Re: Off-Kilter Racing - '62 Valiant Slant 6 in Kentucky

If you are swapping a rear i would go with a 9" over an 8.8
The 8.8 axle bearings are terrible and do not last very long when you start pushing the car.   We have 3 races on new axles and bearings and they are completely shot and have thoroughly fucked up the axles.   

If you insist on an 8.8 make sure you get a later mustang one, it has bigger bearings and axles.  they will last longer but are still a wear item due to the bearing having to do everything.

102 (edited by Dudefladge 2022-05-03 10:38 AM)

The last couple days I have gathered up a truck bed full of Ford Explorer 8.8 differentials so we can upgrade ToadRacer after we broke the 7 1/4 SG at CMP a couple weeks ago.

We now have some good options:

3.55 open
4.10 open
3.73 LSD

The feller's got another 3.55 open I'm gonna go back & pull soon. He's givin' me a bulk discount the more I buy... LOL

We'll have back ups & extras & such... Plus, I've got a few other A bodies that could benefit from an upgrade.

Our car is surely lighter than your Crown Vic, has quite a bit less horsepower, and smaller tire/wheel combo...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Crown Vic have 28 spline axles? The Explorer has 31 spline.

I'll report back if we start breaking/wearing out parts on the 8.8...

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...

Well,… things came up and we didn’t get the car ready for NCM. I just withdrew us from the race. I’m bummed about that, but I’ll try to make up for it by going anyway and helping out.

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...