Topic: Hallett Travel/Exit Closure

Hey Hallett racers--as you know there is turnpike/Highway 412 construction around the exit for the racetrack. I've been getting bits and pieces of info from locals--I'd figure I'd share those here as well as encourage anyone in the area to add intel. I haven't verified any of this info, but maybe some of the folks in the area can confirm or deny:

From the SCCA:

The OK Turnpike Authority has notified us that on April 17th Cimarron Turnpike (Hwy 412) westbound exit #48 from Tulsa will be CLOSED for about a month. They will have a detour sign posted at the prior exit for Cleveland Hwy 48 (Detour option 2). See attached maps of recommended detour options. Please notify every SCCA participant for this event to take one of the 2 recommended detour routes to the track if coming from the East. Options 1 & 2 both will equally add 10-15 minutes to the travel time.

The Eastbound exit for Hallett at will NOT be closed so if driver misses Option 1 or 2 exits, then they will be forced to go Option 3 past Hallett another 10 miles west on Hwy 412 to Hwy 18 and take a u-turn back onto Turnpike going eastbound and this will add 20 minutes to the travel time instead of 10-15 minutes.

From a local who attended a Hallett event last weekend:

All entrance and exits were usable except the westbound exit from Tulsa, which is the one I needed. Siri directed me to the shortest alternate route which was to use the Cleveland Exit to HWY48. This is a circuitous path down a narrow terrible road through the scenic, historic and utterly depressing towns of Terlton and Jennings with a speed limit of 35.

The other alternate route would be to go north on 48 through Cleveland Ok, but repeating the phrase that has often passed the lips of many. Going to Cleveland is probably best to be avoided. As it is way very much out of the way.

The people at Hallett suggested staying on the turnpike to the Maramec exit and then coming back to  the eastbound exit to Hallett.

More info from the track:

The OK Turnpike Authority has closed Cimarron Turnpike (Hwy 412) westbound exit #48 from Tulsa will be CLOSED!  They will have a detour sign posted at the prior exit for Cleveland Hwy 48 (Detour option 2).  All other 3 ramps will be open.  See attached maps of recommended detour options.

Please notify every Lemons participant for this event to take one of the 2 recommended detour routes to the track if coming from the East.  Options 1 & 2 both will equally add 10-15 minutes to the travel time.  The Eastbound exit for Hallett at will NOT be closed so if driver misses Option 1 or 2 exits, then they will be forced to go Option 3 past Hallett another 10 miles west on Hwy 412 to Hwy 18 and take a u-turn back onto Turnpike going eastbound and this will add 20 minutes to the travel time instead of 10-15 minutes.  Most of the navigation systems seem to be telling drivers to take the shortest route using Highway 48 South then onto a road thru the town of Terlton that is NOT appropriate for large trucks/trailers - make sure to use Highway 48 North.

Please post any other info you might have in this thread!

Re: Hallett Travel/Exit Closure

Well, I'm obviously going through Terlton and Jennings, but I've also voluntarily driven through Picher-Cardin, Afton, and Commerce more than once.

See y'all at the track.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I plan to head out via 51 through Mannford, probably a wash on time but I know parts of the road are decent. Still have to pass through scenic Jennings but don't expect it to be an issue early.

dclafleur wrote:

I plan to head out via 51 through Mannford, probably a wash on time but I know parts of the road are decent. Still have to pass through scenic Jennings but don't expect it to be an issue early.

If you are coming from the east, this is the way to go.  Slightly more populated than going 412 all the way and not a bad route.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0