Re: Great River Road Rally

Kidding. No one you know - I promise.

Laffite bar rockin' yesterday. Elwood Blues

Fun rally! I made it home, through the snow in KS/OK.

anyone wanna buy a nice low mile Rambler? it's for sale

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

A battle-tested Rambler with a baling-wire clutch linkage. I mean, how could someone not buy this for a future rally? big_smile

I agree, it was a good rally.  Not as much of a slog as I thought it would be.  Being a possible one-time thing, I'm glad I took part.

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage

It was a fun rally to follow along with, as well.  Though I can see where I would've easily gotten messed up as a solo driver, so in some ways I'm glad I sat it out.  Doesn't look like the participation numbers supported doing it again any time soon, so you may be right about it being a one-time thing.  It's always fun to see how rallies progress and evolve, and I hope to be back as a participant sooner rather than later. 

Jim, did you list the Rambler for sale in the sale forum yet?  I bet it'd be an IOE slam dunk in a 24HOL race.

It's on craigslist and the HAMB. asking 4k for it, which is pretty expensive for an old pile of crap. But I'll drop the price until it sells.

I didn't have too much trouble running solo this time, I think I got all the checkpoints except the first one (extra 4 hours of driving) and the Indianola, which I just plain forgot to go to.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

Other than forgetting (!) to stop at a checkpoint (I stopped at one of my waypoints and forgot to go the extra 0.8 miles to the checkpoint), the rally wasn't all that difficult doing it solo.  But it makes for a full day.  I make sure everything is looked up the evening prior, and enter all the stops in navigation in the morning (or half of them, as I can only enter ten maximum). 

Ironically I had a free day before the rally with relatively little driving, and drove down to the "bottom" of Louisiana and stopped at Fort Jackson.  And I wasn't up for doing the sa,e drive again, especially seeing how late I would have gotten in during the evening.

I can't say I looked at the recommended app at all--I first had it on my primary phone, and it was draining the battery a bit.  I put it on the second phone in the car (which is connected to the head unit for navigation) and other than restarting it once, I never looked at it.  I never felt a need to see where anyone else was at, but that's just my own preference.

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage