Topic: Hankook RS4 vs RT615k+ longevity

Has anyone here run RS4's and RT615's on the same vehicle/same size? Which one last longer, and by how much?

I've been happy with both, especially at their price point, but have zero reference for an apples-to-apples comparison. I'm shopping for tires for the 735i and for the prices I'm finding, the RS4's are about 25% more expensive.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Re: Hankook RS4 vs RT615k+ longevity

RS4 for me lasts x2 as rt615k+

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

kakarot1232001 wrote:

Whoa, thanks for the reply!

Full Ass Racing

I get 4 races out of rs4's before they start to lose grip.   They still have a decent amount of tread.   A lighter and or slower car could possibly get 6-8 ish races out of them before cording.

We use the RS 4's on both of the Focus Club cars and have been very happy with the grip to longevity ratio.
Not likely to switch back to the RT615's any time soon

We love the RS4's.  We've tried several alternates, and have always gone back to the RS4's.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I appreciate the replies guys, but just to clarify we've been running RS4's for years and have also been happy with them.

I'm mainly looking for apples to apples comparison on longevity between the two compounds (for those that have run the same car and back to back switched between RT615 and RS4) so I can guesstimate which has a better $/hour. I know RS4 lasts longer, but is also more expensive in my particular size.

Full Ass Racing

kakarot1232001 wrote:

I have frequently found this^ person to be succinct and direct in their responses.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
kakarot1232001 wrote:

I have frequently found this^ person to be succinct and direct in their responses.

I had to look up succinct hahahah

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

kakarot1232001 wrote:
Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
kakarot1232001 wrote:

I had to look up succinct hahahah

Ok

Hard to get apples to apples, but this is the best I have:

On our E30, RS4 seems to wear at 0.35 32nds per 100 miles, while the RT615k+ seems to wear at 0.48 32nds per 100 miles. Different tracks, different days, slightly different driver mix.

Both have about 7/32” tread near the shoulder. So at that rate, Falkens would last 1460 miles, and the Hankooks would last 2000 miles, if you rotated and got the maximum out of the tread.

If RS4s are 25% more expensive, that seems like a good deal since you are getting 37% more distance out of them.

Now what is the opposite of succinct?

Camper Van Someren wrote:

That's a tricky one as so much depends on context and nuance. Although it is tempting to employ a straightforward antonym such as "lengthy" in light of the etymological origins of "succinct" from "sub" plus "cingere" or, if you will, "to cinch underneath" in the sense of girding or shortening an article of clothing in preparation for action, this doesn't necessarily capture the full flavor of its use in modern English. Terms such as "long-winded" or "garrulous" come to mind, but those typically refer to speech instead of the written word, except metaphorically, of course. There are similar issues with "voluble" and "windy" as well. "Prolix" or "wordy" aren't bad, as they certainly can be applied to the written word without objection, but "prolix" is verging on the status of archaism these days, as is "turgid." The latter doesn't necessarily refer to length as such, but excessive ornateness, so it should only be used with due care. "Discursive" is a good choice if one wishes to avoid blatantly pejorative connotations, or "palaverous" if one wishes to be deliberately obscure. I could continue but I'll keep this brief so as not to ramble.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

That's a tricky one as so much depends on context and nuance. Although it is tempting to employ a straightforward antonym such as "lengthy" in light of the etymological origins of "succinct" from "sub" plus "cingere" or, if you will, "to cinch underneath" in the sense of girding or shortening an article of clothing in preparation for action, this doesn't necessarily capture the full flavor of its use in modern English. Terms such as "long-winded" or "garrulous" come to mind, but those typically refer to speech instead of the written word, except metaphorically, of course. There are similar issues with "voluble" and "windy" as well. "Prolix" or "wordy" aren't bad, as they certainly can be applied to the written word without objection, but "prolix" is verging on the status of archaism these days, as is "turgid." The latter doesn't necessarily refer to length as such, but excessive ornateness, so it should only be used with due care. "Discursive" is a good choice if one wishes to avoid blatantly pejorative connotations, or "palaverous" if one wishes to be deliberately obscure. I could continue but I'll keep this brief so as not to ramble.

Stealing this for my next race entry description. How should I credit you?

That guy

duthehustle93 wrote:

I appreciate the replies guys, but just to clarify we've been running RS4's for years and have also been happy with them.

I'm mainly looking for apples to apples comparison on longevity between the two compounds (for those that have run the same car and back to back switched between RT615 and RS4) so I can guesstimate which has a better $/hour. I know RS4 lasts longer, but is also more expensive in my particular size.

Soooo, the Dustbuster could get 5 races with test and tune out of 8 tires and 4 emergency spares for another race on RS4's.  Azenis, two races out of 6 tires with two emergency spares.

'47 Plymouth  2 full races with test and tune out or 4 tires and not a damned thing left on RS4's (no significant camber wear with that car) with the rears getting greasy by the end of a warm second race.  Azenis we only have one real data point in that we could not have finished our second race on 6 tires...but since we lost (yet another) T5 cutting 4 hours out of our race, we squeaked it out.

DirtyDuc wrote:
mharrell wrote:

[snip (most of)  the entertaining part, though this> is a gem - nicely done!]  I could continue but I'll keep this brief so as not to ramble.

Stealing this for my next race entry description. How should I credit you?

Save this for a team which races a Rambler?

Thanks for the replies all! Good to that the consensus is about 37-100% more life out of RS4's. Even at their worst case (37%), RS4's are still the way to go.

Full Ass Racing

I know a lot of people seem happy with RS4, but at AER last year I witnessed a team driving a pretty fast E46 come back in after about five hours of racing with huge chunks of rubber missing out of all four tires. Seemingly hankook had a quality issue at some point. Not sure if it's narrowed down to a specific batch or anything, but the AER teams all seemed to be moving on to other options.

We just ran 15 hours total (with 12.5 hours straight) on four new 615 azenis last weekend with no rotation and still have enough for the practice day at the next race.

Another benefit of RS4s that nobody covered is that's the series tire for lucky dog. So if you branch out you'll also be "tire legal" there.

I guess the best advice is buy both and see what works better for you, but the 615 isn't a bad choice by any means.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

KeiCarMike wrote:

Another benefit of RS4s that nobody covered is that's the series tire for lucky dog. So if you branch out you'll also be "tire legal" there.

Only if you buy their 'sticker' tires directly from their website.  I don't have a problem with that as it is cheaper than tire rack for me.  Why can't Lemons get us a tire deal.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:
KeiCarMike wrote:

Only if you buy their 'sticker' tires directly from their website.  I don't have a problem with that as it is cheaper than tire rack for me.  Why can't Lemons get us a tire deal.

They are partnered with Yokohama, who don’t make an endurance tire. Maybe they are developing a new product? That whole road mangler arrangement doesn’t make much sense to me.

KeiCarMike wrote:

I know a lot of people seem happy with RS4, but at AER last year I witnessed a team driving a pretty fast E46 come back in after about five hours of racing with huge chunks of rubber missing out of all four tires. Seemingly hankook had a quality issue at some point. Not sure if it's narrowed down to a specific batch or anything, but the AER teams all seemed to be moving on to other options.

We just ran 15 hours total (with 12.5 hours straight) on four new 615 azenis last weekend with no rotation and still have enough for the practice day at the next race.

I guess the best advice is buy both and see what works better for you, but the 615 isn't a bad choice by any means.

I think we've been through about a dozen sets of RS4's and they all seem to finally die by chunking rather than cording... but usually this is at the 40-50 race hour mark at 2-3/32nds, so no complaints.

Crazy that they let go that quickly. I haven't seen any of ours "chunk" quicker than other batches, so I'm not sure about the potential quality/batch issue. Maybe something about their setup just doesn't agree with RS4's? On my TA car, I delaminated a set of A052's, which this compound isn't known to do at all. Every other compound, including RT660 (which is known to delaminate) wears perfectly on the TA car.

Full Ass Racing

They are partnered with Yokohama, who don’t make an endurance tire. Maybe they are developing a new product? That whole road mangler arrangement doesn’t make much sense to me.

They have been and it's out now: https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan-neova-ad09

I only just saw the first two sets of the AD09 at Gingerman and they weren't on cars that ran all weekend so YMMV (literally), but depending on size, it's comparable in price to the Dunlop or the Continental option. I haven't read outright claims that it's meant for endurance racing, but Tire Rack's reviews last year lumped it in with the RS4 and the Continental. I asked for details and got redirected to their own page, but the construction looks pretty similar to some other 200TW endurance tires.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

22 (edited by chaase 2023-06-27 07:48 AM)

therood wrote:

They have been and it's out now: https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan-neova-ad09

I only just saw the first two sets of the AD09 at Gingerman and they weren't on cars that ran all weekend so YMMV (literally), but depending on size, it's comparable in price to the Dunlop or the Continental option. I haven't read outright claims that it's meant for endurance racing, but Tire Rack's reviews last year lumped it in with the RS4 and the Continental. I asked for details and got redirected to their own page, but the construction looks pretty similar to some other 200TW endurance tires.

I like some of the Yokohama tires but on the Saturn sizes, they like $30 a tire more than the Falken Azensis. It may be worth trying a set once to see if they wear longer but if its only going to last a singe race, its too expensive for us.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

therood wrote:

So get us hooked up with a Lemons buy direct program like other smaller series have!

rb92673 wrote:
therood wrote:

So get us hooked up with a Lemons buy direct program like other smaller series have!

Look, we get it and it's something Jay and I have been talking about a lot lately.

As far as we can tell, the program of the "other smaller series" is an avenue neither Lemons nor Yokohama have any interest in undertaking. We're not going to mandate people run a certain tire from a certain supplier, full stop.

We have explored other avenues with Yokohama--who like most tire companies, don't have a direct retail arm--and we have both found suppliers unwilling to take on any version of the program. We had gotten some traction with one supplier before the pandemic, but it was a pretty drawn-out process that got absolutely TNT'd by 2020. The complication of the logistics crunch during and immediately after the pandemic seems to have turned several such companies off to the idea of additional large-scale agreements (or maybe just turning them off of Lemons).

It's possible that people on the board are better connected than we and Yokohama's motorsports division are, though. If you know a Lemons person who runs a tire warehousing/supplier that is capable of shipping tires nationwide for a series with a potential current fleet of 1000+ vehicles, feel free to put me in touch with them.

Edit to add: Not trying to be snarky with that last bit. These kinds of things happen because people have an in with someone, but I also don't want to undersell the potential scale of any Lemons supply program.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
rb92673 wrote:
therood wrote:

Look, we get it and it's something Jay and I have been talking about a lot lately.

As far as we can tell, the program of the "other smaller series" is an avenue neither Lemons nor Yokohama have any interest in undertaking. We're not going to mandate people run a certain tire from a certain supplier, full stop.

We have explored other avenues with Yokohama--who like most tire companies, don't have a direct retail arm--and we have both found suppliers unwilling to take on any version of the program. We had gotten some traction with one supplier before the pandemic, but it was a pretty drawn-out process that got absolutely TNT'd by 2020. The complication of the logistics crunch during and immediately after the pandemic seems to have turned several such companies off to the idea of additional large-scale agreements (or maybe just turning them off of Lemons).

It's possible that people on the board are better connected than we and Yokohama's motorsports division are, though. If you know a Lemons person who runs a tire warehousing/supplier that is capable of shipping tires nationwide for a series with a potential current fleet of 1000+ vehicles, feel free to put me in touch with them.

Edit to add: Not trying to be snarky with that last bit. These kinds of things happen because people have an in with someone, but I also don't want to undersell the potential scale of any Lemons supply program.

Thanks for the reply and the inside information.  My post was slightly snarky.  At a significant difference in price, it is unlikely I will run Yokos over RS4s.  I also don't want to be a one tire series.

I will run Yokos if I can convince Spank to bring out the Mini again.  It's the only good tire you can get in 10"