Topic: making "coilovers"..

so I got some used Konis for my miata and then the springs etc- I then realized I had to make it a coilover setup because appropriate springs aren't available in the 4" size yada yada yada... anyway, I got some cheapass coilover sleeves that rest on the spring mounts on the way but a question to the hive about mounting them. The konis I have have a circlip and come with spring mounts that slide on but are the 4" spring size. These mounts curl up on the sides but will stick way out past the 2.5" springs- should I leave them the way they are or cut them down to 2.5" diameter-ish. Should I just mount the spring mounts the normal way or even upside down?

Good answers appreciated, bad answers also appreciated, verbal abuse for having a miata is annoying- mine was actually $500 when bought (200k mi rustbucket from Maine!)

Thanks

El Capitan of Team Corky
94 Miata transitioning to BRG because she now identifies as a Lotus previously covered in cork as Mazda/Toyo Kogyo tribute then painted like the Queen's coffin
4 time tire raffle winner. (So I got that goin for me which is nice)

2 (edited by duthehustle93 2023-05-19 11:24 AM)

Re: making "coilovers"..

The best way to adapt coil sleeves onto circlip dampers is to put the coil sleeves onto the circlip, and turn out a step to encapsulate the circlip. For Bilsteins, the ID of an ebay sleeve is a perfect fit around the OD of the damper. For Koni, IIRC the OD of the damper is smaller so I guess it depends on what sleeves you bought on whether or not that will work. Ground control makes a sleeve for Koni, and I believe even Koni makes a cheaper sleeve for Koni. I believe Koni sleeves fit as is, and the ground control uses an adapter ring.

Once you decide how everything fits, I would highly highly recommend putting the sleeves on a lathe and counterboring the ID at the bottom so that the sleeve not only sits on the ring, but encapsulates the ring. I've seen that ring start to buckle out when people just plop something on top of the ring.

Assuming you don't have those resources... and I highly highly recommend going the route of properly fitting the sleeve and turnout out a step in the ID... I plopped sleeves onto the perch when I was in college and it seems OK for short term use. I stacked some thick orings around the shock body to keep the sleeve concentric and stable, and then slid it down onto the factory spring perch. Do not cut down the OD of the spring perch, the outer ring provides a lot of rigidity to prevent the perch from mushrooming out. I think I recall the circlip starting to do some sketchy things though at which point I made some encapsulating adapters in the school lathe.

Again, I highly recommend figuring out how to adapter or machine the sleeves to encapsulate the ring... I've done a few iterations of short cuts and every time the circlip started trying to escape. I've never dropped a sleeve, but if it sketched me out in college when I was broke and had zero self-preservation it must have been pretty sketchy.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

I love that a well written informative reply from someone who experienced a very similar issue was available in less than 30 minutes. We are a bunch of silly idiots but holy shit are we a great community! Thanks duthehustle93!

El Capitan of Team Corky
94 Miata transitioning to BRG because she now identifies as a Lotus previously covered in cork as Mazda/Toyo Kogyo tribute then painted like the Queen's coffin
4 time tire raffle winner. (So I got that goin for me which is nice)

Merkurs do this as well to convert the stock struts to "coilovers".

The "ground control" store that sells those kits might have something that works (or at least ideas) for you as well:
https://groundcontrolstore.com/collecti … azda-miata

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

5 (edited by rozap_ 2023-05-30 08:49 PM)

I did this. I cut off the old mounts and used various sizes of tube to retain the adjustment sleeves.

Detail here https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php? … ost-417786 scroll down a bit to pics of shitty coils.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

rozap_ wrote:

I did this. I cut off the old mounts and used various sizes of tube to retain the adjustment sleeves.

Detail here https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php? … ost-417786 scroll down a bit to pics of shitty coils.

You know, it had never occurred to me there would be an X1/9 enthusiast forum, but here we are.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Minus paint, tires, movement of said car and a few others…..here’s the next list before the next list, before the last list.

Install four new soft brake lines
Bleed brakes
Mount tires
Remove windshield from parts car
Install non-broken glass
Paint car
Rear rotors and pads
Coolant temp gauge
Oil cooler hooked up
Patch all holes in sheet metal/firewall
Rear view mirror?
Ducting for clutch
Install seat and harnesses

1992 Super Coupe minus the super part. It’s heavy, but it makes up by being underpowered and way under geared.

Did you mean to post this on another post, instead of bumping a topic six months old?

lowbudgetjunk wrote:

Minus paint, tires, movement of said car and a few others…..here’s the next list before the next list, before the last list.

Install four new soft brake lines
Bleed brakes
Mount tires
Remove windshield from parts car
Install non-broken glass
Paint car
Rear rotors and pads
Coolant temp gauge
Oil cooler hooked up
Patch all holes in sheet metal/firewall
Rear view mirror?
Ducting for clutch
Install seat and harnesses

1992 Super Coupe minus the super part. It’s heavy, but it makes up by being underpowered and way under geared.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)