Topic: Non CARB-legal fuel jugs in California races

We're an out of state team looking to venture into California for racing. We currently have a bunch of the 5-gallon VP jugs, which as far as I'm aware, are not legal for transporting fuel in CA.

Are we allowed to use these jugs on track for refueling in CA? If so, how have other teams been filling the jugs? Is this a don't-ask-don't-tell situation where teams bring the jugs onto the track already filled, and pray they don't get pulled over by the CHP?

2 (edited by BigBird 2023-04-15 03:19 PM)

Re: Non CARB-legal fuel jugs in California races

You'll be fine.Countless teams carry the red jugs back and forth from the local gas stations.As long as they are in the bed of a truck,strapped down and secure.If you are running at ThunderHill,for example,the nearby town is about 7 miles down the road,and most teams will hit the town and fill up on Saturday night.Just don't speed or drive like a dick on the way back to the track and you'll be alright......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

20+ races so far and have never heard of anyone getting busted in CA for non CARB cans.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

20+ races so far and have never heard of anyone getting busted in CA for non CARB cans.

God help you if you get caught removing mattress tags though.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

God help you if you get caught removing mattress tags though.

lol.. this state is insane.

To the OP... we've run hunsakers, modded VP's, unmodded VP's, etc, and never had any issues. When I started the team, we bought out a retired champcar team, and they were using a 50 gallon drum and a hand pump to transport their gasoline... which is a big no-no.. from both a legal and common-sense safety standpoint, but they made it years and never got in trouble.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i