Topic: Switch Panel Location Question

I see that most folks mount their switch panel either on the dash roll bar or on the transmission tunnel. Is there any prohibition from mounting it on the roll cage above, and directly in front of the driver? A slim panel would not impair the driver's line of vision and it would be far enough away from the driver to not be impacted in a crash. Thoughts?

2 (edited by chaase 2023-03-10 01:55 PM)

Re: Switch Panel Location Question

As long as it doesn't block drivers vision AND you can reach it while strapped in, its fine. If you can't reach it strapped, then don't do it. The kill switch should be in a place that's obvious AND easily reached by safety staff.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

As long as it doesn't block drivers vision AND you can reach it while strapped in, its fine. If you can't reach it strapped, then don't do it. The kill switch should be in a place that's obvious AND easily reached by safety staff.

That is what I was hoping to hear. The kill switch will be mounted separately and easily reached by the safety staff. This is just for the ignition and accessories.

tire_fire_racing wrote:

I see that most folks mount their switch panel either on the dash roll bar or on the transmission tunnel. Is there any prohibition from mounting it on the roll cage above, and directly in front of the driver? A slim panel would not impair the driver's line of vision and it would be far enough away from the driver to not be impacted in a crash. Thoughts?

If it is for convenience switches, keep in mind driver vision is severely limited when strapped in with a HANS.  All of mine are close to the steering wheel.  Switches on the transmission tunnel cannot be seen and are difficult to feel with gloves.  Roll cage above would be good if they can be reached while strapped in.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I wouldn't put a panel up there.  The body can stretch a ridiculously unbelievable amount in a big digger.  If your hands can reach up there, so can your head.  What put Michael Schumacher in his present condition wasn't his head directly hitting a rock, it was the gopro mounted on his helmet being driven into his skull.  Don't put anything remotely sharp where your head can reach it.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

6 (edited by DirtyDuc 2023-03-12 08:03 PM)

To add to my fellow captain's inputs, anything that isn't where it would be in a normal car will be difficult to find and identify by touch. I'm not a HSI engineer, but all my switches are visible to the right of the steering wheel and operable by the right hand. Sometimes a kill switch is on the left.

Reaching up is unnatural, and requires extra wiring.

That guy

I ended up mounting the switch box next to the handbrake.

https://i.postimg.cc/TKr5rgK5/PXL-20230418-171600637.jpg

Not ideal but also not too bad. Everything is easy to reach and it isn't difficult to operate belted in and wearing the HANS device.  It may get moved at some point if the location becomes a problem.

8 (edited by Zacks 2023-04-18 11:15 AM)

Did you get through tech with that? 

I thought the rules said the master kill must be reachable by someone OUTSIDE the vehicle.  (Like if you wreck and are incapacitated rescue workers could shut everything down)

I built a wood box for ours and mounted that to the intersection of the A pillar roll tube and dash bar roll tube, just left of the speedo.   I used the wood box to extend the switch closer to the driver so it is reachable.  It looks really clean cause the wiring is inside the box, and we could put the required sticker on the box.  It also sits above the window level slightly iirc the rules say it must be obvious to rescue workers, however I've seen many switches lower down and less visible.  I'm sure you can get away with other stuff but we really didn't wanna scramble to band aid our mistakes so tried to really follow the letter of the safety rules.

tire_fire_racing wrote:

Not ideal but also not too bad. Everything is easy to reach and it isn't difficult to operate belted in and wearing the HANS device.  It may get moved at some point if the location becomes a problem.

I don't see a kill switch in that picture, just some toggle switches.  A kill switch needs to disconnect the battery and alternator from everything else.  Also needs to be clearly identified as per rules.

Like this: https://store.24hoursoflemons.com/produ … 4864832666

10 (edited by tire_fire_racing 2023-04-18 11:57 AM)

rb92673 wrote:
tire_fire_racing wrote:

I don't see a kill switch in that picture, just some toggle switches.  A kill switch needs to disconnect the battery and alternator from everything else.  Also needs to be clearly identified as per rules.

Exactly, the battery isolator switch is mounted on the roll cage on the driver's left. Accessible from outside and by the driver while belted in.

We haven't go through tech yet. Our first Lemons event will be @ Gingerman in June.

tire_fire_racing wrote:
rb92673 wrote:
tire_fire_racing wrote:

Exactly, the battery isolator switch is mounted on the roll cage on the driver's left. Accessible from outside and by the driver while belted in.

We haven't go through tech yet. Our first Lemons event will be @ Gingerman in June.

Sorry, I thought this was a kill switch thread.

Lol oops that might be my bad, reread the op, somehow I got crossed uo with the other replies