Topic: Looking for drivers for Joliet- many ifs, ands, and buts.

ok, here's the deal: I'm a rookie team captain with a completely new car, not even finished yet. I'm building a team basically to get my friends addicted like I am and fronting much of the expense because I'm the world's luckiest guy. I live near bowling green and we'll be racing NCM.

I want to take the car to a race before that to make sure I can clear tech- I'd rather waste my own time and money than a group of people's.

So my current plan is to register for Joliet, take the car to tech there knowing that if I pass, I have an easy weekend, and if I fail, I can spend most of september solving the problems before NCM.

SO... IF I get the car ready in time and IF I pass tech, I'd be looking for a few drivers to take the car out and put some laps on it, give some feedback, maybe do some minimal wrenching and tuning. If it breaks, we fix it or we don't.

So here's the offer: I'll offer free seat time to anyone who is willing to accept that it may not happen, that they'll be driving a bone stock 3.8 dodge grand caravan on 690 treadwear tires, and it lacks pretty much any driver comfort aids like a cool suit.

This is probably best for someone who's already going to be there, has their own gear, and would take extra seat time in a slow car if it was available.

If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Re: Looking for drivers for Joliet- many ifs, ands, and buts.

We should talk! Shoot me a text at 630.235.8928

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

I'd be interested - pretty familiar with slow, terrible handling, automatic racecars with fragile transmissions and without any sort of driver comfort. 

But, and someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't think you have to be registered for the race to take the car through tech?  I don't think it's an official policy, but, I know I've read of people just taking the car to a race to have it teched, after they're done with all the registered cars.  Especially for a new car from a new racer, I think it's generally encouraged as a way to keep you from having a terrible first race weekend, getting discouraged, and not coming back.  Just something to consider.

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

Yes, the judges are normally pretty nice in walking through your car for tech if you're not registered for a race. However, towing to Chicago from BGKY is a bit of a long trip just for that.

There's still some value in racing your car versus practicing with your car (or van). Being immersed in the race environment is a trial by fire. It sounds like you're setting realistic expectations.

I might be interested in pitching in, since our own car is really limping home and might not make it to Joliet ready to go. Derek knows me as well now.

World record simca driver, kei car owner, zymurgist
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Project Merkur Space Program - Winner "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

I don't know if it's super common but I had our cage tech'd at a Lemons race before the rest of the car was ready.  It would have failed so, for me, it was 1000% worth the effort to bring the car out.

If there is another team in the area then see if one will stop by and check it out. I've done it for a couple of cars in my area.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

and as always, memorize this:
https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 040419.pdf

World record simca driver, kei car owner, zymurgist
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Project Merkur Space Program - Winner "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

If you are still looking for drivers to drive test your car, I`m totally in. I don`t have much track experience, only did a track day here and there with rental cars, but you will get A LOT of enthusiasm and dedication from me.