1 (edited by Leeleelemon 2022-06-17 12:14 AM)

Topic: Acceptance rate

Roughly what percent of registrations get accepted?

I’m asking because I don’t want to buy a car and then get rejected, thus stuck with a lemon that can’t be in Lemons. If the answer is 90% I’m not gonna worry too much. If 50% it gives me a sense of how janky of a car to look for or how creative the theme needs to be.

I’m currently thinking of a salvaged car, along the lines of a 1st gen SLK, 1st gen Hyundai Genesis Coupe, or a high mileage Z3. It’d probably be pretty stock and I’d want it decent enough to play with it on weekends. If these don’t have a good chance of being accepted I don’t want to buy it in the first place. Thanks.

Re: Acceptance rate

Leeleelemon wrote:

I’m asking because I don’t want to buy a car and then get rejected, thus stuck with a lemon that can’t be in Lemons. If the answer is 90% I’m not gonna worry too much. If 50% it gives me a sense of how janky of a car to look for or how creative the theme needs to be.

Where in the US do you plan to race?  Most of the races do not get waitlists so the answer would be 100%.

LAst I knew it was California races and the occasional NE race that have waitlists.

Buttonwillow CA

Register anyways, there's no obligation to get fully paid up until a few weeks before the race.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Leeleelemon wrote:

I’m currently thinking of a salvaged car, along the lines of a 1st gen SLK, 1st gen Hyundai Genesis Coupe, or a high mileage Z3. It’d probably be pretty stock and I’d want it decent enough to play with it on weekends. If these don’t have a good chance of being accepted I don’t want to buy it in the first place. Thanks.

I do not remember a wait list for Buttonwillow in the 8 years I have been doing this.  Only place I have seen a wait list in CA was at Sonoma and it has been several years since I have heard of one.  When there were wait lists they let the more interesting cars in first.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

In response to this same question, others have previously suggested:

Pay early, rather than at the last minute

And:  THEME. if there's any remaining question.

Yeah, Sonoma sees 140+ cars on the track, so they have to limit it. Most other races accept anybody who applies. Even for Sonoma, I seem to remember them saying they wouldn’t turn away first-time teams. After that, as long as you weren’t a dick and you either had an interesting car OR a fun/creative theme, you’re probably still good.

You'll be fine... there was a pretty nice Boxster at Sonoma and a LS swapped e46(?) at HPR and both of them were allowed to race. Not sure if they got penalty laps, but it didn't matter because they we're both only running for a handful of hours until they became a "self solving problem."

Worst case is they'll slap you with penalty laps. I don't think any of the cars you listed would get any penalty laps... might even have a shot at being in class B. They'll be quick, when they're running.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

It used to be when I registered for a race, we had to wait to see if we were accepted and then we could pay.  For the last few years they automatically accept entries and we can pay at any time.  I imagine if they get full they will take first paid?

You can always race Thunderhill, that will never sell out with the five mile track.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Never heard of a car being declined for being too fast.  There have been plenty of proper race cars that have entered. 

@leeleelemon you should be fine for Buttonwillow.  Car counts over the past few years have not come near the limit.