1 (edited by 91Max 2022-07-01 04:21 PM)

Topic: another noob

Hi guys!
I am a car guy in spirit but not in practice. I am hoping to change that. I found this race and I think it would be a great place for me to get a start and to push myself to learn more about things that I truly want to do.

My first question is... My dad bought a 1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max when it was new. It ran great until he blew the clutch. I replaced it when I was in high school (2002). That was my first time doing anything mechanical. Next the water pump decided to stop working and it over heated and the engine seized (2003). It was put under a small carport where it was left to rot. Eventually Hurricane Ivan (2004) knocked down the the carport where it sat until last year. My parents bought a new property and decided to haul the truck with them. It hasn't ran and other than being towed to the new place, it hasn't been touched until last week when I started cleaning it.

Its missing a back window that is currently covered with duct tape and the interior was home to at least one family of rodents. I found a rat skull under the seat when I was vacuuming it out. The wiring under the hood is a literal rats nest.

My dad said that if I clean it up and get it off of his property I can have it for free.
What do I need to do in order to prove this is a $0 car? Will all of the basic parts go towards the $500 limit? Are things like a timing belt and a water pump to make sure the truck can run included in the budget?

Has anyone used a Mighty Max in the race before? Did they perform adequately? Are there any Mitsubishi gurus that I should reach out to?
I would like to see if it would be possible to slap a turbo on the stock 4G64. I am sure I need as much help with this as I can possibly get. Especially since I have no real mechanical skills other than basic maintenance.

I am armed with a Hanes manual, youtube, and grit. What else should I look to in order to be successful.
I am located in Crestview, Fl in the panhandle area. If there are people in the are that are also Lemons people, I would love to meet up and get some advice in person.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/t113/LOKI_rado/IMG_1571.JPG?width=450&height=278&crop=fill
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/t113/LOKI_rado/IMG_1390.HEIC
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/t113/LOKI_rado/IMG_1398.HEIC

2 (edited by chaase 2022-07-01 04:23 PM)

Re: another noob

You don’t need to worry about the budget on that glorious piece of automotive machinery. Don’t worry about making it fast. Make it safe and pass tech. Make sure it will stop, go and turn safely. Lower it as best you can but that’s it for performance

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

3 (edited by kakarot1232001 2022-07-01 06:47 PM)

chaase wrote:

You don’t need to worry about the budget on that glorious piece of automotive machinery. Don’t worry about making it fast. Make it safe and pass tech. Make sure it will stop, go and turn safely. Lower it as best you can but that’s it for performance

Yup for sure. cage it and rage it!

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

That is a beautiful POS. I'll take any of the non-existent penalty laps you won't get.

That guy

Awesome!
Thanks for the welcome and info.
I think this will be a great opportunity for me.

I will scour this forum to get as much information as I can get.
My goal right now is to attend the December race in Georgia.
Hopefully the Max will be done or at least meet tech by then.

nobody is going to care about that...unless you jam a Small Block in it or something. Find a good running engine/trans and get all of your safety gear. Since it has been sitting so long I'd replace  the entire fuel and brake system. Welcome to the club.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Your lack of mechanical skills, can-do attitude, and this weird sad pickup is exactly what Lemons loves to see. Don't bother documenting anything, show up, and I'm sure you'll be class C with zero laps. Don't forget to assemble your team of idiots dumb enough to start this horrible (but insanely fun) journey with you! Make sure it's safe and reasonably reliable and you're good to go.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

91Max wrote:

Has anyone used a Mighty Max in the race before? Did they perform adequately? Are there any Mitsubishi gurus that I should reach out to? I would like to see if it would be possible to slap a turbo on the stock 4G64.

We ran the turbo 2.6L 4G54 in our Conquest. Similar but I think yours is fuel injected as opposed the throttle body injection on ours. I wouldn't worry about the turbo because you'll have no problem blowing up in NA form. This thing is gonna dominate.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

"Has anyone used a Mighty Max in the race before? Did they perform adequately? Are there any Mitsubishi gurus that I should reach out to?
I would like to see if it would be possible to slap a turbo on the stock 4G64. I am sure I need as much help with this as I can possibly get. Especially since I have no real mechanical skills other than basic maintenance."

I'd probably go grab a 2.8 V6 engine and trans with lowish miles and roll. If you want to make sure it lasts more than a few weekends, open it up and put new rings, bearings, timing chain kit and head to the track.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

10 (edited by Stan in Bham 2022-07-21 07:04 PM)

duthehustle93 wrote:

Your lack of mechanical skills, can-do attitude, and this weird sad pickup is exactly what Lemons loves to see. Don't bother documenting anything, show up, and I'm sure you'll be class C with zero laps. Don't forget to assemble your team of idiots dumb enough to start this horrible (but insanely fun) journey with you! Make sure it's safe and reasonably reliable and you're good to go.

Exactly this.  I'd bet a paycheck that you will have no trouble whatsoever convincing a BS judge that it was a "you can have it for free if you'll haul it off" vehicle.  A non-running '91 Mighty Max with a spray-can paint job, duct tape rear window cover, and no grill won't command much cash even with today's used car prices.  I wouldn't bother with receipts for anything for this beauty.

Be sure to save the rat skull for a BS bribe, though. It would be icing on the cake. Or glue it to the dash as your mascot. Call your truck "the rat killer", "the dead rat", or "the rat trap", and do a rat theme.

Sure do hope to see you in Atlanta and at Barber.

Speedy Gonzales' mightier, slower brother.

If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.