Topic: Legal parts to sell

Hi everyone

I'm trying to figure out what parts can be sold from a car to help lower the total cost...

I'm reading some mixed things. It looks like the rules say selling interior parts doesn't count? But I've also seen stuff that suggests it DOES count to reducing cost??

I assume selling things like a radio and speakers is allowed to lower cost, but what about things like seats, sun roof, trim pieces etc?

Also, if the car has fancier alloy wheels on it than we need, can we sell those even though we are allowed to buy wheels outside of the price?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

2 (edited by chaase 2022-06-19 11:37 AM)

Re: Legal parts to sell

I go by the general rule of if you need it to pass tech and it’s exempt, it doesn’t count. For example, you can’t sell your brake parts and then buying brakes.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

3 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2022-06-19 11:53 AM)

There's tons of information in this forum.

As of May 2022, for a different poster:

"This question was asked 4 times in the 3 most recent pages of this Lemons Newcomers subsection."

Though I spent a year and a half lurking here before registering, I still have questions from time to time, and a part of this was one of those questions.

Welcome, and have fun!

This has been mentioned in quite a few threads but summary is: you can show up with a $50k Bentley continental and end up in class B/C 0 penalty laps and show up with a $200 miata or e30 and be automatically put into class A and prepare to argue to avoid penalty laps. It seems to be more of a spirit of the competition, just show up with $500 worth of performance/reliability and understand it depends on what you start with and the judges discretion. Mentioning what car you are building would help a bunch with this question.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

The rules are situationally applied depending on your team and car.

The rules did get updated at some point to specifically call out interior bits as not being allowed to count towards cost recouping. So you will find older threads/posts saying that interior can be used to recoup costs (several from myself I'm sure), but that seems to be no longer the case.

However depending on the car the judges may care more or less about your specific accounting. If it's a boring car, you'll get sweated more, but worst case is you just get BS laps and still race. If you have a more lemony car they won't even ask.

No matter what you can sell parts and use the money to help pay for all the safety gear and other costs. You just might not be able to apply all sales towards vehicle cost/value.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice