Topic: Lexan attaching - how to?

Wanting to replace the heavy lift gate glass with lexan and I’m looking for information on how people have successfully sealed and secured it so it doesn’t crack or leak. What thickness should be used and does it need supports?

Re: Lexan attaching - how to?

I used a Lexan sheet from Amazon, link below.

I took the windows out of my car, traced them into the lexan and then cut one out in the same shape.

To secure it, I used bathroom caulk and sheet metal screws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNM7QQW

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

I have used tabs and channel so I have never had to drill holes.

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

I've had success in the past by pre-drilling clearance holes in the lexan and then using a rivet or self drilling screw to mount the lexan. I would recommend using rubber bonded washers so that there isn't a hard metal clamping surface on a stress riser. With rubber bonded washers you should start cracks as long as you don't get cracks from drilling the clearance hole. If your worried about cracking while drilling which sometimes happens, I've also burned holes into plastic using a torch and pin punch. Doesn't leave cracks, as long as you don't care about your health!

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

duthehustle93 wrote:

<snip>I've had success in the past by pre-drilling the clearance hole. If your worried about cracking while drilling which sometimes happens, I've also burned holes into plastic using a torch and pin punch. Doesn't leave cracks, as long as you don't care about your health!

..Or use a soldering iron/pencil......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

The Rover had a lexan windshield, we made a channel and then drilled a few, large bolt holes on the bottom with washers on both sides to prevent it from shifting up and down.

On the wagon, we use got rid of all glass but the windshield. We got some thin lexan and riveted it into place. As long as you don't drill too close to the edge, its fine.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner