately, I have a wedding to attend the Saturday of Gingerman and not sure if I can make it up to the track on Friday to watch tech and BS. If I end up meting able to come to Gingerman, I’ll post here saying so.

Thanks again for the help! OnkelUdo, if my work schedule allows this summer, I’d also like to come up and learn more from your team. Just shoot me an email with possible dates!

5 (edited by That_Noise_Is_Normal 2022-05-19 06:23 AM)

buck38 wrote:

Thank you both for reaching out!! To That_Noise_Is_Normal, I’d love to visit y’all down at Pittsboro this summer. My email is buck38@purdue.edu if you want to talk details for a visit.

Unfortunately, I have a wedding to attend the Saturday of Gingerman and not sure if I can make it up to the track on Friday to watch tech and BS. If I end up meting able to come to Gingerman, I’ll post here saying so.

Thanks again for the help! OnkelUdo, if my work schedule allows this summer, I’d also like to come up and learn more from your team. Just shoot me an email with possible dates!

Sounds good, I’ll be in touch.  You can come visit Freeze Farms to see how to do it the wrong way, then later visit Bad Decisions to learn how to do it the wrong way correctly.

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

6 (edited by SwarlesInCharge 2022-06-04 08:29 AM)

Alum (twice over) here, as well as my original teammates. I ended up starting in 2013 with some fellow interns during the summer while in school still, and was a blast. Then we built this e30 after graduation. If you can, join a SAE team (particularly the more chill and redneck Baja). If you make it to a Gingerman race, I should have my Purdue pop-up tent out. We are full-up on drivers though.

I think there was a young Purdue team with astro-turf on a Z a few years ago but not sure they are still running. If I hear of people looking for seats to fill, I'll point them here.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: Joliet Fall '15, Gingerman Spring '16, Joliet Summer '16, Gingerman Spring '17, NCM '17, Gingerman Summer '21, NCM '21