Topic: Seats that don’t pass tech

New to racing and Lemons and trying to heck to understand the seat rules. Found a local used Procar by Scat Pro-Sport racing seat and a post on here saying it wasn’t legal. What’s the issue with the seat? It appears to be one piece and racing purposed. Why would it not pass tech? Any clarifications or help are greatly appreciated.

Re: Seats that don’t pass tech

Are you referring to this post?  This seat fails because it reclines.  I don't see any reason your seat will fail.  When in doubt, email Pagel.

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=34187

Assuming it is this seat https://procarbyscat.com/product/pro-sport/

As I understand it (and I think I've had one of those seats in my possession), the least desirable construction method is steel tube (both from a tech and a comfort perspective). That seat is a steel tube seat. You'll be sitting in it for (hopefully) several hours over the course of a race weekend, and the steel tubes will press on your body uncomfortably when you (hopefully) corner aggressively.

Also, that seat is small. Normal-sized mammals barely fit, luxury-sized mammals do not fit. This is probably fine if your team is composed of small-sized mammals, but significantly less desirable if you have a variety of sizes on your team.

That guy

The response speed, the clarity! I finally saw what I missed! Thank you for the good info smile
I’ll just self identify as a bad reading mammal and will order a Bimarco Hummer.

Our first seat was tube framed.  After every race the sides of my back/ribcage area was bruised up from the tube frame.  It was an Sparco seat with an FIA cert.  Look into the BiMarco Hummer seat.  Not much more money and much better seat.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

Our first seat was tube framed.  After every race the sides of my back/ribcage area was bruised up from the tube frame.  It was an Sparco seat with an FIA cert.  Look into the BiMarco Hummer seat.  Not much more money and much better seat.

Would I need a seat brace for a BiMarco Hummer? If so does anyone work or do I need a specific one?

lslenzak1 wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Would I need a seat brace for a BiMarco Hummer? If so does anyone work or do I need a specific one?

Doesn't matter who made the seat, if the seat is further than 6" from the crossbar, it needs a seat back brace.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

lslenzak1 wrote:

...do I need a specific one?

You'll either need a brace that's compatible with the design of the seat (Rule 3.6.1.2) or a "seat-width element" that provides a comparable level of protection against catastrophic rearward seat movement (Rule 3.6.1.3). In my car, for example, I have a T-shaped element projecting forward behind the seat. Please note that in my cage the belts do not attach to this T-shaped element; they attach to the cage behind it. The T-shaped element is acting only as a seat brace. I've also seen similar elements that have a wide, flattened U-shape and are welded to the cage at their ends.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49807021768_92a0112593_c.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally