Re: Its reverse February at Thunderhill!

therood wrote:
Bricoop wrote:

Throw checker then all blacks, park everyone in pits
have cars do u-turn coming out of pits. 
have cars stop at start/finish until everyone is out. 
run some laps under yellow
Go green

This is more or less the conceit: Treat it like a black flag all, everyone goes back out in the order they came in with a U-turn.

That said, we're still figuring out the X's and O's, so...

Lay on us all the problems we haven't thought about.

Pit On and Pit Off. Will these locations change? Theoretically don’t need to. If they do change, consider large signs to help keep people straight.

rb92673 wrote:

How do you determine the winner?  Laps on Saturday are a lot longer than laps on Sunday.  I can't see someone on the Lemons staff multiplying Saturday laps by 5 and Sunday laps by 3 for the 100 or so cars on track.

Thought of this on the shower last night, knew it was going to frustrate people. Lol

Was I thinking of Eric in the shower…maybe

chaase wrote:

If they are going to multiply it by anything, it would be Pi.

Thunderhill is a road course, not a circle track.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Bricoop wrote:

Pit On and Pit Off. Will these locations change? Theoretically don’t need to. If they do change, consider large signs to help keep people straight.

They would need to change,or you would have cars coming out of the paddock onto pit lane crossing in front of cars exiting pit lane heading into the paddock.....and that would not end well.....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird wrote:
Bricoop wrote:

They would need to change,or you would have cars coming out of the paddock onto pit lane crossing in front of cars exiting pit lane heading into the paddock.....and that would not end well.....

I’m not sure I follow. As long as the on/off are not on top of each other, you don’t need to switch them. It doesn’t matter if pit off is at the front or the rear. Only thing to be aware of is the ability to get free laps if the on/off are on opposite sides of the start finish.

Think of getting on at Sonoma. It doesn’t matter if I get on at the gas pumps or next to the black flag. As long as there is traffic control(as there always is, it wouldn’t be an issue). Those getting on are crossing paths with those who have completed a pit stop.

Eager Beaver wrote:

I don't understand how the original venue just cancels. Did someone forget to make a deposit?

Happened once before many years ago, some Mopar group came along and threw a bunch of money at the track (Spring Mountain?, can't recall) and they took their money and dumped Lemons. IIRC, they took their sweet time returning the deposit which cheesed off Jay to no end.  Which is why I laugh every time someone suggests we go to that track.  The cancellation happened pretty late in the game.  That's how Lemons ended up with a one time only race at Firebird, AZ at the last minute.  That race happened before I even heard about it.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

32 (edited by chaase 2022-12-08 06:11 AM)

BigBird wrote:
Bricoop wrote:

At least in the North East tracks, switching track on w/track off would work just fine.If you try to use the same track om and track off in both directions, it would mean doing a 180 into live traffic.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I believe this was the reason the Topeka race was canceled in 2020 as well.  NHRA got covid canceled early in the year and for some reason Heartland Park thought NHRA would bring in more money than a Lemons event later in the year??? 

cheseroo wrote:
Eager Beaver wrote:

I don't understand how the original venue just cancels. Did someone forget to make a deposit?

Happened once before many years ago, some Mopar group came along and threw a bunch of money at the track (Spring Mountain?, can't recall) and they took their money and dumped Lemons. IIRC, they took their sweet time returning the deposit which cheesed off Jay to no end.  Which is why I laugh every time someone suggests we go to that track.  The cancellation happened pretty late in the game.  That's how Lemons ended up with a one time only race at Firebird, AZ at the last minute.  That race happened before I even heard about it.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

HAHAHA

Mr. Unruly wrote:

I figure to reverse direction on Sunday noon, just throw a red flag, everyone stops and then everyone just makes a U turn! Easy Peasy!

Just race this car:

https://classicvirus.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/screenshot008.jpg?w=600&h=343

Eager Beaver wrote:

Despite looking like complete idiots, Lemons is and always has been extremely diligent about paying anything and everything asked of us from the tracks. It's one of the reasons tracks like having us.

In this case, someone with deeper pockets went to the track's corporate owners and slapped down money to rent the facility for 12 weeks. Tracks tend to struggle to find renters to show up for a day here and there. It's kind of a no brainer to take that money and not have the track go unrented for probably 30-40 days over a three-month period instead.

Supply and command, you know?

https://media.tenor.com/z3DpzLtSDasAAAAM/tpb-ricky.gif

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

12 weeks?!? Yeah, I woulda taken the money too...

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

duthehustle93 wrote:

12 weeks?!? Yeah, I woulda taken the money too...

seriously....that is a lot of $$$$ to plop down in front of a track.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

If I'm being honest, I'm not disappointed to be racing at Thunderhill again.  Its such a good facility.

Bricoop wrote:
timburrman wrote:

In case you haven't heard, the spring race at Sonoma got cancelled and we are heading to Thunderhill instead. The new schedule is, uh, different..... would love to hear everyone’s houghts on it.

I found a video of the 3 mile in reverse direction (Sunday AM) but I haven't found one on the 5 mile reverse direction. Post it up if you have one. Here is the link to the 3 mile reverse video. 
https://youtu.be/BA4NhngNeBk

I think it's pretty cool for Lemons to try something different. I have 2 questions though.
1. What the heck are we going to do on test day?? I am sure there will be many people interested in testing if it is also the 5 mile reverse direction.

2. How are they going to switch direction at noon on Sunday? I know it seems easy, but so is not passing under Yellow and speeding in the paddock. And we know how that goes every race.....

Thoughts?

Throw checker then all blacks, park everyone in pits
have cars do u-turn coming out of pits. 
have cars stop at start/finish until everyone is out. 
run some laps under yellow
Go green

Side note:
The normal turn 1 will now be the entry to the straightaway. Cars are going to have a running start into that straightaway and be flying by the end of it.  Lets party.

One of the few things we got right this weekend.