Topic: Selling T-Tops for speed part money?

This is our first year participating in Lemons, and thus, some rule confusion.

We're running a 1978 Pontiac Firebird T-Top car. I searched the forums and couldn't find any clarification on this.

Obviously the T tops cant be in place for the race for safety. No big deal. We intend on closing out the T-Top holes with sheet metal panels. But can we sell the T-Tops to recoup some money for speed parts?

"4.7    Scavenger Sales: If you sell pieces off of your car, the money that comes back in can be used to offset the initial purchase price. (This only applies to stuff that counts toward the $500 total; the sale of exempt items—like wheels, glass, interior trim, etc.—can NOT be used to offset the initial purchase price.) Just be prepared to convince some exceedingly skeptical judges of the validity of all those transactions."

the T-tops have glass in them, but theyre not 100% glass? Can we sell them under this rule, or will we catch flack for it? Its one of the very few parts of the car we can sell that are actually worth something lol.

2 (edited by chaase 2023-03-09 11:22 AM)

Re: Selling T-Tops for speed part money?

It's a 1978 Firebird, unless you did some seriously cheaty suspension and engine work, the judges aren't going to care. In general, you can't offset purchase price by selling exempt items. If you are in front of me at BS, I would say it can be used because it's not allowed to be in the car when racing.

If you are running a stock engine/transmission, I wouldn't spend any money on speed parts. You need to spend it on cooling and making sure the transmission will survive. Fast isn't going to help since you are going to be burning so much fuel you'll be stopping ever 90min or so. Our Javelin w/AMC 360 burns like 12 gal/hour so you spend a lot of time in the pits if you don't have a big fuel cell.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Sick. I appreciate the feedback. When i say speed parts, i mean anything that isn't covered under safety. We have no intentions of making the car faster. We want to spend our money on stuff like a bigger radiator and big ol trans cooler. Our goal this year is to finish the race, not win.

GeneralGrevousRacing wrote:

Sick. I appreciate the feedback. When i say speed parts, i mean anything that isn't covered under safety. We have no intentions of making the car faster. We want to spend our money on stuff like a bigger radiator and big ol trans cooler. Our goal this year is to finish the race, not win.

you'll be fine

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

my opinion is they would qualify for cost recoup. However, no judge is going to ask for your cost log book on a 78 firebird.

Also, consider leaving it open and running wrist restraints... depending on how hot your race will be some extra air flow is always nice in long stints.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

GeneralGrevousRacing wrote:

It's also an auto?!? Yeah... I can't imagine there's anything you can do for the judges to give you any grief. Do what you've gotta do and don't sweat the costs too much.

Your a new team, rolling up in a 78 firebird, with an auto transmission... I'm pretty sure you'll show up to BS and they'll put you straight into C0 and wish you the best of luck.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

our 1st car was a 1984 Trans Am L69 car with T-tops (RIP). We bought it for $850. I sold the t-tops and a bunch of other stuff for close to $1600. That got us to $0. Yes anything you sell off the car goes towards the value.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

duthehustle93 wrote:

my opinion is they would qualify for cost recoup. However, no judge is going to ask for your cost log book on a 78 firebird.

Also, consider leaving it open and running wrist restraints... depending on how hot your race will be some extra air flow is always nice in long stints.

Probably a good idea. The race is going to be in June. We plan on making whatever we fill the holes with removable either way.

9 (edited by Mr.Yuck 2023-03-11 11:29 AM)

This is our old 84. The new 88 has a sunroof and we did the same thing. You can also remove all the old bracing for the t-tops, it takes off like 40lbs from the car. Getting these things down in weight is key for handling. We used a metal roller to blend it into the roofline. https://tinypic.host/images/2023/03/11/18527403_459651764384918_7539020190390378917_o5a2d39e8be936518.jpg

"get up and get your grandma outta here"