Topic: Suspension upgrades

Evening! So I had a total derp moment when I realized that repairs to the fuel system are UPSTREAM of the fuel pump. Our awe inspiring VW kitsune had issues DOWNSTREAM! Doh!!!!

So as far as brakes, suspension, etc, what is counted under safety and what is considered non-exempt? Lowering springs? Bilstein/Koni Shocks? Home fabricated strut tower bars? Oversized sway bars? Big brake kits? I can upgrade the brakes to 4 wheel discs using GTi parts, and Wilwood makes a kit for that I can use with the factory 9.4 rotors or gti 10.1 rotors. Also I can upgrade to vented discs vs the solids that are on there. However, those upgrades, even using JY parts as much as possible, will run around 2-3k would that count towards the cost of the car? Or does it fold into safety? I plan on being at around $800-900 dollars on the cars purchase/ go fast price, but if I upgrades suspension and brakes like I want and it turns out those upgrades count towards to cost of the car that would be no bueno! Might as well call ourselves Team BS Factor racing! Lol

2 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2022-12-27 02:35 PM)

Re: Suspension upgrades

There's a ton of information already in the forum; I lurked for a year and a half before even registering to ask a question.

And I still had/have questions. And, I sometimes forget the answers I've already found.

I skimmed the thread subject lines, and frequently did a deep dive into interesting threads.

That could be something for the young'uns to contribute.

I'll generalize what I've found:

SAFETY items: spend as much as you want.

GO FAST / HANDLING PARTS: likely are budget items.

Many recommend [edit:]vented rotors rather than [edit:]drilled/slotted.

It's just penalty laps. And the Grand Prize is the IOE, anyway.

Pay the entry fee (early enough if it's over- subscribed, though not many - if any - have recently been over- subscribed) and pass tech, you'll get to race.

Make it safe.
Make it last.
Make it handle.
Make it fast.

BRAKES = FREE (NO BUDGET EFFECT)
WHEELS = FREE
EXHAUST AFTER HEADERS/TURBO/CAT = FREE
FUEL SYSTEM = FREE (TO CARB/INJECTORS)
SUSPENSION PARTS FOR SAFETY (STOCK PARTS BALL JOINT, BUSHING) = MOSTLY FREE
STEERING PARTS FOR SAFETY = FREE
WHEEL BEARINGS/LUGS/ETC. = FREE

EXHAUST HEADERS/TURBO/DOWNPIPE = CHARGE BUDGET
FUEL SYSTEM CARB/INJECTORS = CHARGE BUDGET
SUSPENSION GO FAST PARTS = CHARGE BUDGET
STEERING GO FAST PARTS = CHARGE BUDGET
TURBO/ENGINES/INTAKE = CHARGE BUDGET

MODIFIED STOCK-TYPE PARTS TO GO FAST = ENCOURAGED

GRAY AREAS ARE THINGS LIKE RADIATORS/FUEL PUMPS/CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL/SHIFTERS/TRANSMISSION UPGRADES

YMMV, BUT IT'S PRETTY CLOSE

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

As long as your car isn't cheaty (starting with a VW), I am not sure they don't care that much. Even if they give laps, you still race...

Get good endurance brakes (we run PFC08s), fresh rotors, lines, etc. Budget exempt so going all disc would be good as would vented (avoid drilled or slotted though). Get good tires, decent wheels (TRM are nice and cheap).

Suspension is not exempt, but... unless you have bling camber plates and coilovers and shiny swaybars, who knows the difference? We run offset strut mounts (flipped them around and re-drilled strut tower), cut a coil in front, cut leftover stock 540 springs in half for rear, and then have M3-type sway bar mounts and a cabriolet front bar - works great, super cheap junkyard mods. That's in the spirit of Lemons to fabricate something inexpensively.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Many recommend solid rotors rather than vented/slotted.

Are you perhaps confusing drilled with vented?

Vented rotors are good.  Drilled and slotted rotors are often not so good.

hoverducky wrote:
Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Many recommend solid rotors rather than vented/slotted.

Are you perhaps confusing drilled with vented?

Vented rotors are good.  Drilled and slotted rotors are often not so good.

Vented rotors = good.

Drilled and/or slotted = not good

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Swarles, hover, chaase: thank you [fixed above]!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the confirmation of the info. The thing that got me thinking about it the most is upgrading the brakes. to get good race pads the simplest solution is Wilwood. Color me shocked that they make something that can bolt on to a fox!!! Most of the other items it looks like junkyard scrounging will be the rule of the day. And thanks lemon newton metre for reminding me about teaching the kids how to comprehend the rule book! I wanted to be sure I wasn’t misunderstanding anything myself.

Porterfield Brakes will custom make race pads for your specific application.
You can get there R-4 or R-4E compound, OR they'll make a set in Raybestos ST43
which a lot of racers on here like.
They'll even line a set of brake shoes in your size.

So, if you want to junkyard mix and match you still have options for race pads.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater