Topic: New Hampshire Hooptiefest Questions

The Hooptiefest will be our first Lemons race and I wanted to know if there are certain services at the race.
Tire machine - we have spare tires but not rims (yet)
Hydraulic press - if we need to change wheel bearings after day 1
  - The other option is to build spare uprights (not done yet)

Thanks!
John

2 (edited by chaase 2022-09-13 06:43 AM)

Re: New Hampshire Hooptiefest Questions

No and No

The town of Loudon is only a few miles away and there are multiple tire places if you need it, Rims are budget exempt so get an extra rim or two and pre-mount the spare tires.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

You may find someone crazy enough to haul a press to the track, but don't count on it. If you think a bearing is suspect either change it before, or bring a fully prepped spare upright ready to go. No one will care that you brought spares, bring all the spares you want.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

You may find someone crazy enough to haul a press to the track, but don't count on it. If you think a bearing is suspect either change it before, or bring a fully prepped spare upright ready to go. No one will care that you brought spares, bring all the spares you want.

We pressed two Saturn wheel bearings w/o a press. it's not fun but it can be done. The tongue jack on a trailer can also be used in a pinch.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I'v done a neon at the track with a big hammer a few sockets and a big vice.

We were back on track in 2 hours, and that included the trip to the local parts store to get the bearings.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Pro Tip: If your car is relatively common, score a full set of hubs and load them up with good bearings. It's probably $50 a corner to pre-load them*, but if you've got a couple hundred bucks and the time do it before the race weekend, the math checks out on the time/money it'll save.

I say this like I was smart enough to do it when I raced. I wasn't, but we did carry spare half-shafts and could swap them out in ~10 minutes. A hub swap should be probably about the same? Front-wheel-drive cars (I assume that's what you have if you're asking about presses) straight-up murder wheel bearings and half-shafts in Lemons.

*That's a first-time cost. You'll have the hubs already for a second race, so it's just the cost of fresh bearings after that.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

7 (edited by duthehustle93 2022-09-14 09:46 AM)

Trailer jack or hydraulic jack between trailer or truck is a DIY bead-breaker or press. Usually the bearing can even be removed and installed with a hammer in a pinch. Don't forget about the splines between the axle and hub, sometimes those can seize and a BFH doesn't get them apart and you'll need a shop press.

I've spooned on tires at tracks with a couple tire irons... but you'll be at it for hours if you don't have the technique down.

If you aren't trying to be super competitive and don't mind losing seat time fixing things, just look for the closest shop that can press apart a hub and look for the closest tire shop with long hours, save their info, and hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Thanks,  The car has new bearings in the front, I had just read that they are a common failure point with some added heat.
I will source a spare set of knuckles and have new bearings in them.
Rims for this car are a little hard to find for a decent price, I will keep looking

Thanks
John

If possible pack the bearings with Red Line CV-2 Grease. We went from swapping our bearings after each day to maybe once a year. Even the Chinese ones are holding up.

Nuthin' but a Z Thang -  1976 Datsun 280Z

jgenereux wrote:

The Hooptiefest will be our first Lemons race and I wanted to know if there are certain services at the race.
Tire machine - we have spare tires but not rims (yet)
Hydraulic press - if we need to change wheel bearings after day 1
  - The other option is to build spare uprights (not done yet)

Thanks!
John

There is a dude that does tires just up the road from NHMS, call them to see that they open. Sydow's Auto Service Center think the name of the place.

for press, get an arbor press from HF if you really need it.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),