Topic: Why no electric impacts on pit crews?

Random and dumb, I know, but too many zoom calls in a row and needed a break.   I have Indycar practice on in the background and I started to wonder why they don't use cordless impacts for pit stops?   Are they still not strong enough?

Quick search online looks like strongest is 700 ft-lbs, with break loose of 1400 ft-lbs.   Another quick search shows Indycar lugs are 300-400 ft-lbs maybe?

If I was a tire changer that means I would also be the guy packing up the stuff, and packing an air compressor and a bunch of hoses is probably less fun than a half dozen cordless cases. 

Anywho, flame away, discuss away, I don't mind - I'm just happy to be off zoom for minute.  :-)

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

Re: Why no electric impacts on pit crews?

My only guess, and this is a guess, is that air is proven, reliable, and tunable. Meaning you can change air pressure and change the tightening torque. Air also doesn't require someone to remember to charge batteries.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Here's an old 2012 article on NASCAR wheel guns:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a … -12403645/

Since that happened, I seem to recall that many of the big-budget shops then started either building their own or modifying existing guns to the point where that $1500 wheel gun referenced in the article seemed like a laughably small expense. I guess they've standardized the wheel gun with the new single nut setup in NASCAR to create parity, but that won't last.

As TheEngineer says, air is reliable and nothing is more important than that. I haven't seen more than 1-2 dead air guns a year since I've been really watching it across multiple series and disciplines because a dead air gun just about triples your pit stop time and wrecks your team's chance.

That's not to say electric impacts couldn't also be reliable, but professional motorsports is not an area where people take chances on "new" technology lightly.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Also, unless the rules state they must use pneumatic guns, I can assure you if there was a better/faster way, every team would be doing it.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

As an aside after Cheever chopped my guy into a spin at the Indy 500, we lost a couple laps getting restarted and dicking around with air guns.  Someone forgot to turn the air valve on.  Still finished 9th.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Interesting question. Probably the battery needed for an electric lug gun would be too bulky and heavy to be practical, it would slow down the pit stop.. Don't know what ft/lbs they torque the lugs to but it seems it would require a very large battery to match the power of an air gun. If it was practical someone would be doing it.

I think it was part of safety, just the sparks from the gun. that was back in the day. The Impact guns those teams use are way more powerful than consumer battery powered types. at Imsa, I asked the team and they were running the guns at 250psi

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

I thought the same regarding sparking initially then realized they use electric sawsalls in the pits to cut away sheet metal don't they? Seems it would require a very large, heavy battery to torque lug nuts/nut to 250psi like they do at Les Schwab tire centers so only Superman is able to remove them with a lug wrench on a dark, cold rainy night when one gets a flat tire. Not being a mechanical engineer or racing insider it's sheer speculation on my part though. Maybe someone from MIT will do the math and chime in.

kakarot1232001 wrote:

I think it was part of safety, just the sparks from the gun. that was back in the day. The Impact guns those teams use are way more powerful than consumer battery powered types. at Imsa, I asked the team and they were running the guns at 250 psi

kakarot1232001 wrote:

I think it was part of safety, just the sparks from the gun. that was back in the day. The Impact guns those teams use are way more powerful than consumer battery powered types. at Imsa, I asked the team and they were running the guns at 250psi

A couple months ago there was a fire during a pit stop that was ignited by sparks coming off the wheel lug.

https://twitter.com/Justin_Fiedler/stat … on-fire%2F

One big reason is air, is FAST!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport