Topic: Battery relocation - ground to chassis or to original location?

I'm relocating the battery on my Lemon to the back of the car. Should I ground from the battery to the chassis in the back of the car, or should I run a ground wire back to the front of the car to connect at the original battery location ground wires? Or should I do both?

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Re: Battery relocation - ground to chassis or to original location?

The big current draw is the starter, so as long as you've got good connectivity between your ground strap and the starter it should be fine. Usually this means grounding at a distance is not a problem, but I once had an MGB (factory battery behind the seats) for which cranking was significantly improved by running a sizable ground cable directly from the battery to the engine compartment.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I'd ground the battery to the chassis next to the battery and have another ground from the chassis to the engine/starter.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I'd ground the battery to the chassis next to the battery and have another ground from the chassis to the engine/starter.

/agree

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Redundancy on grounds is always a good idea. When in doubt, just add more! So both IMO.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Just clean the surface area on top of your rear frame  rail and be done....use a big cable, and as mentioned the more grounds the better.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"