Topic: Lemons Newcomer

Hi everyone,
I will start by saying that I have never raced in or attended a race before, but I am looking to attend the race at Gingerman Raceway, MI on October 8th as a spectator and then hopefully as a driver for next year. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, or better yet would need an extra pit crew member or knows someone who does I would be happy to pay the additional fee and help out wherever I can. I am trying to get a feel for the event before committing to race myself so the closer I can get to the paddock and the track the better!

Re: Lemons Newcomer

Welcome!  I won't be at that race, unless I'm working it, so I can't offer you anything directly.  Keep in mind that a spectator pass will allow you access to everything except the hot pits.  You are free to roam around the paddock and the track viewing areas open to the public.  I'm sure you will find no shortage of teams that will be happy to show you around and maybe put you to work.  Lemons is an extremely friendly environment, so don't be shy to ask around.  In order to be able to get on the hot pit, you'd need to be registered as a crew member (or driver) for a team.  You'd also need full safety gear in order to enter hot pit.

Have a great time!!!!

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

Send me a message and I'll be happy to find you a spot to hang out with a team for the weekend.

Attending as a spectator is the cheap and easy way to check out a race. Crew is considered "anyone that touches the car", like a mechanic or an extra warm body that you have helping with fueling. Usually friends and family that aren't touching the car get spectator passes.

So if you can find a team to hang out with, camp for the weekend with, and just kind of experience what their paddock space is like, you'll pick up a LOT of info over the course of a weekend, and maybe even meet a team to drive with next year.

My team's plans aren't 100% set in stone yet for gingerman, but I already have backup plans in process so I can see if I can have you tag along with me if I go with another team or not.

If you want to contribute as crew, you'll either need safety gear (to help with fueling), or possibly offer your own tools and a detail of what your wrenching expertise is.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

lekler1530 wrote:

Hi everyone,
I will start by saying that I have never raced in or attended a race before, but I am looking to attend the race at Gingerman Raceway, MI on October 8th as a spectator and then hopefully as a driver for next year. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, or better yet would need an extra pit crew member or knows someone who does I would be happy to pay the additional fee and help out wherever I can. I am trying to get a feel for the event before committing to race myself so the closer I can get to the paddock and the track the better!

Come play crew for our disfunctional assortment of idiots racing TWO potential IoE cars:  1972 Volga Gaz 24 and 1995 Chrysler flathead-powered Camero.

We probably get more newbies into the insanity that is 24 hours of Lemons in the Midwest than any other team.  We also normally run at least one newbie-friendly car two races per year.  Skipping straight to crew allows you to immerse yourself in almost everything Lemons has to offer such as, but not limitted to:

Performing the evening nut and bolt (under supervision) while the rest of us drink beer
If we have gear that fits you, fueling in the hot pits with driver changes
Being a tool runner/hander/finder when we have emergency repairs
Walk around with an air superiority when back at work because you were a "Crew Memeber" for a multiple award winning racing team

Other benefits are we will feed and socially lubricate you (track cold for the latter), can supply a place to crash like the floor of the enclosed trailer,we will send you wandering the paddock randomly looking for a part/tool we need but failed to bring.

Come to the "top of the hill". We're ALWAYS fixing something up there. If you can't can't figure out where that is, just look for the broken LS swapped BMW.

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

Come to the "top of the hill". We're ALWAYS fixing something up there. If you can't can't figure out where that is, just look for the broken LS swapped BMW.

But ifhe showsupin the first 30-45 minutes, it might be on track...thenwhat does he do?

Greetings, lekler. 

A couple of things you need to know when you get to Gingerman...

As a spectator, you will get a Green wristband, that gets you through the gate and you have access to 99% of the facility.  No hot track or refueling area. You are a spectator and that is all you are permitted to do. 

In order for you to get involved with any team repairs, you will need to get a Blue wristband, you will need to see the staff at Lemons Headquarters, this is largely due to insurance concerns.  Please keep this in mind before working on any team's car.

Lemons staff are always willing to be of assistance to answer any questions you may have, just look for their orange shirts or one of the two guys wearing white coveralls.   Or... you will find that almost all of the teams will be more than happy to do the same.

If you care to look me up. I'm Ken I'll be wearing white coveralls and a white hat, most likely standing at pit out or walking pit lane.

See you at Gingerman.

Hey, lecler.

Did you make it to Gingerman?  If so, how was it?