Re: 1973 Saab Sonnet, Free to a good home. Aurora, IL

don't send it to the scrapper!
i can take it off your hands
i just cannot make it out to Illinois for a while...

I would grab it, but it be september/october time frame.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

since I love--
"you race WHAT???" type of cars....

eh...
up to what height driver will this accommodate??

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

I'm a little curious why nobody's thinking of putting a motorcycle engine in this thing?  Virago, Shadow... maybe a Hayabusa engine if you're feeling suicidal...

puttcharlie wrote:

I'm a little curious why nobody's thinking of putting a motorcycle engine in this thing?  Virago, Shadow... maybe a Hayabusa engine if you're feeling suicidal...

I vote Triumph Rocket 3 motor/trans setup. It's a shaft-driven setup, so adapting wouldn't be THAT difficult. Plus, it'd still be bigger, and lighter, than 90% of all the other 4-cylinder engines in the field.  LOL

Jeremy
Racecar: '93 Mustang GT, stock, Lemons prepped, PITA - https://www.facebook.com/PrincessButtercupRacing, Soon-To-Be Racecar: '95 318ti
DD: '21 Jeep Wrangler
Fun vehicle: '13 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

Per Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_two-stroke

Saab also made some experimental V6 engines, by mounting two three cylinder two-stroke engines together, at an angle. One had carburetors on the outside, while another was more conventional, with a carburetor in between the two blocks.

Since I doubt we're going to be able to stage a nighttime raid on the Saab Museum for these engines, I'd suggest heading down to your local marina and doing some magnet fishing for something like this:

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/busines … st/200-60/

(since the snowmobile-engined route has already been done, and, yes, it was awesome to be on track as the _fast_ result passed us)

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=15354

fleming95 wrote:

Per Wikipedia:

Saab also made some experimental V6 engines, by mounting two three cylinder two-stroke engines together, at an angle. One had carburetors on the outside, while another was more conventional, with a carburetor in between the two blocks.

Far be it from me to cast doubt on an unsupported assertion in Wikipedia but I've been pretty seriously involved in SAAB two-strokes for about twenty years now and I've never encountered any reference to such engines. It sounds like someone misunderstood a secondhand description of the Monster, which as far as I know is SAAB's only attempt along these lines. It's not a vee configuration, though:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profi … in-engine/

Still, if anyone knows more about these alleged attempts at making a two-stroke V6 by combining two threes I'd be delighted to know more.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

We'll take the lovely Saab if it's still available Chad.

I tried to send a message through the Forum, but not sure whether you've received it.

Please advise and we'll move forward.

Cheers,
Bob

Is the Saab still available?

Chad, please DM me.  We've got a motivated team ready to take that car to the next level.

Thank you,
Bob

Still free to a good home.  Come get it and it's yours...

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

Bump

Has anyone claimed the Saab yet?

I'm part of a group looking to start a Lemons team around the Madison, WI area and we are very interested

I'm also interested, in case something doesn't work out. Have a team on the east coast itching for a road trip with the trailer.

Dropped a forum email.

That guy

40 (edited by SamIam_HuRU 2023-09-14 11:05 PM)

Dearest Chad & Company:

Outstanding.  I am extremely interested in towdollying your terrific Sonnet III from Aurora to San Diego, where my eclectic team will take her to a new level of effluence.

I fell in love with the Sonnet III in 1972, and restored an orange/black '74 abandoned field car as my daily driver from '84-'86 in Buffalo, NY.  I named her Giselle after my first real-life crush.  She was indestructable until salt/rust/cancer finally got the better of her brake lines, so I sold her to an Ice Racer in the Finger Lakes.  Wrenching and racing your car will be a 55-year dream.

Please call or text my mobile # to discuss logistics: 619.838.0196.

Zoom!  Zoom!

-Sam

I'm posting this up again.  Unfortunately, the taker just can't make the scheduling work to come get the Sonnet from my driveway.  Come get it and it's yours.

Good morning, My brother and I are starting down the Lemons rabbit hole, if the Sonnet is still available one or both of us could pick it up in the next week or two. I emailed Eric because I wasn’t able to login to my forum account earlier, he said he would pass on my email to you. If you don’t have my email address let me know.

Thanks

Hey, is the Saab still available?

44 (edited by chadadams59 2023-11-25 09:33 AM)

FireHabitat wrote:

Hey, is the Saab still available?

Sorry...Yes it is!  text me and we'll arrange a pickup.  847 636 9877

intersted   
rich 609-712-0206

If its not gone yet I'll come pick it up tomorrow evening. Let me know.

what is the status of the Sonnet?
gone?
we all love a SAAB!

Well we're near Chicao, and would love to take it off your hands if it's still an option? And we would like whatever extra parts you already have.