Re: Caught in a Crossfire

What is the consensus on the Pentastar V6 in Lemons?  Turns out that it will bolt to Crossfire trans, makes about 90hp more, and much cheaper and easier to find parts for.  I'm guessing there haven't been many in Lemons yet, but all the v6 charger/etc things came with them, so there will be soon if not.

Again, probably won't happen until we're tired of the stock 3.2, but it would probably be the easiest/cheapest swap.  I'd still be up for the 4.9 Caddy motor, but the Pentastar makes a pretty healthy amount of power more than it.

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

27 (edited by Camper Van Someren 2022-06-10 05:13 PM)

I’ll just leave this over here. Sorry if I make anyone nauseous with the shaking.

https://youtu.be/uIgZIMx0Z8g

I remember watching that

29 (edited by egesledder 2022-06-13 07:25 AM)

Camper Van Someren wrote:

I’ll just leave this over here. Sorry if I make anyone nauseous with the shaking.

https://youtu.be/uIgZIMx0Z8g

Nice!  Yea, we had 3 rookie drivers cycling through it for the race, probably several of those instances.

So, question still remains, anyone with Pentastar experience in Lemons?

Uh oh, Spaghettios...

egesledder wrote:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who's run one in Lemons. Maybe we've had a V6 Charger or something like that I don't remember, though I think the 3 or 4 LX-platform Chryslers have all been Hemi cars (which demonstrably do NOT dominate at Lemons).

Not that you don't already know this better than anyone else, but that particular loophole is completely unexploited and most Lemons loopholes are largest for the first person to exploit them.

Fun Side Note: When I briefly had the '78 Magnum and was working for Roadkill Sponsored by Dodge(tm), I floated the idea to my editor about Dodge sending me a Pentastar V6 for Lemons duty a la Dodge sending F&F a Hellcat V8 for the General Mayhem. That idea didn't get far because Dodge killed their sponsorship of Roadkill, followed not long after by Discovery killing Roadkill's editorial arm and the Roadkill-Lemons connection by proxy to say nothing of the Magnum folding itself in half on jack stands and therefore going to the scrap heap. But the idea was actually pretty sound: 1.5 times as much horsepower and twice as many gears as a stock B-Body Magnum and less weight than a modern Charger. Probably would have gone reasonably well in a straight line, at least, if it had ever worked.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

31 (edited by chaase 2022-06-13 01:14 PM)

therood wrote:
egesledder wrote:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who's run one in Lemons. Maybe we've had a V6 Charger or something like that I don't remember, though I think the 3 or 4 LX-platform Chryslers have all been Hemi cars (which demonstrably do NOT dominate at Lemons).

Not that you don't already know this better than anyone else, but that particular loophole is completely unexploited and most Lemons loopholes are largest for the first person to exploit them.

Wait...Manny's son drives a 6cyl magnum wagon is that subject to a loophole (not sure I want to torture myself with that vehicle)?

Or did I misunderstand the sentence.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:
therood wrote:
egesledder wrote:

Wait...Manny's son drives a 6cyl magnum wagon is that subject to a loophole (not sure I want to torture myself with that vehicle)?

Especially everything from when Dodge decided they needed to throw out their soft Neon-based image and make EVERYTHING STRAIGHT LINES FOR AMERICAN STRENGTH.

Caliber, Nitro, Avenger, Journey for sure. The Stratus and Intrepid predate that but are probably also going in Class C. I would say any V6 Magnum, Charger, or Challenger with a believable story is probably Class C material.

The only gray areas are V8 Dodges and the Dart. No idea what the hell I'd do with a Dart, but if you want one, they all seem to have migrated to Appalachia. That's where I seem to see them en masse, anyway.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

33 (edited by chaase 2022-06-13 01:27 PM)

therood wrote:
chaase wrote:

Especially everything from when Dodge decided they needed to throw out their soft Neon-based image and make EVERYTHING STRAIGHT LINES FOR AMERICAN STRENGTH.

Caliber, Nitro, Avenger, Journey for sure. The Stratus and Intrepid predate that but are probably also going in Class C. I would say any V6 Magnum, Charger, or Challenger with a believable story is probably Class C material.

The only gray areas are V8 Dodges and the Dart. No idea what the hell I'd do with a Dart, but if you want one, they all seem to have migrated to Appalachia. That's where I seem to see them en masse, anyway.

IIRC, its a teenager driven  2.7L auto that he got used for not a lot of money because the prior owner gave up on it. I don't know if I need another Class C head ache. The Javelin is already a money pit...lol

EDIT: For the record, the 2.7L is garbage even for street use.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

34 (edited by egesledder 2023-09-11 12:38 PM)

Alright, we finally did a race with the crossfire where we got serious about actually racing it.  It was at the HPR 24 hour race this past weekend.  We got into B with zero laps, which I think was fair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskt … e=youtu.be

Overall, we did quite well, ended up 6th overall and 2nd in B with 526 laps total.  The car is quick and has plenty of power, but really can't take a corner well enough to keep up with any of the 3 series bmws or miatas out there that were being driven hard.  We were a good 10 seconds per lap slower on average than most of the top A teams, but not for a lack of trying, lol.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the reliability of the motor though, we ran it very hard for the entire weekend and it never had a hint of an issue until the end when it started burning some oil (burned 2 quarts in 526 laps).  The motor history is totally unknown, this was a salvage Copart car with 112k miles on it, and now probably close to 900 track laps.

The only real upgrade we've done so far is the brakes, we're running some S600 brakes.  We got them from a complete '04 S600 we bought for $240, just for the calipers.  Pulled the junk V12 for a coffee table and scrapped the rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SXx9O1z42o

We ran some $29 Rock Auto Dynamic Friction pads and they worked awesome.  We did need to swap them out for some fresh pads 12 hours in though, 10 minute job.

For now, no motor swaps are planned.  Just need to figure out how to make it go around a corner.  Unfortunately, because no one races these things and they mostly sit in the garages of old men to be taken out only for those occasional drives, there are almost no aftermarket parts for them.  So we'll need to get creative on how we do this.  One of our team mates is the largest online King shocks salesman (Filthy Motorsports), so its tempting to put some offroad coilovers on it somehow.  Maybe set it up so we can change the shock mount locations to lift the car and do some rally hill climb racing?

Uh oh, Spaghettios...

Amazingly modest!  You were only 7 seconds off of FTD!!  Nice work!!!