Topic: How much damage is too much damage?

Quick question for a FNG and his newbie team. We're looking at a few cars and have come across some good deals on cars that have been written off from an accident. We're looking at one that looks like the guy rear-ended someone at a slow-ish speed and a trailer hitch turned the front bumper from an I into a V. Looking at the rules for the crash structure states...

3.4.2 OE Crush Structures. Modifications that reduce the size and/or effectiveness of OE crush structures—including but not limited to shortening or removing frame rails or unibody structures outside the wheelbase—are discouraged in the strongest possible terms. Cars with compromised OE crush structures are exceedingly likely to fail tech. Non-OE replacement crush structures are not an acceptable substitute; you and your stick welder ain’t NHTSA.

We're reasonably confident that we can pull the crash bar/bumper out enough to re-straighten the end of the frame rails and bolt on a new OE (obviously) crashbar. Will this be acceptable or will we fail tech if the judge catches a whiff of a wrinkle in the frame? We've looked around a lot and we've found info ranging from "Any damage to the frame/frame rail is an instant DQ!" to "Here's a write-up on how to straighten out the frame on your Lemons car with a tree and some chains." so we're a little uncertain.

Thanks for the help.

Re: How much damage is too much damage?

There are lots of cars that have suffered damage and have been made legal to race. I have also seen cars turned away, permanently.  When in doubt, click the contact button above and send pictures to head of tech John Pagel.  He would much rather tell you before you buy then when you show up at the track.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

3 (edited by OnkelUdo 2022-12-13 03:39 AM)

Frito wrote:

Quick question for a FNG and his newbie team. We're looking at a few cars and have come across some good deals on cars that have been written off from an accident. We're looking at one that looks like the guy rear-ended someone at a slow-ish speed and a trailer hitch turned the front bumper from an I into a V. Looking at the rules for the crash structure states...

3.4.2 OE Crush Structures. Modifications that reduce the size and/or effectiveness of OE crush structures—including but not limited to shortening or removing frame rails or unibody structures outside the wheelbase—are discouraged in the strongest possible terms. Cars with compromised OE crush structures are exceedingly likely to fail tech. Non-OE replacement crush structures are not an acceptable substitute; you and your stick welder ain’t NHTSA.

We're reasonably confident that we can pull the crash bar/bumper out enough to re-straighten the end of the frame rails and bolt on a new OE (obviously) crashbar. Will this be acceptable or will we fail tech if the judge catches a whiff of a wrinkle in the frame? We've looked around a lot and we've found info ranging from "Any damage to the frame/frame rail is an instant DQ!" to "Here's a write-up on how to straighten out the frame on your Lemons car with a tree and some chains." so we're a little uncertain.

Thanks for the help.

It is a much harder way to start your road to Lemons glory.  Anything you can do to make that road easier is a good idea.

That said, if the damage is repaired such that it would pass for OEM, no one will ever know.

10-4, thanks everyone. I also realized it probably would have been better to post this in the tech channel, thank you for the responses anyways. I'll get some photos over to Pagel just to be on the safe side.

I mean, its mostly straight now...

https://youtu.be/vbEymh5oBgA

Sorry For Party Racing, Ran When Parked Racing. #3 eLSS Camino, #21 TWAP Solstice.
WAP Pontiac Solstice (RIP)2007-2023