Topic: Accusump mounting

Looking for real world advice from those running a accusump set up that have it mounted in the cockpit. Our car is a hatchback
   Pagel said the entire thing needs double containment. I get that you can run the hoses though a pipe, how do you seal the ends where the hose goes in and out of the double containment? What are you using to fair over the actual tank?
    They tell you what they want, but there is very little direction like they use in what they look for in a roll cage, or seat mounting, or what they look for on seat belts.
    My car is a hatchback with a small engine compartment and I’ve already emailed Pagel. So please don’t say put it in the engine compartment or trunk or better ask Pagel
    Thanks so much

Re: Accusump mounting

you could mount the accusump in passenger foot well or closest to where it needs be, only come out with the hose where the accusump is. and make a shield to cover the entire thing. You can add a digital pressure gauge to monitor accusump pressure remotely. Shield can be like 24ga steel or 0.050" aluminum, should be enough. its there to prevent hot sticky oil going all over and catching on fire.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

kakarot1232001 wrote:

you could mount the accusump in passenger foot well or closest to where it needs be, only come out with the hose where the accusump is. and make a shield to cover the entire thing. You can add a digital pressure gauge to monitor accusump pressure remotely. Shield can be like 24ga steel or 0.050" aluminum, should be enough. its there to prevent hot sticky oil going all over and catching on fire.

This is pretty much what we do. The accump is mounted in the passenger footwell boxed in with some plate. A line goes through the firewall out to the engine compartment.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

kakarot1232001 wrote:

Thanks! This is a great idea. I’m afraid I got one idea in my head and didn’t even think about other possibilities suck as just covering the who thing.
    Any suggestions on how to make the air port reasonably easily accessible?

JCH wrote:
kakarot1232001 wrote:

Thanks! This is a great idea. I’m afraid I got one idea in my head and didn’t even think about other possibilities suck as just covering the who thing.

We just made a hinged lid w/ 1/4 turn fasteners on it

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

JCH wrote:
kakarot1232001 wrote:

with the accusump, once set, rarely need to be adjusted. Just got to monitor the pressure. you will know when it crapped out when pressure goes to 0 when parked for a little bit. Probably can even use a low pressure switch instead of gauge.
I use a manual valve system, I stopped bothering closing/opening valve, its just open all the time. I marked dipstick with new high level to account for the accusump.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

7 (edited by duthehustle93 2023-05-01 10:28 AM)

+1... once proven to work and not leak, you'll very rarely need to get in there. Some rivet nuts holding down the sheet would probably even be fine, or dzus if you really wanna be fancy.

Are there oil pan baffling options? It sounds like you may have already made your decision... but do you actually have starvation issues? if your car is NA, stock power, and your not running a cheaty tire/making a ton of grip, you may be fine with just an oil pan baffle. Unpopular opinion, but stock cars running a harder tire, I prefer avoiding adding extra failure points to the oiling system (accusumps/coolers). One broken line or component and you've littered the track with oil and concurrently damaged an engine. A good modern oil can tolerate the elevated temperature and abuse, and I think most of our cars are slow enough in the corners to not oil starve with a baffle (so far our miata and 735i we've been able to avoid starving no baffle+overfilling oil 1/2qt). My TA miata will starve for a split second under hard braking or sustained cornering, but pulls more G's. I don't know how close the margin is for the 2 Lemons cars, but so far there's about 150 hours on the miata engine, and about 70 hours on the BMW engine.. both junkyard engines w/o a baffle, cooler or accusump, just decent synthetic oil.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

I know nothing about accusumps but we blew and engine due to oil starve in corners.  I think it's cause our car wasn't originally a sports car but we made it corner well.  Miatas and bmws may be designed for corners right?  Lucky for us a newer model year oil pan was a cheap solution.

Also what are "cheaty tires"?

duthehustle93 wrote:

+1... once proven to work and not leak, you'll very rarely need to get in there. Some rivet nuts holding down the sheet would probably even be fine, or dzus if you really wanna be fancy.

Are there oil pan baffling options? It sounds like you may have already made your decision... but do you actually have starvation issues? if your car is NA, stock power, and your not running a cheaty tire/making a ton of grip, you may be fine with just an oil pan baffle. Unpopular opinion, but stock cars running a harder tire, I prefer avoiding adding extra failure points to the oiling system (accusumps/coolers). One broken line or component and you've littered the track with oil and concurrently damaged an engine. A good modern oil can tolerate the elevated temperature and abuse, and I think most of our cars are slow enough in the corners to not oil starve with a baffle (so far our miata and 735i we've been able to avoid starving no baffle+overfilling oil 1/2qt). My TA miata will starve for a split second under hard braking or sustained cornering, but pulls more G's. I don't know how close the margin is for the 2 Lemons cars, but so far there's about 150 hours on the miata engine, and about 70 hours on the BMW engine.. both junkyard engines w/o a baffle, cooler or accusump, just decent synthetic oil.

Sadly we have broken 2 bottom ends due to oil starvation. One at a track day and one at a race. We already have a Moroso baffled pan, so it’s time for the next step.

Save yourself the trouble and mount it in the engine bay.

We were given grief for ours being in the passenger footwell. We moved it under the hood during an engine swap, no issues since.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Maybe I've just been insanely lucky, or blissfully ignorant. All of our cars have a low oil pressure buzzer/light that goes off at sub-7PSI. We've had that go off for the time attack Prelude and Miata, which run stickier tires and was fixed with a baffle and/or accusump. The two Lemons cars (miata and 735i), running an RS4 (slower) compound hasn't been able to set off the buzzer. The miata has been corner balanced, and aligned per years of pyrometer data, so it corners decent, and still hasn't set off the buzzer... for all we know it could be dipping to 8-10PSI, but we're also typically not WOT until we've exited the corner. We could have been playing with fire for years but it seems fine... miatas have a factory shitty baffle, but better than nothing. I don't think BMW factored in oil sloshing when engineering a 735i... but I'm not a BMW guy so I don't know, I just bought it because it was cheap, but it hasn't set off the buzzer with RS-RR's and a decent alignment. Was the oil topped off when the failure occurred? I'm sure we'd see our buzzer go off if we were a quart of two low on oil but we always keep it full to slightly overfilled and it's been okay. But I guess YMMV... we are running a BMW and a miata so maybe I'm not the best for advice here.

By cheaty tires I mean any super 200 tires... RT660, A052, RE71RS, etc. We run RS4s and they're quick but they're not making 100TW or (sometimes) hoosier levels of grip like the super 200 category.

Interesting the moroso pan didn't do the job. I have a door/gated style baffle I DIY'd for the time attack miata and oil pressure is solid even with hoosiers.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

duthehustle93 wrote:

Maybe I've just been insanely lucky, or blissfully ignorant. All of our cars have a low oil pressure buzzer/light that goes off at sub-7PSI.

I also put in an audible alarm in parallel with the oil light cause who looks at that in a corner

And I feel smart cause I found a 20psi oil switch and swapped it for stock so the alarm goes off earlier ie we get alarm at low pressure not alarm at its too kate pressure.

Saved our engine last race.  Driver came in and we had burned oil, we are fine until we go low.  Should have checked it earlier but we got greedy after hardly burning any day 1.

Zacks wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

Maybe I've just been insanely lucky, or blissfully ignorant. All of our cars have a low oil pressure buzzer/light that goes off at sub-7PSI.

I also put in an audible alarm in parallel with the oil light cause who looks at that in a corner

And I feel smart cause I found a 20psi oil switch and swapped it for stock so the alarm goes off earlier ie we get alarm at low pressure not alarm at its too kate pressure.

Saved our engine last race.  Driver came in and we had burned oil, we are fine until we go low.  Should have checked it earlier but we got greedy after hardly burning any day 1.

Audible alarm will likely not be useful. It's hard to hear anything. You are better off with a GIANT idiot light.

chaase wrote:

Audible alarm will likely not be useful. It's hard to hear anything. You are better off with a GIANT idiot light.

Make the alarm loud and shrill.  I mean it already worked.  Also I heard it when I drove as well.

I'm sure an idiot light can work but I fear driver tunnel vision.

Zacks wrote:
chaase wrote:

Make the alarm loud and shrill.  I mean it already worked.  Also I heard it when I drove as well.

I'm sure an idiot light can work but I fear driver tunnel vision.

your car may be quieter than ours but between the exhaust noise, other cars, helmets, and ear buds it is hard to hear much in ours

duthehustle93 wrote:

By cheaty tires I mean any super 200 tires... RT660, A052, RE71RS, etc. We run RS4s and they're quick but they're not making 100TW or (sometimes) hoosier levels of grip like the super 200 category.

Ah OK.  I was worried there was some unwritten rule like "all the cool kids don't run 200tw, if its not 400 it's not real Lemons" lol.

Sorry to derail the thread.