1 (edited by defunctcantaloupe 2022-07-20 05:05 PM)

Topic: Are JDM cars allowed, and if so, how is the budget calculated?

I live in Western Canada where we can import JDM cars that are only 15 years old instead of 25.

Is there any restrictions on buying some 17 year old Japanese car for a $450 bid and then bringing it to Lemons? Or are these cars auto-disqualified bc of port fees, shipping, etc. (and by allowed I mean both in terms of "you can bring a RHD car on the track" and "you won't be hit with 3 billion penalty laps")

I would love to be the first guy to bring an 03 toyota progres or some other obscure and bizarrely styled vehicle to Lemons.

Thanks

Re: Are JDM cars allowed, and if so, how is the budget calculated?

RHD shouldn’t be a problem. Cost depends on what you import. Judges don’t sweat the budget on terrible cars.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

3 (edited by mharrell 2022-07-20 06:49 PM)

RHD isn't a problem. A few teams have already done this, including my team with an MG Metro 1300.

Technically you'll need a waiver from Lemons HQ because of Rule 2.1, which states, in part, that entry is "limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for U.S. highway use at the time of their manufacture" but HQ has made it clear that they're happy to grant such waivers for anything that was manufactured in compliance with a reasonable set of safety standards somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about shipping costs. The judges would be happy to see something like this.

My biggest concern would be crossing the border with it. If you've got it titled and plated in Canada, this shouldn't be a problem (but check before showing up at the border anyway). If you intend to bring it in without all of that, look very carefully into what Customs will want to see.

Edit: With RHD make sure your drivers put their wristbands on their right wrists instead of their left, as this will make it easier for those of us Lemons staffers who have to check such things each time the car goes on track.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I know of a Lemons racer who bought a Class C-grade JDM car for the equivalent of $500 + shipping fees. Considering the grade of terrible it is, no one is going to sweat him on the budget.

As pointed out, it's usually all about what kind of heap you're importing:

- If you're going to bring something like a caged R33 GT-R, expect to get a zillion laps and a raft of shit from everyone in the world. 
- If you're going to bring a caged R33 base Skyline GTS (RWD, RB20E, etc.), expect a troll-worthy chuckle and A/0.
- If you're going to bring a Nissan Primera painted like a BTCC car, expect high fives from the 1990s BTCC fans among Lemons staff (ie Nick and me) and probably Class B.
- If you're going to bring a caged N14 Pulsar with a 1.3L, expect Class C and a well done.

If you have something specific in mind, email me and we can hash it out. You'll need a written waiver on its eligibility (as mharrell points out), but no matter what you bring, you can put it on the track as long as it passes tech inspection. You might get some penalty laps for a high-performance car, but the penalty laps are mostly there to deter the riff-raff (ie REAL RACERS™). At the end of the day, if you don't care about winning—which is overrated anyway—it's not really a big hangup.

Cheers!

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

If you bring a car that isn't known to be indestructible, and therefore may need parts during a race, and also something so niche that you won't be able to find any parts locally, I'm sure they'd love to see it. But yeah, as everyone else has said do your homework ahead of time before dumping $4k+ of safety into a car that you can't even get into the states and/or won't pass tech.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

defunctcantaloupe wrote:

I would love to be the first guy to bring an 03 toyota progres or some other obscure and bizarrely styled vehicle to Lemons.

If you brought a midsize Japanese luxury car like that to a race, you would be a hero.  You would have to get the 2JZ version for total  domination.  I would bet they would put it in C class if stock.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

here's an idea - I finally located the owner of this car that I've been driving past for years and chatted briefly with him.

- doesn't remember the km
- has not driven the car for 2.5 years after some jdm dohickey broke and he couldn't find parts
- starting to rust (though most of it is hidden by the beautiful plastic cadding)
- stock lift kit
- terrible condition interior
- automatic

BUT

it has the JDM only 280hp turbo 2.5 v6

perhaps i can talk this guy into selling it for pennies and bringing it on the track...

https://i.imgur.com/tPFQcmh.png
https://i.imgur.com/8SYyiFE.png

Unless there is some cheaty suspension. I'm thinking Class 'B' maybe even class 'C'
Cool ride!
Manny

Unless there is some cheaty suspension. I'm thinking Class 'B' maybe even class 'C'
Cool ride!
Manny