1 (edited by CWracer 2023-06-06 06:30 PM)

Topic: Parking Brake

We are building a C4 and the parking brake is not in a good location.  Is there any reason to keep it?  Brakes are already redundant.  If everything fails - brake pedal falls off - you could turn off the engine and leave in gear.

Is the e-brake required for Lemons or Champ?

Re: Parking Brake

Not required but convenient.  It's no fun having your car roll away while you are fueling it.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Be really careful setting the parking brake while the brakes are hot, particularity if your car uses the normal brakes instead of a separate drum inside the rear rotor. Holding the hot pads against the hot rotor can fuse them together, or warp the rotor as heat is held in that area.

Parking brake can be useful in other situations for sure though. But it is not required, and plenty of teams remove it. Ours is installed, but we cut the cables after one of them seized and left it almost impossible to release.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I'm with (see above). Engaging a parking/e-brake while the brakes are toasty will cause more issues than the car "running away during a pit stop out of sheer fear". We converted the rear from drum to disc and decided to not hook up the e-brake cables (too much of a PITA). When we were at CMP (not sure about other tracks), the hot pits were pretty level and we didn't have any issues with rolling away while fueling. Leave it in gear or throw some chalks behind a wheel if you're concerned, but you won't have a problem.

Jeremy
Racecar: '93 Mustang GT, stock, Lemons prepped, PITA - https://www.facebook.com/PrincessButtercupRacing, Soon-To-Be Racecar: '95 318ti
DD: '21 Jeep Wrangler
Fun vehicle: '13 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

if it is in gear and the motor off, you would have to be on significantly un-level ground to have the car move. Shouldn't ever be an issue at the track.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Both our cars came without a handbrake. I would prefer to have it, but mainly because having a handbrake is nice when it's loaded in the trailer. At the actual race, we don't miss it much, but  there have been a couple occasions where it would be a nice to have. Basically, you don't need it per rules, but it is sometimes nice to have.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Ours has come in quite handy when loading the car on the trailer.  We typically don't delete things unless were are 100% sure they are unnecessary.  Yeah I'm looking at all of you who deleted your defroster and wonder why you can't see when it rains.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I like having it for the trailer or non race storage.   It also has potential to give you at least a little braking if your main hydraulic system has an issue.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Parking brakes don’t get more awkward than in the C4… it’s in the door jamb. The one I’m very slowly building had it deleted by the previous builders who ran it in Lemons and NASA. I’d keep it if it were nice and central like the Passat, just a handle on the tunnel. But the C4 one certainly gets in the way.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

rb92673 wrote:

Not required but convenient.  It's no fun having your car roll away while you are fueling it.

that's what 2nd gear is for. We run an 88 Firebird 305 5speed, no Ebrake.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

How well does that 2nd gear thing work out for you when you are working on a problem with the car running?  This is when an e-brake is convenient.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

12 (edited by OnkelUdo 2023-06-09 09:44 AM)

cheseroo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

How well does that 2nd gear thing work out for you when you are working on a problem with the car running?  This is when an e-brake is convenient.

Same arguement can be made for wheel chocks if we are honest.

Sonic wrote:

It also has potential to give you at least a little braking if your main hydraulic system has an issue.

Great point, my first race we didn't think keeping track of wear on oreilly pads throughout the day was important and we ended up eventually using the pad, then backing plate, then piston as a friction material... until eventually we launched the piston out of the caliper. Luckily that car had a handbrake and it definitely made it easier to limp it off the track.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

cheseroo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Never had an issue... we use jack stands and wheel chalks when needed. It is just a preference.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

As other's have stated, they are handy. I prefer our cars with them for non-racing stuff.

I also know C4 Corvettes have the parking brake on the left side of the drivers seat in a crappy location even for street use.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z