Topic: Would this car be eligible? abandoned Z3 5speed

Hi all, I think I may have a very interesting candidate for a Lemons race. A member of my direct family who may be interested in racing on the team with me has a 1990s 4cyl z3 with a 5 speed. The car has a smooshed hood and front fender from being backed into by something tall like a box truck but still drives perfectly. It also has a very leaky top so it is growing moss and soggy inside.  The question comes around how much the car cost. He owns a tow company and the car was abandoned and his company was called tow it in. After months and months of sitting abandoned at his lot, he was issued a title to it from the state and the short of it is his cost to acquire the car was only the cost of a tow. The smallest conclusion for his direct cost is simply the hourly rate for his driver and fuel.. I don't know if this would be accepted as its quite low but legitimate given the situation(somewhere under $100). I guess I could also see the argument for price being the rate he would have charged for the tow to someone, but even that is below $200. If I produce the paperwork proving all of this do you think I would be fine to use that amount as my starting point for the build and if so which of the prices?  Thank you very much for your time and responses.

Re: Would this car be eligible? abandoned Z3 5speed

ChevyFoxbody wrote:

Hi all, I think I may have a very interesting candidate for a Lemons race. A member of my direct family who may be interested in racing on the team with me has a 1990s 4cyl z3 with a 5 speed. The car has a smooshed hood and front fender from being backed into by something tall like a box truck but still drives perfectly. It also has a very leaky top so it is growing moss and soggy inside.  The question comes around how much the car cost. He owns a tow company and the car was abandoned and his company was called tow it in. After months and months of sitting abandoned at his lot, he was issued a title to it from the state and the short of it is his cost to acquire the car was only the cost of a tow. The smallest conclusion for his direct cost is simply the hourly rate for his driver and fuel.. I don't know if this would be accepted as its quite low but legitimate given the situation(somewhere under $100). I guess I could also see the argument for price being the rate he would have charged for the tow to someone, but even that is below $200. If I produce the paperwork proving all of this do you think I would be fine to use that amount as my starting point for the build and if so which of the prices?  Thank you very much for your time and responses.

So here is the thing. You can bring almost anything you want as long as you go into it with no intention of winning. If you want a fun atmosphere and cheap track time throw safety gear in the car and bring it.  Do a fun theme and have
a generally good attitude; no one will question it. And if you go into it for fun and end up a couple of penalty laps oh well.

ChevyFoxbody wrote:

Today I learned that BMW put the M44 into the Z3! Bring some paperwork and a bill of sale or a receipt or something, but the Z3 is basically an E36 convertible with some ZAZZ.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

nobody will care. cage it and rage it. at least it isn't yet another 3-series!

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

5 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2022-09-30 11:41 AM)

I suggest you read the rules, and then peruse this forum for similar questions - this has likely been addressed before.

A recent discussion about valuation, and classing (BS Inspection), will be helpful.

I'll suggest you stay with the "stickies" in the 'Lemons Newcomers' subheading. Some have more than a hundred posts, and it may take a while to go through them, but you'll learn a lot about valuation.

As recently said in a thread, 'you'll be able to race it if it passes safety tech'; class designation and 'penalty' laps are entirely subjective.

Welcome, and good luck with your build.

[edit]

Oh, look! Everybody posted at once - saying basically the same thing.

I apologize for duplicating an authoritative source like "therood"; in case of any discrepancy, use his answer as guidance.

[/edit]

350z wrote:

Good luck.   Guys think true $500 cars are $50,000 cars and $5,000 cars are $500 on this

Ignore this comment as an answer to your question. His complaint doesn't relate to your situation.

Yes, your car is eligible, however everyone who has been here for a while will tell you the following or something like it:

- You won't win your first race, so build the car, take any penalty laps handed out by the judges with your big-boy or big-girl pants on, have fun.
- Have a great theme and you'll likely get fewer penalty laps, if any.
- Keep records if you really think you might get penalty laps, AND want to fight them. You MIGHT win, but likely not.
- The Judges know what cheaty cars look like, though newer Judges are a bit more critical and likely to put you in a higher class.
- A GOOD bribe, might get a Judge to change their mind, but if the car is cheaty probably not.
- Don't whine. Don't be a D!¢K. Keep a good attitude. HAVE FUN!!! That's why most of do this silliness.
- IF your car is fast from the factory, BMW Z3 = Probably YES, make a weird engine swap if you want to run is a slow class. Judges LOVE that.
- DON'T WHINE!!! DON'T COMPLAIN!!!
- RTFM 10X -  "How Not To Fail Lemons Tech Inspection
- You won't win your first race, so build the car, take any penalty laps handed out by the judges with your big-boy or big-girl pants on, have fun.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

ChevyFoxbody wrote:

This falls into the category of just because you got it for $200.00, doesn't mean its worth $200 as far as BS tech goes. If you want tor race it, its fine. Just bring it. Give it a good theme and understand you might get laps. It's basically a light weight E36/E30 with a less powerful engine (but less weight). E36 tend to live in A. If you don't threaten to sue if you don't get in C and just go out to have fun, you will be fine.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I race a 318ti in A class. It's the same chassis (E36 front, E30 rear) and engine as the 4 cylinder Z3 but with a roof. Way less ZAZZ in hatchback form, but we make up for it with love.

See comments above about expectations and attitude.

#330 Rubber City Racing
#688 SHOuth of the Border

350z wrote:

We won our first race.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:
350z wrote:

We won our first race.

I think there were 100 percent more rookie winners in the first 15-20 races. Just a hunch...

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com