Topic: Supporting fender flares

How to do this without running afoul of:

"3.10.6     Nerf Bars Not Allowed. Added structural elements that extend past the original bodywork line are not allowed. In other words, no nerf bars, wheel-protection cages, or crash bars. (Worried about your car being damaged? Here’s an idea. Don’t hit anyone.)"

Would that refer to the "original bodywork line" of the OEM fenders?

Or does it refer to extensions past whatever smooth fenders are now on the car?

I'm asking so that I can support them from underneath so they don't flap in the breeze.

2 (edited by chaase 2022-07-24 06:24 AM)

Re: Supporting fender flares

As long as you stay underneath the fender flares and attach to the fender you should be fine.  Design it such that if someone hits it, it is still going to compress and bend like the fender. 

Don't build them such that it would mess with the crumple zones (i.e. don't make a brace structure that goes back to main uni body that the fender itself bolts too. Don't build it such that if someone hits it, a support rod can puncture your tire.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Good suggestions - thanks.

I was thinking about a thin_wall_tubing / wire hoop underneath the edge.

I can't even conceptualize the support structure for Speedycop's camper trailer effort, and how that complied with the above rule (if it was even in effect at the time). I mean: cantilevered, sure, but how to keep the bottom skirts on; anyhoo..anyhow... probably wasn't an issue.

(I guess that wasn't expected to do any dive bombing into the corner, or rubbing for position).

So if I (eventually) try to do a Fibre-resin flare and I can have a little support underneath, that'll be good.

4 (edited by chaase 2022-07-24 08:55 AM)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Good suggestions - thanks.

I was thinking about a thin_wall_tubing / wire hoop underneath the edge.

I can't even conceptualize the support structure for Speedycop's camper trailer effort, and how that complied with the above rule (if it was even in effect at the time). I mean: cantilevered, sure, but how to keep the bottom skirts on; anyhoo..anyhow... probably wasn't an issue.

(I guess that wasn't expected to do any dive bombing into the corner, or rubbing for position).

So if I (eventually) try to do a Fibre-resin flare and I can have a little support underneath, that'll be good.

You can probably get some 1/8th  or 3/16th metal rod , bend it to shape and then weld it to the fender. Make a simple little skeleton off of that shape to lay the fiber glass. It will support the glass and if it does get hit, it will fold/flex enough to pass tech.

Speedycops camper was a completely different animal and likely had pre-approval.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I'll try and get pictures of the We are not from IRAN Festiva rear fenders.

Has passed Lemons and champ tech multiple times (before I bought it).

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Epoxy some wood to the car works fairly well.  (Narrator: don't do this)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbEUpPeLr7_ … _copy_link

7 (edited by rozap_ 2022-07-25 10:13 AM)

https://i.postimg.cc/jdMcXmNJ/fender.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/zDS0LVG7/fender2.jpg

We put 15" wheels on an underpowered car that originally had 13"s, to ensure that we're the slowest car on the track. (in reality it was so we could buy tires that don't suck)

This is what I did. Never had a problem in tech. It was relatively easy since I didn't care about quality; it's purely functional to avoid poke. And I'm glad I didn't care about how it looked, because in 100% of the races we've been in, they've taken a light hit.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

We found open trailer fenders to work just fine.  Cut whatever slice thickness you need to cover the tire +1".  Make tabs out of the extra 1", bend 90 degress, weld to body.

If purchasing fender flares is not out of the question, here are 4 plastic flares for $36: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114201991937?h … SwF7xepi26

As mentioned above, trailer fenders work well too.

#22 Team Slowtus Ford Focus

Whoa there - I'm too cheap to actually buy fender flares.

Especially since there are so many that fall off small trailers and can be picked up along the roadside. Or truck trailer aero panels - though I think I'll need to borrow a heat gun for forming if I ever pick up one.

Also, the 'Bi-Fuel deleted' CNG van's unexpectedly remaining gasoline tank - which I dropped (since I didn't have time to find out if I could make the gasoline system work) so that I could prep for another CNG tank; I can cut up that for material, but that's sturdy metal already.

Sorry - I wasn't clear: the question was more about the future fibre-resin plan. I have plenty of extra synthetic cloth - I just need to learn about the resin part.

After all, how hard could it be? I won't be too concerned about the coefficient of drag, or the lustre of the paint.

11 (edited by Bricoop 2022-08-03 02:21 PM)

I think fiber is a great choice.  After you are done making them, I would drill some holes and fill them with expanding foam. 

At the last race I saw a team redoing their fiber fenders overnight.  A great advantage of fiber.   I think it was eyesore.

Bricoop wrote:

At the last race I saw a team redoing their fiber fenders overnight.  A great advantage of fiber.   I think it was eyesore.

Metal fenders you can fix with a hammer smile

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

Depending how far you need to flare out, you could try rolling a baseball bat between the tire and fender.
Stick the bat at either the front or rear of the tire, and push the car. The bat will roll with the tire forcing the fender to flare out. Might have to do it several times for each fender.

1991 VW Jetta #38 - cuz Whoopie Pie!