Topic: One additional newcomer question

Another discussion we had this weekend, that I could not find in the rules package. Can the emergency brake be removed?

Thanks in advance?

Re: One additional newcomer question

I believe so, although its absence may significantly limit one's available options in the event of brake failure and/or while parking. I'm not sure what the benefit would be. If it's just a question of trying to save weight, I'd call it a poor tradeoff.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

3 (edited by chaase 2022-06-28 09:59 AM)

mharrell wrote:

I believe so, although its absence may significantly limit one's available options in the event of brake failure and/or while parking. I'm not sure what the benefit would be. If it's just a question of trying to save weight, I'd call it a poor tradeoff.

It can end up being a liability at times. In a Saturn and maybe other cars, if you pit for a fuel stop and then pull the e-brake, it can cause problems. The brakes are screaming hot and it can cause the ebrake to basically stick/lock up.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I don't know how much an e-brake would actually help if you have a brake failure into a corner of any great speed.  I agree with chaase, if brakes are hot pads can stick and cause other issues.  We keep wheel chocks in the paddock to keep the car from rolling.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

chaase wrote:

...if you pit for a fuel stop and then pull the e-brake, it can cause problems.

Ah. I'd forgotten that setting the brake can become habitual. I was taught to leave it alone unless circumstances warranted its application, partially out of concern for hot brakes, partially out of concern for the possibility of something seizing in freezing weather, but mostly out of concern for not wanting to crawl underneath to adjust the cables more often than necessary, inasmuch as my parents' vehicles had foot-operated parking brakes.

The parking brakes in my own vehicles span the range of foot-operated, right-hand operated, left-hand operated, and one that requires pushing down on a lever instead of lifting it, so setting one always requires a certain amount of deliberate thought anyway, in addition to the lingering effects of my initial training in limiting its use.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Huskar wrote:

I don't know how much an e-brake would actually help if you have a brake failure into a corner of any great speed.

Oh, it's certainly not going to be the equivalent of a completely redundant set of brakes but it can make a world of difference in circumstances that aren't already right at the limit of the vehicle's ordinary braking capabilities. If you experience that sinking feeling of a brake pedal going all the way to the floor with no effect and you aren't already fully committed to a corner, then having at least a bit of braking at hand (so to speak) is a worthwhile option.

Our miata doesn't have an ebrake and it's never been brought up during tech... I'm sure it's fine.

With that said, it's insanely annoying and I hate that our car came without one. I'd leave it if you have the choice. Loading/unloading in the trailer, parking, always having to carry around a chock with you, working on it while running, etc is all way more annoying without an ebrake. We always have a brick in the car named "ebrick" so I guess that's cute.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Or you can just use any gear as a parking brake?

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Yeah, you're not required to have an ebrake in Lemons. 

As long as you don't pull the ebrake when the brakes are hot I think it is nice to have, especially when securing to a trailer. 

For real though - out of habit I accidently pulled the ebrake after my first time on the track.  I had to swap out the rear rotors and pads.  The song from the rear of the car was "rut rut rut" all the way home.

I think 1 of the 6 cars we have built had a functional e-brake.  What happens first test and tune...someone sets it in the paddock and next driver does their whole stint with it on.  After that, we ziptied the release button down so it can still be used but it is impossible to set it.

OnkelUdo wrote:

I think 1 of the 6 cars we have built had a functional e-brake.  What happens first test and tune...someone sets it in the paddock and next driver does their whole stint with it on.  After that, we ziptied the release button down so it can still be used but it is impossible to set it.

pretty good idea, and now you have a killer drifter car

"get up and get your grandma outta here"