Topic: (Great Lakes Region) Looking for a captain for our collegiate team

Hello and Merry Christmas!

In the past year a group of friends and I have started a Lemons team at our university campus in Ft. Wayne, IN, and all's been well in our development until recently. While our satellite campus has generally been excited to see our progression, the RM office at main campus has deemed recently that any wheel-to-wheel racing poses too much risk for their image. We're still allowed to go autocrossing, but that just isn't where our interests for this club lie.

After some back and forth, we've reached an agreement that for endurance events, the car (devoid of any university branding or ties), can be leased out to a 3rd party group, and while the club members can participate in the group it's been made clear that the group cannot consist solely of our members (there also seems to be an expectation that there is some previous experience).

What we are looking for is someone to be our team captain at Lemons events and as the 3rd party "group" to satisfy our university. We plan to take care of all car related expenses and mantainence items as part of our group, then pay out any enterance fees (or at least the enterance fees of our car & members) from the club's account. If you're interested or know someone who wants to get back into Lemons and you live in the Great Lakes region, please reach out. Alternatively, if you have any ideas or suggestions on how to progress, either in general or in concern to our red tape maze, I would be glad to hear it. Thank you for reading.

(We're also in the process of purchasing a car, but if that falls through we're open to any local offers)

Re: (Great Lakes Region) Looking for a captain for our collegiate team

That is pretty nice concept. could also do a fiat captain? You guys trying to get a built race car or start from scratch?
FYI i am way too far in NYC, just curious.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

3 (edited by SwarlesInCharge 2022-12-27 08:24 AM)

I could be interested. I put together a team of my fellow SAE Baja grads after college and had fun. I have a car / team but wouldn't mind mixing it up with new people. I am a couple of hours away but the regional events are the same location no matter starting point.

Someone at work has also done the same with a younger college kid team, so he might partake as well or some of the A&D folks I have raced with.

What's the car?

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

Hello fellow Fort Wayne neighbor! I’m assuming you’re at PFW. I’ve done about 30 some Lemons races and had my own car, the Great Wall Motors Voleex C20R and been lucky enough to race with some other great Midwest teams, mainly Bad Decisions Racing of Dustbuster, 1948 Plymouth, and BMVolga fame.

I’d be glad to meet anytime to talk, and am on vacation through Tues 1/2. I live in Aboite township and work in Auburn at manufacturing outfit heavy in Automotive. A well-known west coast racer works for Purdue now in WL and might be interested as well.

Text is probably the best way to get in touch if you’d like to talk - Two 6 0 - 34Eight - Sixty-Six41.

Thank you all for your responses, yep it's PFW and I'll send a text your way nickD. In response to kakarot's question, while I wouldn't say no to a prebuilt car I think building our own car is both good experience and will probably be easier to pay for as we raise funds. We're going to look at a 4 banger z3 this Saturday and will purchase it if all goes accordingly. I know it's not a particularly lemons-y choice, but as far as parts availability, running costs and (hopefully) reliability goes I hope it'll be a good choice for at least starting out. Who knows, might end up with a reprise of the AMX z3 wink.