Topic: Road Atlanta

Hey all, hoping to get some feedback. We're going to Road Atlanta this year for the first time. Been trying to read up on the event and watched previous recaps and whatnot and am hoping to get some feedback from those who have gone.

I know the weather can usually be a crapshoot, what should we expect/be prepared for?

Due to the weather, are we going to need to have a plan in place to combat windshield fogging? Don't have factory defogger anymore.

Some of our team will be staying RV at the track, any tips there? We see electrical hook ups are first come first serve but I'm assuming there's not many.

Any other general tips/advice for a first timer at Road Atlanta?

Much appreciated!!

LS-10 Racing '98 Chevy S-10
2022 Road Atlanta: LET'S F**KING DO THIS!!!, 2021 MSR: 19/101 (5/36 B-class) overheated transmission
2021 NOLA: 21/65 (6/25 B-class) snapped upper control arm, 2020 MSR: 73/103 (27/36 B-class) blown transmission

Re: Road Atlanta

Hey all, hoping to get some feedback. We're going to Road Atlanta this year for the first time. Been trying to read up on the event and watched previous recaps and whatnot and am hoping to get some feedback from those who have gone.

I know the weather can usually be a crapshoot, what should we expect/be prepared for?

Due to the weather, are we going to need to have a plan in place to combat windshield fogging? Don't have factory defogger anymore.

Some of our team will be staying RV at the track, any tips there? We see electrical hook ups are first come first serve but I'm assuming there's not many.

Any other general tips/advice for a first timer at Road Atlanta?

Much appreciated!!

LS-10 Racing '98 Chevy S-10
2022 Road Atlanta: LET'S F**KING DO THIS!!!, 2021 MSR: 19/101 (5/36 B-class) overheated transmission
2021 NOLA: 21/65 (6/25 B-class) snapped upper control arm, 2020 MSR: 73/103 (27/36 B-class) blown transmission

Since you've removed the heat & defrost, I recommend RainX antifog (or similar) on the inside of windows. Cover the outside of windows at night.  We use old canopies whose frames have expired as car covers at races. Also consider bringing a small generator and electric heater if it is really cold to warm up the inside (esp. windows), pre-race. If you didn't keep the side windows then just leave the car cover on with the heater in the car.

If it is really cold (well below freezing), consider draining the radiator since you won't have antifreeze. We're planning to bring a 10 gallon water cooler for that purpose. We'll fill it with lukewarm water before heading to the track in the am. If it temps don't require that, we'll fill it with really hot water and make hot chocolate.

RA is a fun track.  It'll be crowded (paddock and track). Try to get there early. Drive conservatively, especially starting out. Last year's race got black flagged for an all-driver ass chewing because so many people were driving too aggressively. I think there was an issue with unenthusiastic flaggers/hard to see yellows in a corner or two, as well; but the driving overall was rather aggressive for Lemons racing.

This is what we use as a defrost. Have seen it on a few cars and seems to work well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F7ANK7S/
Mounts easily with two zip screws, 12v pigtails can be spliced to a cigarette lighter socket, switch panel or whatever. Takes 3" standard hose to point the air or just let it blow freely.

Treat your outside windshield with rainx. Treat the inside of your windshield with plain ol' shaving cream.

Prepare for snow, rain, and everything in between. Not sure what your strategy in a (assume RWD) truck would be but I hear RA is slippery as hell in the cold/wet, so a pair of cheap winter or all seasons might go a long way if the entire day is looking like crap weather wise.

Take it easy, be safe, stay warm and don't forget to hydrate even when it's cold out.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Double post for the win...

Might want to delete your post in "our crappy race" since it's a duplicate.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

I live here in Atlanta.  As for the weather, who the hell knows.  Rain, snow, locust, you name it.  "Typically" the weather in Atlanta that time of year is in the mid-upper 50s, but the past several years have been anything but typical.  Last year we had a fog delay.  Just be ready for anything.

As for the windshield, shaving cream works like a charm.  Do it.

The track is slick when wet and cold, but so are most other tracks.  You need to search to find the grip...usually off the normal line.  The worst thing about RA in the rain is the visibility.  It's a fast track, so even in the rain speeds are higher than they would be at other tracks in the rain.  I've been running Lemons for 11 seasons now, and THE scariest thing I've ever done is go down the backstretch at Road Atlanta in the rain, not being able to see a damn thing in front of me (even at a significantly reduced speed) due to rain and spray from other cars.

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

Klayfish wrote:

THE scariest thing I've ever done is go down the backstretch at Road Atlanta in the rain, not being able to see a damn thing in front of me (even at a significantly reduced speed) due to rain and spray from other cars.

I agree, and will add that Rain-X does JACK SH*T for the spray off of the other cars.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!