Re: Thoughts on Thunderhill

ukemike wrote:

I was really not happy with the cyclone in reverse.  I don't like how it is completely blind, even more blind than forward.

Yeah the Cyclone was quite hairy, not being able to see the rumble strip was wild, you basically just had to yank the car to the right whenever that cone came into view, I was not a fan. God forbid you take it too fast and you're on a rollercoaster going down through the dirt.

Bricoop wrote:
therood wrote:

(And yes, people have complained about virtually everything in the five years I've been full-time staff.)

The track wasn’t crowded enough is my personal favorite.

lol

This was my first trip to Thunderhill Raceway. It was nice. The 3 races was a bit troublesome. I had to learn 3 tracks in one weekend. By far my favorite was Saturdays 5 mile track. It felt like the track had a very good flow.

29 (edited by Bricoop 2023-03-07 01:49 PM)

On Friday practice I watched a white miata? end up 50 yards off the left of the Cyclone.  I actually found the cyclone to be fine and there's time to be made on a unique line.  Our only concern there was the blind hill to the right and the corner worker to the left, it wouldn't be hard to miss a flag.  Aiming at the cone made it pretty straight forward for us.  Without that cone it would have been impossible.

I could not get 9c/9e transition right (backwards transition to the long straightaways).  I kept getting sucked in early.  And even when I did hit my marks, I couldn't get the truck to rotate.  Putting 2 in the dirt left of the curb at 9c helped a bit, but that seemed outside the spirit, so didn't revisit that line often. 

10W you could take a super wide line, which I would do, but need to watch for someone going up the inside (I almost took out my teammate this way, I'll find the video).  I also couldn't get 7W rotating, but that's just what happens on a 114" wheelbase.

I did really enjoy some of the lines starting at 9W and working to 9C and figuring new lines out.   

https://lapmeta.com/storage/map/w3XhTChJ18.svg

10C and 1W was hairy as well, the downhill braking and weight-shift was definitely an experience. 10W to 7W was a cool sector, our car flowed well through there.

Jake Umebayashi wrote:

10C and 1W was hairy as well, the downhill braking and weight-shift was definitely an experience. 10W to 7W was a cool sector, our car flowed well through there.

I agree, could easily catch you out if you weren't looking ahead....or just hop the curb on the right.  I don't have any hp and took an outside line with consistent steering input from the end of the braking zone to the right hander exiting 1W