Re: power steering coolers

Swap in the Eaton LSD in the rear diff and that problem goes away. Weren't you guys the team that had steering rack problems too?

DelinquentRacer wrote:

It's pretty common for the factory "cooler" to be a loop of hard line bolted to a crossmember acting as a heat sink.
The crossmember is often in turbulent air so it may shed enough heat to be effective enough for the street.

I've run a small motorcycle tube/fin oil cooler, and also a small plate/fin cooler on the return line for years.
Both have kept the fluid looking like it was in good shape (still pretty red.) Also, the factory "loop" is still there.

KeiCarMike wrote:

Our all-steel-body merkur isn't that light, it's actually rather front heavy.

I thought about de-powering our Merkur rack, but with a welded diff we need the p/s to just move around the pit.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

27 (edited by hkerekes 2022-08-23 10:28 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Man take the pissing contest somewhere else.

i didnt start the bullshit

KeiCarMike wrote:

Our all-steel-body merkur isn't that light, it's actually rather front heavy. Maybe just try driving faster?

this is the bullshit

kakarot1232001 wrote:

On the original subject. The low pressure side cooler would be easiest and most logical if you want a flexibility. Can also put it away and have a small fan with a thermal switch to trigger it.

already suggested, op doesnt want to

hkerekes wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Man take the pissing contest somewhere else.

i didnt start the bullshit

Even if that was true, doesn't mean you have to continue it. Take the pissing contest somewhere else.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

we are in the process of installing a volvo electrically powered hydraulic pump  Will be using a small trans cooler in the return line, along with a filter.  The best part is if this fails, we go right back to our non powered rack, which weve been using for about 10 years.   With a v8 and larger tires (255-275), it's getting tedious, especial;ly at NCM with the long high speed turns.  Our 80 year old Co driver has been asking for this for a while now....

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!