Topic: bracket racing?

anyone familiar with this?
anyone try this?
is it popular?
does it work out fairly?

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

2 (edited by Dudefladge 2022-06-22 02:36 PM)

Re: bracket racing?

Bracket racing as in 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag racing?

Yes!  It's great fun! The key is to run consistent times. It makes it possible for slower cars to be "competitive" with the faster, more expensive ones...

Maybe kinda like the Lemons of drag racing... :-)

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

High school friends racked-up all kinds of trophies bracket racing '66 and '67 1-bbl 6-cylinder/Powerglide Nova sedans and wagons at Fremont Dragstrip. They'd take a couple of practice runs and set their dial-in (the E.T. you are trying to close to, but not go under) for the night and run within 1/100 of a second all night long. They used to piss-off A LOT of other racers. I think that was the point, though.

The idea is you get a head start (the difference between your dial-in and theirs) on the faster car, cut as close to .000 Reaction Time as possible, and get to the Finish Line w/o going quicker than your dial-in.

As far a Fun Factor, YMMV. The idea is to be consistent.
Challenging, but there is way too much wait time for me.
Lemons is way more fun, even if your car doesn't finish.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1010920 … 127694035/

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Dudefladge wrote:

Bracket racing as in 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag racing?

Yes!  It's great fun! The key is to run consistent times. It makes it possible for slower cars to be "competitive" with the faster, more expensive ones...

Maybe kinda like the Lemons of drag racing... :-)

I did this type of racing for a few years in a Corvette only series. It was fun at times but I ran out of energy for drag racing. It is an all day affair for very little track time.  You are waiting an hour+ between runs. On a bad day, it was 2-3 test passes and out after the 1st round. On a good day, you make the finals and you get 4-5 more passes.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Glenn Farney to the Bat Phone...

Thought about trying this, but our drivers vary quite a bit in lap times.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

I won a lot of trophies back in the 90s with my bone stock 72 Dodge Dart with a Slant 6 and 1 barrel carb. I ran 19 second 1/4 mile against 9 and 10 second cars. They were a lot faster, but I was more consistent and won more often. Plus, I had WAY less money tied up in mine. $1,500 versus $15,000…

Off-Kilter Racing

8 (edited by MZAVARIN 2022-06-23 09:11 AM)

Big Bird: I can't see your facebook link....I'm no Zuck-er....I don't do facebook...anything interesting there?

I kind of liked the idea of even-ing out the playing field, but I want seat time too, so even though auto/rally cross is cheaper, and some of this bracket racing drag racing....in Lemons, even though it costs more, the amount of driving time, with wheel 2 wheel excitement....is more for me...

so I guess a very fast car could enter a slow bracket, and still do well/win, as long as they don't go too fast in their fast car in the slow bracket to break out of their bracket....?

MZAVARIN wrote:

Big Bird: I can't see your facebook link....I'm no Zuck-er....I don't do facebook...anything interesting there?

I kind of liked the idea of even-ing out the playing field, but I want seat time too, so even though auto/rally cross is cheaper, and some of this bracket racing drag racing....in Lemons, even though it costs more, the amount of driving time, with wheel 2 wheel excitement....is more for me...

so I guess a very fast car could enter a slow bracket, and still do well/win, as long as they don't go too fast in their fast car in the slow bracket to break out of their bracket....?

This was a couple of posts down from Big Bird's zuck-u-link:
http://www.bracketgp.com/

That guy

Didn't mean to zuck you like that.......sorry.....                                                                                                                                       
            Bird

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Faster cars do sometimes run in slower brackets. We call them “sandbaggers”… LOL

If you take your car to a test & tune night you can often get quite a few passes if it isn’t too crowded. You’re not picking a dial in and competing against the other person. It’s just a good way to get on the track and try things out. You still get a time slip to compare your times.

Off-Kilter Racing

BigBird wrote:

Didn't mean to zuck you like that.......sorry.....                                                                                                                                       
            Bird

So,… did I misinterpret the OP’s initial question?  I didn’t know there was a “bracket” racing thing for road racing. That’s cool.

Off-Kilter Racing

seems like most bracket type racing applies to drag strips
and I was just looking for "cheap thrills"
so I was surprised to find bracket road racing, like

http://www.bracketgp.com/

especially in my back yard...!

We both learned something new. Cool!

Off-Kilter Racing

and I guess SCCA is also trying this???

https://www.wdcr-scca.org/bracket-racing

at Summit pt. W.V
and Millville NJ

not sure if anyone has tried this....or looked into this

I did not know about that format when I posted in the 'another Lemons class?' thread about sorting on best lap time.

I do like the "best lap time window" idea, but with bonus laps for really bad ideas, instead of penalty laps for go-fast mods, as those would sort themselves out via lap times.

But that's not Lemons' format.

Here's what the SCCA is doing in that format:
"Winners of the feature race on Sunday in each bracket with at least 2 cars will receive a trophy."

But, everybody can get an 'Auto' trophy here (for under $5.00, plus shipping) if someone really needs one:
https://www.crowntrophy.com/catalogsear … amp;q=Auto

and you don't even need another car ;-)

Ribbons are even cheaper...

MZAVARIN wrote:

anyone familiar with this?
anyone try this?
is it popular?
does it work out fairly?

drag racing? Yes I've done it hundreds of times. You have to be able to "cut a good light" and your car better be very consistent.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

High Plains Raceway created and ran a bracket mini-enduro they called "Pony Express".  We used the race to test our car and had a blast.  Unfortunately the event was in deep COVID-times and overall participation was too low to schedule more races.  Really sad as it was a fun format with good rules. 

https://www.highplainsraceway.com/wp-co … lebook.pdf

Max wrote:

High Plains Raceway created and ran a bracket mini-enduro they called "Pony Express".  We used the race to test our car and had a blast.  Unfortunately the event was in deep COVID-times and overall participation was too low to schedule more races.  Really sad as it was a fun format with good rules. 

https://www.highplainsraceway.com/wp-co … lebook.pdf

I'm trying to see if I can get the colorado scca to do something like this, no promises.

Wetbed0 wrote:

I'm trying to see if I can get the colorado scca to do something like this, no promises.

Sounds interesting! 

IMHO incoming...

If they do try for it I hope they closely follow the eligibility rules Glenn came up with.  Basically if the answer to the question "would it pass tech in any major racing organization?" is "yes" then the car is eligible.  Heck, maybe the rule could be simply showing proof that the car passed tech in a recent race (maybe in the previous two years?).  No scrutineer having to tech every car.  No logbooks. 

I know this won't happen but I would hope any ruleset would have a very low bar for drivers to enter as well.  I understand the business case for forcing drivers to do HPDE or obtain a license but if Lemons has proved anything it is that one doesn't need training to get around a track safely.  Again, I think Glenn was smart in being very inclusive when he wrote his rules. 

NASA/SCCA rant incoming...

NASA held mini-enduros recently at HPR with relatively loose rules but still had poor turnouts.  Why?  I would say it was a combination of not enough marketing and that they required a logbook for each car.  Is there really a good reason to logbook a car?  Where is the value?  I went through the hassle and I don't see it.  Otherwise the rules were very open.  Heck, cars even ran forrealzies race rubber. 

SCCA is pushing for endurance racing with their own twist on the general ruleset.  Reading through the rules is hilarious.  They make a point to say participants can do just about any performance modification and then have ridiculous limitations on aero.  The kind of limitations that exclude the most popular aero modifications done for the track.  They also require the car to have a logbook. 

It is not a shock to me that Lemons, Champcar, Luckydog, etc are popular.  These organizations prove the extra barriers NASA and SCCA put in their rules are ultimately unnecessary and exclusionary.  Yeah, I can imagine every single rule in every single rulebook has a valid reason for existing on its own but, in their entirety, they don't add enough value versus the barriers they put up.

Max wrote:
Wetbed0 wrote:

Sounds interesting! 

IMHO incoming...

If they do try for it I hope they closely follow the eligibility rules Glenn came up with.  Basically if the answer to the question "would it pass tech in any major racing organization?" is "yes" then the car is eligible.  Heck, maybe the rule could be simply showing proof that the car passed tech in a recent race (maybe in the previous two years?).  No scrutineer having to tech every car.  No logbooks. 

I know this won't happen but I would hope any ruleset would have a very low bar for drivers to enter as well.  I understand the business case for forcing drivers to do HPDE or obtain a license but if Lemons has proved anything it is that one doesn't need training to get around a track safely.  Again, I think Glenn was smart in being very inclusive when he wrote his rules. 

NASA/SCCA rant incoming...

NASA held mini-enduros recently at HPR with relatively loose rules but still had poor turnouts.  Why?  I would say it was a combination of not enough marketing and that they required a logbook for each car.  Is there really a good reason to logbook a car?  Where is the value?  I went through the hassle and I don't see it.  Otherwise the rules were very open.  Heck, cars even ran forrealzies race rubber. 

SCCA is pushing for endurance racing with their own twist on the general ruleset.  Reading through the rules is hilarious.  They make a point to say participants can do just about any performance modification and then have ridiculous limitations on aero.  The kind of limitations that exclude the most popular aero modifications done for the track.  They also require the car to have a logbook. 

It is not a shock to me that Lemons, Champcar, Luckydog, etc are popular.  These organizations prove the extra barriers NASA and SCCA put in their rules are ultimately unnecessary and exclusionary.  Yeah, I can imagine every single rule in every single rulebook has a valid reason for existing on its own but, in their entirety, they don't add enough value versus the barriers they put up.

One of our team members is on the scca board, so we can hope.