Topic: Indianapolis Rookies Need New Car

I’ve got a group of college gearheads looking for a new Lemons project. We had to scrap our first two candidates- a Fiero (engine seized and the swap became a nightmare) and a Volvo 240 (rust was just too far gone). If anyone has any tips or leads on finding something that runs and isn’t rotted out, I’d appreciate it. We’ve got access to a great garage but just don’t have the time for engine rebuilds and extensive fabrication work. Any advice is welcome!

Re: Indianapolis Rookies Need New Car

Welcome to the forum!

I'm assuming by "fabrication" work you're likely talking about welding the cage, yes?

Plenty of ~*ready to race cars* in the "Cars for sale or rent" section - that's generally considered to be the quickest and least expensive way to get on track.

By report, there was - just a moment ago - a Fiero purchased in Detroit; in case 'scrap' meant 'scrap the idea', and you still have it to sell off; you might still be able to find contact info.

( ... there is a running E46 here that's available at what I believe is a reasonable price point, and a professional (not me) cage builder that's looking for work ... but that's a little too self-serving - sorry ...).

Good luck with your search

How many on the team? I would be patient and score a turn-key pre-raced car and focus on logistics of running a team, and gear.

I sold majority ownership of my racecar a year ago or else would offer it up. If you want any advice or help, I'm local.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

I will go look at the 1999 Jetta out back next weekend if you are interested.  I was 90% rust free when I parked it out back 4 years ago.  It is yours for free in Lake Station, IN if I deem it "better" than what you have described.  It needs a non-auto-adjusting clutch cable (included), shifter adjustment since I replaced the bushings and got pissed off trying to get left-right correctly adjusted solo and revived from sitting for 4 years.  It is 5-speed 2.slow, no options but AC car so literally perfect for anew team.  Even Judge Eric Rood has agreed.

PArts for 2.slow, A-whatever tranny cars exist in everyt backwoods pick-n-pull.  ALL parts are inexpensive and except the 14" stock wheel issue, they are stupid cheap to run...but 15" VW wheels are almost free.

If you take OnkelUdo up on the Jetta, I have a set of  four 15" 5x100 wheels and nearly new tires that I'll swap for a bottle of decent Bourbon, Scotch, or Irish whiskey.  They came on a Beetle we bought, but won't fit over our upgraded/slightly larger front discs.  I'll toss in an extra 16" VW aluminum factory wheel.  He's right about VW wheels being cheap. Our local Pull-A-Part had three early New Beetles with the 16" aluminum rims yesterday.

OnkelUdo wrote:

I will go look at the 1999 Jetta out back next weekend if you are interested.  I was 90% rust free when I parked it out back 4 years ago.  It is yours for free in Lake Station, IN if I deem it "better" than what you have described.  It needs a non-auto-adjusting clutch cable (included), shifter adjustment since I replaced the bushings and got pissed off trying to get left-right correctly adjusted solo and revived from sitting for 4 years.  It is 5-speed 2.slow, no options but AC car so literally perfect for anew team.  Even Judge Eric Rood has agreed.
PArts for 2.slow, A-whatever tranny cars exist in everyt backwoods pick-n-pull.  ALL parts are inexpensive and except the 14" stock wheel issue, they are stupid cheap to run...but 15" VW wheels are almost free.

That'd be awesome, definitely let me know if you think she's salvageable. At this point, we're much more focused on availability than speed, and parts would be incredibly easy to come by for a Jetta. Hard to beat free!

OnkelUdo wrote:

A VW with the 2.0L ABA is indeed a great starting point for Lemons.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com