Re: Great River Road Rally

mharrell: did you get any rally points for the ^sticker?

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

mharrell: did you get any rally points for the ^sticker?

That's really more of a question for Eric to answer. I have no idea.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Just may do this rally with the Jag_Bluesmobile that was bought to finish the Great Race. So how many points would I score if:

Friday/Sat/Sunday run 3 cars at Houston Lemons Splodin race since we live 3 hour east of track. Lake Charles area.
Tow home Sunday evening, Monday AM head to NOLA condo with Jag or regular Bluesmobile.
Saints Ravens MNF I have 4 extra tics for judges or someone.
BOOM Tuesday head north up the river. May be solo for the river run. Stay in touch. stephenontheriveratyahoodotcom   Phish

How do you post a picture??

disinfo wrote:

How do you post a picture??

You have to have an account with an external site (such as PhotoBucket,or Imgur)
They are free to set up and 'host' your photos on their servers
Once you're set up,there is a selection of formats for posting on forums and other sites....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

but don't use photobucket, they suck big green ----- -----.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

I use:

Postimages.org

I set up an account so that I could control the picture links.

You can post as a guest, but then you can't control anything after uploading.

I'm looking at flights, and rental cars, and I'm formulating a rough idea of how I'd do GRR if I do it.  Kinda channeling my inner Jack Reacher.  I don't care about points or theme this time.  I just want to do it and see the places.  I'll have to figure out what to do about getting my girlfriend's kid  off to school for that week.  Maybe see if he can spend the week with a friend.  Couple things to figure out, but nothing impossible yet.

More details were added to the Fall Fail-iage Tour, and based on the COVID notices, the rally goes through seven states. 

Now my decision is more difficult... big_smile  Plus, I have a few friends I can visit if I'm in the area.

Regardless, I have a few rooms booked for Great River Road, and will book some for Fall Fail-iage.  As always, I make certain they are cancelable up to 48 hours beforehand.  It's starting to look like I won't be able to head west (running out of time, plus all the fires and heat), at least not until after the first of the year or maybe over the holidays, where the better half and I will probably head to Arid-zona or Cool-orado (one company I write for is based on Boulder). 

In the meantime, anyone here heading to Concours d'Lemons in Detroit on the 17th? Not sure if I'll enter Earl Burner Civic or not--there's nothing that really stands out about the car to waste the space at the event.

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage

The Hooptie Garage wrote:

In the meantime, anyone here heading to Concours d'Lemons in Detroit on the 17th? Not sure if I'll enter Earl Burner Civic or not--there's nothing that really stands out about the car to waste the space at the event.

That's kinda the point of the show, to celebrate Automotive Mediocrity. I don't know if you'd win any awards, but I'm sure Alan would welcome you with open arms all the same.  Last year was pretty fun, even if we did show up late and had to shoehorn our Mustang into a corner instead of with the other Fords where it was supposed to be.  I had a poorly-timed bathroom trip during which, apparently, Wayne Carini had a nice chat with my Rally partner about his car.  Apparently he's a Foxbody fan.

It occurred to me this morning that it's possibly cheaper to enter the car for $15 than it is to pay for parking near Comerica Park.  I'd just hate to take space from someone who has a car that is more (less?) worthy of a spot.  big_smile  Unless I have the only soul-sucking Japanese appliance in the show, I won't be winning any awards, even with the bribes cranked to 11. 

I thought about getting some of the rally graphics ready and using them for the Concours, but I want to do some other work on the paint before I start slapping vinyl bits and pieces all over it.  I do already have a small Lemons Rally sticker on the rear window, but was working on a theme for the next rally (some of it is in vector files at the moment, ready for cutting).

--Rudy

If the show lot hasn't filled up by now, I doubt it'll fill up at all.  It's not a huge lot, but there's plenty of room for activities.  If you're that worried about whether it's worth entering, just ask Alan or Eric.

The Concours was interesting, and fun to be there as an observer, but don't know if I'd enter a car again unless I had something really atrocious or noteworthy.  But there were three of us there from the Rust Belt Ramble, so that was fun. 

I'm passing on Fall Fail-iage (I may do it next year), but am 80% in on Great River Road. I think the water pump is making all the noise (stethoscope reveals it being behind the timing cover, and it seems to be loudest right over the water pump), so I'll have to replace that in the next week or two before the weather gets worse.  The only other thing behind there is the tensioner.  Both were replaced 10k miles ago when the engine was first apart.  We gave it an Interstate shakedown yesterday and aside from some still-unexplained front-end thunking and the water pump, it all seems good.

--Rudy

I got to drive a little of the Great River Road on Drag Week this year, what fun! Looking forward to November, and all that nice cool weather up there.

A guy gave me a set of chains for the Rambler, I'm all set. What could possibly go wrong?

I look forward to finally meeting ya, Jim.  I scored (what I hope will be) a sweet ride-along with a team from the Cities who will have a nicely themed Volvo Wagon.  By way of thanks for their generosity I will be paying for their fuel (and probably most of their food) during the rally, and handling much of the navigation. We're going to be totally winging where (and how) we sleep at night, but it should be a thoroughly fun time.  I just have to find an outfit to match with the theme in the two days that I'm in NOLA, since I'm only planning on traveling with what I can fit into a backpack.  To say I don't trust airlines with checked baggage is a massive understatement, and I don't want to burden the Volvo with my crap, even if there should be plenty of room.

Also, if anyone is planning on spending the entire weekend in NOLA, and is willing to pick me up from the airport Saturday night, let me know.  I can take a cab or the bus if I have to, but I figured I'd ask.

I might arrive Sunday evening if I can leave on time Saturday--that gives me one day to rest from driving, same as I did for Rocky Mtn.  It's about a 20 hour drive from here, so I would split it up into two days driving down (slightly longer first day).  I reserved two nights at the Best Western in La Place LA ($80.99 w/ discount per night), which is about 40-50 minutes from the rally start at Jackson Barracks. I'm more of a Rockies/Southwest type for destinations, so this will be a first visit to N'Awlins and I'll have a day to get out with the camera. 

Going home, it's about 11½ hours by the clock (10½ drive time, plus the time zone change).  But if the roads are clear, I might go through the U.P. instead, to avoid the cluster around Chicago.  Adds another 90+ minutes but it might be worth it.  I'm not driving a Yugo, so a trip across the Mackinack Bridge is mostly safe.  hmm  Thankfully the finish line seems to be at 3:30pm, so I can get a couple hour start towards home once it's finished.

--Rudy

I use this site when planning travel, and mapped out the Great River Road Rally to get an idea for temperatures and precipitation:

https://weatherspark.com/compare/m/11/1 … n-November

If it snows in St. Paul, well, it won't be the first time some of us have traveled through snow on a Lemons Rally.  big_smile

--Rudy

43 (edited by squirrel 2022-10-10 06:58 AM)

Wow...planning travel, based on weather. That's a new concept for me.

smile

neat site, thanks! Looks like a pretty bad time to be heading up the river, but hey, this game isn't about making wise choices

squirrel wrote:

Wow...planning travel, based on weather. That's a new concept for me.

smile

I use Weatherspark mainly for the non-rally road trips, so I have an idea of the best time to visit a destination.  In fact, my better half and I have been kicking around the idea of spending a week in your neck of the woods this coming winter.  By about January or February, we need some sunlight, warmth, and sunlight...not necessarily in that order.

With the Great River Road Rally, it gives me an idea of what extra "stuff" I should pack, aside from warmer clothing than normal. Although not quite as warm as what a person would require if driving an MG TD over Monarch Pass with the top down. big_smile

--Rudy

yeah...more than I have on in this picture....

http://selectric.org/53mg/monarch.jpg

46 (edited by puttcharlie 2022-10-14 04:21 AM)

So, for an awesome reason (and I'm not being facetious, it's a great reason) my teammates have had to cancel their rally plans.  So It looks like it's time to peruse marketplace ads and rental companies and see how cheaply I can acquire a car that will get me from NOLA to the Cities.  What I'm gonna do with a car if I buy it once I get to the cities, I have no clue.  But I'll work that part out if I come to it.

Edit: I took a good hard look at my finances, and while I can't not afford to do the rally with a rental car, the simple fact is that I have other places I need to put that money.  So I'm gonna have to sit this one out as well.  Good luck to everyone who makes the trip.

puttcharlie wrote:

Edit: I took a good hard look at my finances, and while I can't not afford to do the rally with a rental car, the simple fact is that I have other places I need to put that money.  So I'm gonna have to sit this one out as well.  Good luck to everyone who makes the trip.

Planning on a rally for next year?  I've already signed up and booked rooms for the Rocky Mountain Breakdown.  And the Rust Belt is a no-brainer since I live 20 minutes from the rally start.  (And with it ending in Cleveland, my youngest can probably tag along this time since it's only one day off from work.)

--Rudy

The Hooptie Garage wrote:

Planning on a rally for next year?  I've already signed up and booked rooms for the Rocky Mountain Breakdown.  And the Rust Belt is a no-brainer since I live 20 minutes from the rally start

RMB is at the top of my list.  I want to do rallies that are in places I haven't yet been, and RMB always has great scenery.  RBR is a big maybe for me, and I'm only doing it if I have a rally partner.  Not interested in doing any more solo rallies.  Starting in '24 I plan on trying to do Retreat from Moscow every year for the same reason you like RBR.  It starts an hour from my house.  When it starts in PA, that is.

I'd love to do retreat from Moscow, in a Fairmont (my first car rental ever was a Fairmont when I visited Tobyhanna Army Depot, january 1984, for 6 weeks). But it's during robot build season, so it probably won't happen any time soon.

50 (edited by The Hooptie Garage 2022-10-25 06:42 AM)

puttcharlie wrote:

RMB is at the top of my list.  I want to do rallies that are in places I haven't yet been, and RMB always has great scenery.  RBR is a big maybe for me, and I'm only doing it if I have a rally partner.  Not interested in doing any more solo rallies.  Starting in '24 I plan on trying to do Retreat from Moscow every year for the same reason you like RBR.  It starts an hour from my house.  When it starts in PA, that is.

You'll enjoy Rocky Mtn., and I like that it's in a completely different part of the Rockies for 2023. With the 2022 version, I had visited all of the major locations overnight on prior road trips (it was like a "Greatest Hits" tour for me), but didn't take the same side roads and didn't stop at checkpoints (other than in Cisco, as Moab is one of my top destinations).  For 2023, I've been to Yellowstone and Glacier, and driven the 2-laners to get to the national parks, but most of this one will be new territory for me.  I won't be taking a hooptie on this rally either--it'll be the daily driver as I already have the "road terrain" tires on it (purchased specifically for these types of road trips) and may have a 1.5-inch lift installed by the time May rolls around.  I intend to be in Colorado and/or Utah before or after the rally to explore a bucket list of the unpaved roads, something I can't do in a car with little ground clearance and no all-wheel drive.

I'll have to see how I do on the Great River Road.  I can't sit more than an hour in the car before I'm starting to ache (I've had arthritis in the hips for almost 20 years now, so taller vehicles help with the pain management).  But I've been saying that Earl Burner Civic is going to attend a rally, and it has missed Rocky Mtn and Rust Belt already...Rallymaster Jeff™ will approve if I finally show up in it.  big_smile

BTW, I did book mostly affordable rooms around the checkpoints on this rally.  If anyone is interested, I can list them out.  Many are under $100 before tax.  I try to stay ~20 minutes or less from the overnight cities we stay in.  For New Orleans, I picked a Best Western in La Place, LA that had a good rate for two nights.  I'm arriving Sunday, so I'll have Monday to unwind and see some local sights.

--Rudy