Topic: Headphones / headsets. Noise cancelling vs. ear buds?

We're finally getting back on the track after a 5 year hiatus.  I have a better set of radios this time, but need to figure out in helmet headsets.

Has anybody just run a set of in ear earbuds?  The type with the rubber gasket that blocks out some noise.

Or is it worth investing in a set of noise cancelling headphones?

Most posts on this topic are a few years old, but it seems like most teams have decent radios these days.

Thanks!
Ian

Team LMFAlfaRomeO

Re: Headphones / headsets. Noise cancelling vs. ear buds?

I've only run the 1 race and I had a radio hooked up to cheap in helmet speaker set from Amazon, but then I shut the cable in the door and had to switch to a $5 ear bud set from wal mart.

Both versions seemed to work just fine although mic placement with the wal mart headphones was difficult (taped it to my fire hood)

Yeah if I was right next to another car at WOat I'd have to wait for a less loud place on track and call for a repeat, but It was functional and didn't bother me.

Bigger issue than driver hearing was ppl in the pit hearing, mic picked up lots of track noise when stuff got loud.  But once again, just had to repeat sometimes.

I found the ear buds annoying to put in and not have pull out when I put my helmet on, even with the hood.

Noise canceling would worry me I wouldn't hear a problem with the car...

3 (edited by VKZ24 2023-03-08 06:07 AM)

We use these custom molded ones from EarFuze.   Besides working great as far as sound, they are waaaaay more comfortable inside a helmet than standard ear buds.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

4 (edited by rb92673 2023-03-08 08:41 AM)

Are you running a NASCAR or IMSA car harness?  Those usually have corresponding helmet kits, many of which contain a mic and a 1/8" plug to connect your earbuds.  The EarFuze were great, but then my dog ate them.  I switched to cheap earbuds, but I would usually rip those out of my ear after my helmet was on.  I also had a habit of forgetting to put the earbuds in before I got in the car.  Trying a helmet kit with in helmet speakers this year.

My car harness was made by Troy at Nerdie Racing.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

Are you running a NASCAR or IMSA car harness?  Those usually have corresponding helmet kits, many of which contain a mic and a 1/8" plug to connect your earbuds.  The EarFuze were great, but then my dog ate them.  I switched to cheap earbuds, but I would usually rip those out of my ear after my helmet was on.  I also had a habit of forgetting to put the earbuds in before I got in the car.  Trying a helmet kit with in helmet speakers this year.

My car harness was made by Troy at Nerdie Racing.

My harness and helmet kit was made by Troy as well, and mine is the NASCAR setup.  My teammate has a helmet with built in speakers that work well enough for him, but I prefer the earbuds since they help[ block noise.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Troy at Nerdie Racing is the master of car harness/PTT and all things Radio. Contact him, you won't be disappointed.
Manny

We all run the headsets from race radios direct with a Sampson radio connected with an IMSA plug. They're about $45 and audio both ways has always been louder than we'd ever need, and is pretty clear.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

+1 for Nerdie.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Thanks for the plugs guys.

Ian,

Custom molded earbuds like Earfuze are a good way to go for comfort and noise reduction. Some of our teammates make their own custom earbuds using Radians ear plug kits and a pair of earbuds they like.

A bunch of our team and I also use helmet speakers. Many helmet manufacturers now sell ear cups for their helmets to support speakers.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z